Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mf Bug?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Patch Bug Reports & Suggestions' started by Aldragon, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Aldragon

Aldragon IncGamers Member

Mf Bug?

Has anyone heard of the mf bug?
    And if you have plz explain
    thx aldragon

2. th5418

th5418 Banned

No i dont think ther is a MF bug.

3. Snarlin Stef

Snarlin Stef IncGamers Member

its weird... i find more with 400 MF than i do with 700 MF... i dunno why... i been playing arund with MF fora while and it just doesnt make sense... 400 seems to produce more top quality uniqs than 700 does.

not sure if its a bug or not... ijust use 400 MF on pindle and i find GOOOOOODLY stuffs

4. BuddySativa

BuddySativa IncGamers Member

Yup, MF IS bugged.

But only in the minds of people who try to 2nd guess a random event and feel they can determine overall statistics from biased models

E.g., I did 10 Meffi runs with 125% and got 3 arkaines, then I did 100 meffi runs with 200% MF and got loads of crap. Therefore, 125% is better than 200%.

What a load of old tosh, out of the mouths of babes.

I don't hear anyone using the same example and saying "Doing less meffi runs is better than doing more" - and yet the same 'erroneous statistic' can be derived from the same information.

More MF definitely helps - that is all you need to know.

Everything else is pure fantasy.

5. SicneZZ

SicneZZ Banned

There WAS an mf bug/exploit, and here is it how it went

Take a char that hasnt done meph quest.
    Join to the game which allready has the meph quest done(exp. baalrun)
    Kill the meph, for some odd reason you gained to drop as you would killed the meph first time and you could do this over and over again.

6. BuddySativa

BuddySativa IncGamers Member

Well...

I've done numerous (into the 100's) of Meffi & Baal runs in Hell with chars lvl 70 to 91, ranging MF from 40 to 450.

For my part, they seem to drop the same whether it's your 1st or umpteenth time - this is my experience. More MF does make more rare/set/uniq drops occur - but there is no 'Magic MF Number' or 'MF'ing setup' or 'Uber L33t Item Grabbing MF Trick #6' There is no Magic Formula, no breakpoints - just misinformation.

Ok, so the 1st time you may get 5 rares and a uniq - but subsequent runs can still yield 4 rares+ with multiple uniq drops (best was 3) and multiple set drops (best was 3). Yes, you still get 6 drops in a row full of crap blues - but the uniqs & sets DO drop far more from Meffi & Baal (and no doubt other super uniqs) than other 'normal' bosses - they do for me anyway :).

So, I'm a little bit dubious about Blizz saying they drop less after 1st kill (misinformation on their part?). There are many others out there reporting good Meffi & Baal drops even after the first kill - and not from joining a game with the Meffi quest being done when you haven't done it.

I do 99% of my MF'ing in solo games - this does not affect the quantity or quality of Meffi/Baal drops and is a lot quicker.

Good news though ... my faith in Shenk has been renewed - he dropped Eaglehorn in Hell the other night :)

And best drops so far are Andariels Visage from Baal (on the 50th+ kill) and Arkanes Valour from 1st pit run.

One thing that does seem to have improved is the rune drop from Hephasto in both NM and Hell. I never saw more than 3 IST's in 1.09 (I don't trade) and have so far seen 5 from Hephasto Hell from 12 characters doing him.

Never seen 'The Clone Boy' yet ... luck, luck, and luck again.

C'est la vie.

7. 694095

694095 IncGamers Member

You have to consider that MF is merely an improvement on CHANCE. So yes Mephisto will have a chance to drop 3 uniques and 2 rares and whatever junk, anytime. But without MF your chances of that are slim, espeically after first kill. The first kill that completes the quest is just a boost on his treasure class and takes into account your MF. Note that MF does not affect end bosses after this first kill. If you help a char kill an act boss for the quest, this is still considered a first kill.
    Also, usually the more MF you have, the less power your character has. If you can kill monsters twice as fast by reducing your MF from 700 - 500, you have a better chance of getting better drops overall. Maxing your MF for end bosses is still favorable, though.

