Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Meterorb sorc viable? Gear suggestions please

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Harleyquin, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Harleyquin

Harleyquin IncGamers Member

Meterorb sorc viable? Gear suggestions please

I got no replies on my initial thread in the sorceress forum, so I will beg for suggestions here:)

Thinking of making my first meterorb sorc using following skil distribution:
    20 frozen orb
    17 Cold Mastery
    20 Meteor
    20 Fireball
    20 Fire Mastery
    1 Telekinesis
    1 Teleport
    1 Static Field
    1 Warmth
    Remaining points used up by prereqs

And the following stat point distribution:
    110 strength (No strength bug, enough for war belts)
    Base dex
    Every available point not used in vitality
    100 Energy (Too much?)

Conditions for gear in order of importance:
    1. Resists
    2. Skills
    3. Magic find

I can't use ladder only runewords since I only play single player on players1. I don't play multiplayer games either. So recommendations on what equipment I should use would be most welcome. I have read Sasja's Meterorb guide but I was hoping if there was anything else I could look for in general terms

2. SeDnA

SeDnA IncGamers Member

I'd say ditch energy, you know, don't add any.

Also I'd say too much CM since FO is just a backup skill. Main skills are FB+Meteor. 7-10 points in CM is good enough. The rest goes into fbolt.

Oops Gear:
    Ptopaz Shako
    Wizardspike
    PDiamond Lidless
    Chains of... I mean, Tal Rasha's Guardianship
    Tal Rasha's Adjudication
    Tal Rasha's Fine-Spun Cloth.
    WarTrav/SandTreks
    Chance Guards
    Resist Rings/Nagelrings

Charms: Resist/MF/Whatever you can spare.

3. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

yayz, another meteorb thread!
    either way, if you take a friendly suggestion from me, use the search function and peek into some of the few thousand meteorb threads out there, to find all the info you ever need.

Personally i don't like having CM that high up, since -res is capped at 100 and you can safely count on having some +skills. but that is a matter of taste.
    also maxing FM and not putting points into Fire Bolt might be suboptimal depending on the amount of +skills you have, use the splendid elemental skill calc for finding out what is the best distribution for you:
    http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e9325732/skillcalc

as for your gear, since i have no clue on what you have i can't tell you what to wear. for normal make leaf and stealth, they are cheap and helpful. same goes for rhyme, which grants you almighty CBF, which is important, since i reckon you are lacking Ravenfrost. gloves, boots, rings even helmet should be sources of mf if you dont have good uniques to wear (for a helmet a 3PT socketed whatever is perfect if you don't have shako. or Lore if you have a Sol rune). once you are high enough level, you should gamble/craft an amulet with +sorc skills on it...ask a more specific question, if you have problems.

a meteorb can actually make it to NM Mephisto with a cracked short sword, and he can drop a lot of things that will make you rather viable later on.

edit: Sedna was quicker. Though I would vote against the wizardspike. I would even prefer a +2 skills rare orb to it, not to mention occulus. If you have serious mana trouble than switch the chanche guards for a pair of Frosties.

4. Harleyquin

I maxed fire mastery since it increases the damage of meteror more than the fire bolt mastery alone, I do know that my fireball damage suffers for it though.

I have yet to start the character hence I'm fishing for suggestions, but thanks for the recommendations (even if the resists are a bit low).

My meterorb sorc will actually use Frozen Orb as the main attack with Meteor as a powerful secondary (hopefully). I read somewhere that Cold Mastery really helps in getting the orb damage higher rather than the pitiful 2% synergy of ice bolt hence I went for 17 as a target (I expect 5-10 since I will probably get stuck around level 85 leaving the rest of the points investment into cold mastery)

5. farting bob

farting bob Banned

All looks good. If you follow the skill and stat suggestions in sasja's guide, you'll be in good shape. Just remember, CM is usually put at 17 after +skill items, so i would put it between 12 and 15 in hard skill points, then by hell you should be at least at lvl 17.
    Also, a meteorb is very viable at above players 1 for most of the game. Its possible with a good item setup to do P8 hell all the way (maybe not for ancients since its pointless).
    anyway, my biggest tip for all sorcs is: Learn to love teleport. Always have it hotkeyed and make sure you use it whenever its needed.

6. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

Yep, the 2% synergy is definitely not worth it. CM is very helpful as long as long as it is effective, but mind that it will not decrease any foe's resistance below 100%, as i said earlier.
    Either way, it is really a matter of preference. The way i play my sorc is that i use FB against anything that is not Fire Immune (and meteor in some special situations when it is useful), and save orb against FI-s. My CM is 7+10 and it is good enough for my way of playing this char.

7. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast IncGamers Member

Skill distribution looks ok although i would put less points in cold mastery, on a side not, you won't have the amount of skills available you have in mind, aim for a build being finished at lvl 85-90max giving you 96-101 skills to work with. Considering that start with about 5 points in cold mastery, you will still be high on skills points then but it's a start.

As for stats, personally i like to have a decent mana pool so shooting for 100 energy is no waste imo, opinions differ though (i think i'm one of the few ppl who regularly invest energy in his sorcs)

As for gear, what Sedna listed is pretty standart and will make life easy in hell, if you go untwinked, nm Meph is your friend.

ow and why would you only play on /players 1? it will take forerever to level up...

8. Drandimere

Drandimere IncGamers Member

I played sorcs for years - recently moved on too Druids... but I have a few suggestions.

1 - COLD MASTERY: You don't need to put 17 actual skill points in Cold Mastery. You should aim for 17 CM after +skills have been applied. So, I rarely put more than 5 or 6 actual points in this - maybe more at the end if I run out of things.

2 - GEAR: I love the full Tal's set + Stormshield + War Travellers + Chance Guards + SOJ (2 if you have them, I currently have 1 and run BK Wedding Band on the other) + Lots of Fire Skillers.

3 - OTHER GEAR: Before I collected the full Tal's Set, I used to run a Damage Reduction Sorc with incredible success. Of course, the DR sorc also assumed that you have a StormShield which is also high end. Another alternative would be to collect as much "Increase Chance of Blocking" equipment (like Twiththroe) so you can invest more in life and less in dexterity.

4 - Stats - Shoot for Max Block. Just enough Strength for EQ. Keep in mind that you will get nice +STR from War Travellers and Stormshield itself and +STR charms are not hard to find. I like to use other EQ with plus STR to equip the Stormshield (like items from the IK set), then take the plus STR off once the SS is equipped - of course - should you get yourself killed you won't be able to re-equip your shield by touching your corpse until you put the +STR stuff back on. You'll have a nice mana pool with your gear - I usually invest in ENE up to about 80 (no more than 100). Everything else I put into VIT.

5 - Get a good ActII merc - most people prefer a Holy Freeze Merc. Make sure he has good life leech. If you are MF running bosses the Kelpie Snare is nice to have... otherwise go for a more damaging weapon.

Lastly, the meteorb sorc is one of the least item dependent builds in the game. She relies on her skills - not her gear. You can run NM and Hell Mephy with her until you get the EQ that you want. With that said, Meteor really shines when you are loaded up with +skills (as far as killing speed goes). Always be on the lookout for Burning Grand Charms.

Good Luck!

9. maxgerin

maxgerin IncGamers Member

Don't go for base Dex if you are using a Shield.
    Try to maintain 70%+ chance to block.

Don't invest too much in Energy, you can actually go by without adding anything if you have the gears to support you.

Personally, I went with these EQ:
    Helm: Tal's (socketed with Ral) OR Harley (socketed with PTopaz)
    Armor: Tal's (socketed with Thul)
    Ammy: Tal's
    Weapon: Tal's OR Occy
    Shield: "Rhyme" Grim Shield
    Belt: Tal's
    Gloves: Magefist OR Chance Guard if MFing
    Boots: Sandstorm Trek OR War Trav's if MFing
    Ring1: SoJ OR Nagelring if MFing
    Ring2: SoJ OR Nagelring if MFing

OTHER good gears:
    Armor: Skin of Vipermagi
    Weapon: Rare/Magical with good + to main skills, preferably those with + to all Fire and/or Cold, or with + Mastery
    Gloves: Frostburn if you have Mana problems
    Boots: Silkweave

Anything really, just maintain good blocking if using a shield.
    Maintain good resist, especially lightning and fire.
    And good FCR and Mana source.
    They say MeteOrbs can go untwinked, so the gears are not really that critical, rares will go a long way for her. :)

You can use "Ladder Only" runewords, except for the new B.net additions. :thumbsup:

Good luck!

