Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

MeterOrb Question

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Rustydagger, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Rustydagger

Rustydagger IncGamers Member

MeterOrb Question

Hey,

Okay I have a lvl 80 MeterOrb and he does a great job however how do you do baal runs. The last pack of the minons is Fire Resistant, and my Orb does okay damage but it takes a long time to wear them down. I have full tals set and +6 to all skills currently so all my skill are at 26 execpt Cold mastery as its at 17.

Just wondering how you get past that.

Also in the Dex vs Vitality question i went all vitality and find it usefull for bosses and when I get hit with spells but when facing large packs of mobs on Hell diff i find it hard to manage the swarm as i still take a fair bit of damage when hit? Any way around this.

2. kuafu

kuafu IncGamers Member

If you play untwinked, you should wait until you find better items for your char and the merc. Otherwise, get some more +skill items for your char, and equip your merc well, both will speed up things a lot. In particular, a torch will do great, and a Spirit shield too since you're not maxing blocking.
    As for max vitality, having a lot life doesn't mean you should tank by yourself. Your should let your merc tank, and you fire spells from a far. Max vitality just means you can take a few hits when you're not paying attention and still survive well. Getting up and close is for melee sorcs, not for meteorb.

3. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Certainly my tactic with Lister is softly, softly. Hang back, drag one or two out at a time, static and FO like crazy. Make sure that merc has life leech.

4. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

yep, lister is a bit a pain for meteorbs. Good merc + static + patience = gg. Not much else you can do.

5. kuafu

kuafu IncGamers Member

If you really don't like to fight Lister, you can lead his pack out of the throne room, then teleport back in. As long as the pack is out of Baal's sight, Baal will laugh and go into the portal, so you can skip Lister that way.

6. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

That's another reason why I prefer a Blizzball for Baal runs.

Once you max FO and get CM to slvl 17, there isn't a lot more that you can do.

Make sure you are positioned properly so that your FO explodes inside your target, for maximum damage output.

7. MageChick

yeah, but then you get "stuck" on some of the cold immunes. I don't see many blizzballers running D keys. I will give you solo baal runs as a benifit for blizzballers though. The cold immunes aren't to hard to deal with. Both can do it - just takes some longer than others. In either case a good merc will really help.

Recently I've experimented with having my merc hold infinitly. It really doesn't do much for you in terms of breaking fire/cold immunes, but you will see yourself doing a lot more damage. This helps both your fire and cold attacks. It's like going from a CM slvl 17 to 34. Your fireballs do about 2x damage as well. I did have some problems initially as my merc was suddenly lacking FHR and his resists were no longer maxed (I previously used an Eth sup GPA Obediance :thumbsup:). You'll probably need to rebalance your mercs gear if you go this route. I've now given the infinity to my new light sorc. My meteorb misses the damage, but my merc is happier tanking Lister and friends again.

8. kuafu

kuafu IncGamers Member

Yeah, I used to use Obediance+Shaftstop+VampireGaze on my merc. After I switched to Infinity, I changed the rest to eth Fort + Andy to rebalance him. Basically I switched from max resist/dr to high dmg/def/LL. Both seem working fine, but my meteorb benefits more from Infinity, so I'm sticking with that now.

9. FrostBurn

Blizzballs getting 'stuck' on CIs? I wonder which ones you've been seeing. :grin:

Mine doesn't have a problem with any CIs, even in an 8 player game. And I don't use RWM, so no Infinity for me (I'm also lacking a spare Ber rune). I forget which lesser boss drops which keys, but my Blizzball deals with the Summoner and Nihlathak equally well, and her merc impales The Countess.

In contrast, and in my experience, my Meteorb's FO takes a little bit longer when dealing with FIs (e.g. Chaos Sanctuary Venom Lords and Lister and Co.) when they spawn with 4.5x their regular hitpoints. No Infinity at the time (slvl 17 CM doesn't bring monsters down to -100% CR when they have some innate CR), so it was slower in 8 players games.