8. Ryshenron

Ryshenron IncGamers Member

he might be talkin about the bugged ring that appeared on ebay for useast ladder

9. amphreded

amphreded IncGamers Member

i had a double claw pheonix strike sin who i use to mf on mephisto (she has enigma, hence teleport). there were once, around 10 consecutives runs those i got good stuffs all the time. i was around 350% mf, and during those 10 runs i got 3 grisworlds, 2 trangs, 2 natayla, 4 immortal king, full tal rasha, andariel visage, bonehew, 2 mara, shako, witchwild, and alot of really good stuffs that i cant remember. it was so good that it made me think that something was bugged (too good to be true). but i took the opportunity and milked it, until i found a gheed fortune. i was really happy since it was my first gheed fortune.

by that time i decide to go for more mf since i just had lots of good stuffs. and there i was with:
    shako with ist - 75% mf
    gold wrap - 30%
    chance guard - 37%
    2 jade talons, both found during those meph runs, socketed with ist - 60%
    enigma - 86%
    2 nagel rings - 60%
    war traveller, from one of those runs - 45%
    amulet of good luck - 35%
    mf scs - 77%
    gheed - 28%

533% mf

i was happy with my new mf gear and so i continued meph runs. and after that, most of the stuffs i got from meph are either magic or rares, or really bad sets (isenheart, saigon) or normal uniques. so i thought there's some kind of mf bug here; so i changed my gear back to around 300% mf and still he was still giving me crappy stuffs. so my feeling is that when i triggered the gheed charm, something about the charm degrades item drops from meph.

thats just my story and feeling, probably its just bad luck

10. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

I call bs. First of all, U said U found 22 elite set and unique items in 10 meph runs. Impossible. And to top it all, U say meph dropped items which we all know he CAN'T drop. Nice waste of space there.....

Anyway, I see VERY odd patterns w/ mfing....I can do 30-40 runs w/ only 2 uniques dropping, then the next day do 30-40 runs and have uniques drop in almost every single run, w/ several runs dropping 2x uniques.

This is a consistent pattern, which seems to go beyond the realm of 'luck' and 'randomness'. If it happend once I would think it odd, but believeable. But this is consistent. All runs based on same char w/ 450+ mf.....

11. amphreded

amphreded IncGamers Member

well i wasnt lying. to be clear, i was playing single player (not on bnet) for my assasin - so maybe thats more possible with single player?. i was doing approximately 10 meph runs that i got those sets and uniques and i said i thought it was a bug because it was too good to be true. and im not the most diehard fan of the game out there and i dont have the knowledge of what monsters can drop what or not, but during those 10 or more runs, he really did drop around 3 sets and a unique or two each time (no rare, no magic) until i found gheed. you mentioned that meph cant drop some of items i wrote down, but that was what really happened to me. call me a liar if u intend to.
    well that was my best shot to try to explain that it really happened. u dont hav to believe me, cuz i believed it was a bug myself.

12. Zenkat

Zenkat IncGamers Member

To clarify what mr. 694095 said before. MF DOES work on bosses. It was destined to be eliminated in the beta, but it returned for the final version. On top of this, there are 2 drop classes for the act bosses. One, which drops much nicer items usually, is when a person who kills the boss hasnt finished that boss quest yet.

This has been taken advantage of on Baal mostly, where someone who has finished the Baal quest creates a game, and someone who hasnt killed Baal is the one to slay him. Thus they dont get the quest, and Baal drops from his nicer drop class.

There's a rumor this was patched, i havent investigated it yet.

As for the original posters idea of an "mf bug", ive never heard of one. All i know of is the bug with andariel that lets her drop like your first time killing her, and drops rares/sets/uniques regardless of you wearing any mf.

13. kle02

kle02 IncGamers Member

I thought ladder, SP, Open bnet had higher drop rates while Standard had a lower one. Because the best crappy drop I got today was 2 berserker's hatchets and milabregas rod lol and it was all from NM meph.

14. Shek

Shek Banned

That guy who said he found "all tal rasha's" set off Meph. You can't find the armor off Meph, he can't drop it. So you're just full of shi7.

Shek