--maxgerin

10. Harleyquin

Taking Farting BOb's suggestion about cold mastery hard points, what do I spend the spare 4/5 hard skill points in? Energy shield? Frozen Armour? I expect to get a modest +5 to +6 to all skills with my self-found equipment.

11. farting bob

farting bob Banned

I would put the rest of the points either in static, if you use it alot (a reasonmable static level will mean you can static the whole screen at once, which is great for WSK runs), or frozen armor. ES wil probably not do that much good at such a low level with nothing in TK, but some add a couple of points into it as added protection. Depends on how much mana you can get withotu sacrificing Vit.

12. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

I vote Fire Bolt. Imho, it is not hard to keep this character alive so spending points defensively doesn't make much sense (for SC that is). Also, even if you rely on cold damage, you will want the extra synergy for your fire spells if you have no more than +6 skills total.

13. maxgerin

maxgerin IncGamers Member

Don't worry for now.
    At clvl 90, you'll have a total of 101 skill points for use, provided you do all +skill/s quest.

If you have some spare, go for Fire Bolt. It adds to Fireball damage. :thumbsup:

--maxgerin

14. Harleyquin

Regarding max block, I don't duel and with energy shield I shouldn't worry that much about damage (compared say to my poison/summon necro hybrid). Is it still important or a matter of taste?

I can't play players8 since I'm not that skilled and I never have good experiences with monsters with unholy amounts of hit points which don't go down!

15. farting bob

farting bob Banned

It doeasnt take much more skill, just time. If your getting swamped, Teleport back a screen or 2 and continue. After some practise, you'll be fine with P8 in hell, although if you want to speed things up, sure, drop it down a few settings. Its just that on P8, you level much faster, and so can get more skill points earlier.

16. Harleyquin

I'm proud of the fact that my level 85 necro made it to where he was without using any of the player settings, it took endless river of flame runs to get him from 84-85 though along with lots of time in Nightmare Act 5 when shooting for level 70.

Even for a sorceress, if the mercenary were to die at a higher player settings I'd think that would be a problem regardless of skills, wouldn't it?

17. Drandimere

Drandimere IncGamers Member

IMHO it all comes down to playing style. ES vs Block.

I don't use ES because to make it truly effective I have to waste too many points in ES and TK. Sure, these points are great for keeping me alive, but they take away from skills that can kill things fast. So, I opt for max block and totally ignore ES.

So, if you are playing with ES - then sure, max block doesn't mean allot. But if you are building a Meteorb - then you are not going to be using ES.

18. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Maxed block is a matter of taste, for example my sorc usually fire the spells from a safe area, she is rarely hit, so I didn't bother to max block, I have it around 50 or so, some people go VIT only.
    Don't put a single point in energy, Frozen Orb as your main spell will not drain your mana at all. If you not feel comfortable, equip some +mana gear (Serpent's charms)

EDIT: And I wouldn't use ES on level 1 without a Telekinesis and untwinked (not so high mana pool), it will drain your mana very quickly in Hell...

EDIT2: my preferences on SC sorc:
    1) MF
    2) skills
    3) resistances
    I remember I did a Hell MF runs with resistences around -30 - successfully, I died from time to time, but it's SC isn't it?

19. Harleyquin

Frozen orb at level 20 with +4 to all skills: 36 mana

That seems like a lot, I don't like relying on equipment to get mana since dying would screw you over while reclaiming the corpse. Hence the 75-100 energy stat plus warmth for some decent mana totals and regen rates

20. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

With some +mana gear and +skills, your mana regenaration will be enough on higher levels. Also items like Harlequin's crest, Frostburns and +mana charms helps a lot. And you can allways drink some mana potions.