Can the master of the Meteorb tell me what I'm doing wrong? :tongue:

10. MageChick

I'll take that as a compliment - TY.

your not useing RWM. You're probably lacking an anni and a torch too :shocked: :lipsrsealed: OK, sorry, had to go there. *voice whispers out "Come to the dark side Frostburn, come to the dark side."* :wink3:

Seriously, I do think meteorbs secondary attack is weaker than the blizzballers secondary attack. If you keep you blizzballer close to 50/50 fire and cold, you probably won't have many problems with anyone, but then you lack a single strong attack. All the blizzballers I've played with lately were a lot more Cold than Fire say 70/30 and they lacked fireball power. But they did make good baal runners and a nice compliment to my meteorb. I suppose this is why I wasn't a fan of blizzballers until I ran the numbers myself. It's a balancing issue, and I'm probably still a little biased due to my first experiances with sub-par builds. My current meterobs are pretty much a fireball sorc with a back up attack (75/25 fire/cold).

To handle Lister and Co you need a pretty good merc. I'm a big fan of the current runeword here too, but a good eth tomb reaver or reapers toll can do the job I'm sure. I know that you know how to set up a godly merc. There's not much else you can do. I used to push my CM past slvl 17 (maybe into the mid 20's) to help - but now I really don't need it. I keep it right at slvl 17 with full MF gear, but I suppose I do still get to slvl 19 when I swap out Nagels for SOJ's.

In SP I suppose there's no real purpose to run Nihlatek (or however you spell his name). On b.net he's one of the most profitable bosses to run (he drops the all valuable D key). He'll drop the key 1 in 12 tries (on average), no MF required. Key running is arguably the most consistantly profitable run you can make. Nihlatek and all of his minions are always cold imune. I'm sure a good blizzballer can run him, but you'll never do it as quickly as a meteorb.

But then again neither does it as fast as an Infinity/light sorc or hammerdin. I suppose its all just a matter of what you want to focus on.

11. FrostBurn

Yeah, that's the way to go. There are a few more FIs relative to CIs, so it makes sense to weigh heavier on the cold tree and use the weaker fire tree for CIs. If someone really wanted a fire sorc, then the Meteorb is the way to go. A fire based Blizzball doesn't work too well, since Blizzard needs at least one synergy maxed to be adequately effective.

I sure do. I'm doing Cow runs right now to look for a 6 os War Scythe to make BotD in. :grin: It will pwn Bishibosh!

Well, it's good to know that I wasn't seriously missing out on something blatantly obvious with my Meteorb. A HF merc with The Reaper's Toll worked well for my Meteorb against Lister and Co, as long as I'm careful to pot him when playing in 8 player games.

Why is the D Key more profitable compared to the H and T Keys? Surely you need one of each to get to each mini-Uber?

Agreed. The raw damage of a Meteorb's Fireball and Meteor is second only to a pure Fire sorc.

12. MageChick

You can trade 1 D key for 2-3 T's or H's. It's concidered to be the toughest key to get. Probably due to the constant corps explosion. There are very few people that venture down there for some reason. A nature's peace ring will make quick work of it though (can't do CE) and there's only 3 patterns of the map for level 3 and 4 patterns for level 4. You can memorize them real quick. I still haven't figured out a good pattern for Countess runs or the summoner.

So with a stong firball and a nature's peace ring D keys become the fastest key to run. Then you just have to watch out for the charging snake guys - they can hurt. There's also a good chance to have the room full of skeleton archers and succubi's. So you need to have good resists and defence. But of course if you can snipte everything is dead before you get there, its not so bad.

I suppose its just that the countess and Summoner can be run buy everyone with even lousy gear. You need to be decently decked out to run D's safely.

13. Noite Escura

Noite Escura IncGamers Member

You mean only 30 points in the Fire Tree? Or is it just comparision number? Because Fireball would take a hard blow with only ~10 points in Fire Bolt, unless you have top gear(I mean 15+ skills).

14. MageChick

I hope they had more than 30 points in fire, but they probably didn't have much more than that, maybe 41 hard points tops. I think they were the 20 firebolt, 20 fireball, 1 FM types. I suppose this can work if you have lots of + skills - both your FM and CM will need help. Yes they had pretty weak fire skills - maybe they did skimp on the synergy, I'm not sure really.

I just meant it as a rough % though. But I suppose I should have written it as 60/40 to more accurate.