Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

mf chars

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by p-blizzy, Mar 9, 2004.

1. p-blizzy

p-blizzy IncGamers Member

mf chars

i currently have no items for any character. this would be my first character so i would like to get it right the first time through. i know there is no best char but i would like to know what would be the best starting out character to start as a mf character?

2. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

The easiest char to start with imo is a sorc. Why you ask? Any melee char's dmg is based on his weapon, so you need a good weapon to be effective , which you dont have. Same goes for amazon. Now whats left: Sorc, necro and elemental druid. Nec and ele druid lack the teleporting abilities you need to do Meph runs easily. And as we all know Meph runs are the easiest runs. So I'd go for a sorc. If you ONLY want to mf, a blizzard sorc is the most effective for mephi and Pindle, but if you want some flexibility go for meteor/frozen orb. That way you can solo some quest more easily.

3. Gorny

Gorny Banned

If you use a Sorc, you will run into imunity problems in NM somewhat and even more in hell. You may want to try a Hammerdin, Strafe-a-zon, or a mancer of some sort.

Fulx's MF guide :
    http://www.diabloii.net/strategy/x-guides/magic-find.shtml

Shadow_247's Pit MF Guide ( Includes some character build guide for Magic Find)

http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=532

More Paladin Guides, take a look at Ragnarod's Hammerdin Guide.

http://forums.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=127071

Thinking of using a necro for MF ? Read here :

http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=509

Hope all this helps!

4. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

The most common mf char peeps first build is a sorc. Teleporting is a HUGE advantage. A dual elemental build (most common is cold/fire - orb/meteor) can go to many of the poular mf spots and hold her own. One suggestion alos is hiring an act2 Defiance merc to help take some of the heat of yer sorc, while boosting her defense at the same time. U can also build one fairly cheap, as there are some nice rares out there for sorc class.

A summon Necro is probably the cheapest to build....

5. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

I fully recommend the Summoner Necro. They may not have all the strengths of a 1-trick sorceress, but they have none of their weaknesses. They can also reliably run several areas that can be problems for sorcs. Most notably The Pit. Summoner Necros fit anywhere because they are mostly physical damage dealers, and with a couple of Exceptions, nothing is physically immune to a necromancer.

Barbarians do great as MF characters. I have to disagree with the post that you have to sacrifice MF to have a 'great weapon'. That's what your weapon switch is for. Using the Find Item skill is just the same as making a kill. You keep some Ali Babas on weapon switch for Horking (using find item) and you get some good stuff, or saving the last hit for your Mercenary.

All of my opinions are coming from a Hardcore point of view. Personally, who cares what you use for MF if dying isn't a big deal? But if you want to stay alive, Necros are the way to go.

6. Richard-gm39

Richard-gm39 IncGamers Member

I strongly suggest not making a MF barb. You can no longer leech off meph and baal in hell and it's always so annoying having to switch weapons for effective MF. Also, if running the pit it's not like your going to switch for every single monster, what a nm! A meteorb sorc is definitely the way to go, unless you think you will get hold of Enigma, in that case I suggest a hammerdin (has chagres of teleport and MF%).

7. skilledlord

skilledlord IncGamers Member

flux mf guide is outdated...

8. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Geee! I knew that!!! But it is a good start for someone that is just starting out, and may not have the rescources that some of us playing for ages do.

Did you ever think of that ???

9. bwirum

bwirum IncGamers Member

Still, even without an enigma, a hammerdin is a good choice, due to the vigor (syn to hammers) it's relatively fast to get to the pits, and you want to get every monster down there anyhow, so you won't be doing too much teleporting in there. The pit is a nice place to find nice items, rares, charms, runes etc. Easy to find, easy to do.

10. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

I offer for free good mf boots for low level char (lvl 25)

defense 56
    increased run speed 20%
    + 25% heal stamina
    +30% cold resistance
    magic find 25%

PM me if you're interested.

11. Nilie

Nilie IncGamers Member

I needed a good char to start and get gear for other future char's so I chose a Fishymancer and am having a ball with him. He needs very little gear and lvl's up quite fast..mine is now 77 and in Act 1 Hell and I'm doing NM Meph runs and getting some nice drops. Might consider giving one a try..good luck :)

12. fishman

fishman IncGamers Member

MF sorcs are very popular for Meph runs/Baal runs. You might want to check out the variety of MF threads usually going in the Single Player Forum to get and idea of what gear to use and what you can expect to find. I have had some trouble with dual immune monsters in NM, but nothing I haven't been able to handle (or run my scared little butt away from) :lol:

13. Bullet-Tooth Tony

Bullet-Tooth Tony IncGamers Member

Eldritch/Shenk MF runs are also very popular. They are two superunique monsters very close to the Frigid Highlands waypoint in Act 5. Go a little bit forward to the FH area from the waypoint to find Eldritch the Rectifier, and then return to Bloody Foothils to kill Shenk the Overseer. Pindleskin (a skeleton beyound the portal, that Anya opens to you - also in Act 5) can also be added to the run.
    A Lightning Fury amazon is the best way to do it. A typical LF build is this: LF = 20, Pierce (very important!) = 15+ (ideally maxed), Charged Strike = 20 (synergy to LF and also used to kill single targets). Titan's Revenge javelin is one of the best weapons for it. LF Javazon is a queen of killing big non-lightning immune mobs. The bigger is a mob, the more damage LF makes. It will wipe out Eldritch and Shenk with their groups in seconds - IMHO, no other builds can beat LF javazon in that.

14. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

Remember, he has NO item whatsoever. The summonmancer will work, but running the pit is really slow, and without any mf he's not gonna find any good stuf (ok, maybe an eth BA, but that's not what he's looking for :p). I suggested a sorc (meteorb is the best imo as a starting char) because you can easily find an orb with 20fcr and skills, and a lot of people give wiz spikes away for free. I tested it, even if I only used my wizspike I can easily run NM meph and even Hell meph, although I almost died to the poison attack and had like -80 res :uhhuh: Nm meph can drop some usefull stuf, and you'll probably never die. Strafezon -hammerdin need better equipment to be equally effective. Have you ever tried a zon untwinked ? It takes ages to kill anything ^_^