Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Meteorbster and Cold armors

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Mikk0, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Mikk0

Mikk0 IncGamers Member

Meteorbster and Cold armors

I was wondering.. Im gonna make a meteorbster.

But... in the meteorb guid there is no cold armors included, why? :scratch:

Option for a tanking Talress is mentioned with storm and max block and def merc.. but wouldent 2 points invested (frosen armor -->> shiver armor) be worth it?

I see the build is done at lvl 90 so it is not verry big deal.. 92 is quit easy too.. so, insted of placeing those 2 points into sync's would it be smart to get lil more better tanking ability?

I need your opinoins.. :howdy:

2. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

I would not invest 2 points to get Shiver Armor. 1 point Frozen Armor would be way enough for a 1 point wonder.
    From my experience with my lvl91 Meteorb i didnt need the extra Def that would be provided by Frozen Armor.

If you have 1 point free once you have it all maxed you could invest that for sure. I will do so when i reach lvl92, since with +13 skills it pratically doubles my defence and investing in Firebolt or CM does not make too much a difference in my killing speed at that lvl.

In your case i would try to get a weapon on switch that has +1 or +3 Shiver Armor or Frozen armor and just precast it once it runes out. It lasts quite long when you have +skills ready :)
    A staff with +2 cold skills and +3 Shiver or Frozen armor would be nice.

Btw. I thought about investing 1 point now since my witch grea cant really provide the +1 Shiver armor and i am too lazy to precast it with gear from stash when i enter a new game :p

3. Mikk0

Mikk0 IncGamers Member

Hmm.. thats kinda handy idea.

i just wish that i could buy orbs somewhere.. it would be nice to have +1 shield and cold orb in the switch.

maybe i just have to start id all the orbs that come my way! :scared:

i think i will have somewhere eq around this:

tal set (pt/res/life socs, undecided)
    magefists
    strom (hel)
    waterwalks or something (this is kinda open too)
    raven and some ring.. (dont have sojs)

charms with res, life, fhr etc.. the usual stuff :clap:

ty for the switch staff idea, i dont afford to buy anything godly to the switch so this will do just verry fine :innocent:

if you have some ideas for the eq part i would be more than happy to hear them!

4. Bob Dole

Bob Dole IncGamers Member

i made a meteorb sorc myself only lvl 83.

eq was

wizard spike-extremely fast cast rate and loads of resists (with +15 all resi jewel)
    shako- + skills life/mana, great helm(socketed with um)
    rising sun-+ fire skills, fire absorb lets u tank diablo ^ ^
    magefist- + fire skills, faster cast rate
    whitstans guard- awesome shield for max block low reqs, stick an um in it for resists
    wartravs- bit of mf and other stuff
    raven frost- cannot be frozen
    perfect verdungo- + life, pdr and some other stuff

this sorc had frozen armor, max block and max resists , she was able to tank all 3 hell ancients for 30 seconds without dying and she was awesome, gotta make another sorc like that

5. melianor

Setup sounds good ;)
    Maybe some rare/magic FCR ring in addtition to Raven Frost

6. Mikk0

Mikk0 IncGamers Member

well.. we are talking aboyt tal's set here..

i wonder, is this a 'must to do' thing? cause every time someone says 'im gonna use' or 'im too poor' etc someone comes and gives you 'the pest setup' even if you dont want it..

sorry, you have wrong thread for this post :drink:

7. Mikk0

Mikk0 IncGamers Member

hmm.. 2x castrate rings would enable slot for frosties..

im planing on to go with base life.. so after str/dex (eq/block) i will pump up the energy..

and if i ever find those sojs 2 x soj = mages, 2 x rare ring (with cast) = frosties ... so that would basicly be same idea. exept for the + skills tho..

well.. i have to think about that. ty agein :uhhuh:

8. melianor

*rubs his eyes* DID i read BASE life there???? *rubs eyes again*
    Dear Mikk0, if you go base life you will most surely die VERY often, no matter what items you aquire.
    Have you read the Meteorb build?
    You actually go with BASE ENERGY and with Tal's set that is just fine.
    The proposed build ,and unless you use Energy Shield in your build, is always to go with base energy and enough str and dex for equipment and max-block.
    ALL OTHER points go into VITALITY!!!

If you really should intend to go base vitality then you will need alot of life charms, alot of items with immense amoutn of life on it so that you will get close to 800-1000 life! If you dont get that you will surely die alot!!
    You have been warned ;)

*shakes head* BASE life *shivers*
    With an Energy shield build this can work, but that means maxing Telekinesis and Energy shield, so you cannot make a Meteorb build with that.

On Frostburns. You will not need those... Leave those Magefist on your hands! :)

9. Mikk0

Mikk0 IncGamers Member

well.. i could always try :clap:

and i don't have any skillers to go with so kinda all i can get is mana/life/res/fhr from charms.. and quess what charms i have most..

so no enrgy and all vita..

so i dont need frosties.. and i have the max cast (63) for me alredy.. then i think it is raven frost and dwarf star or combination of previous and rare rings.

it is so hard to get the full picture from the build @ work when you don't have all those godly links and dl'ed inf0 avaivable ... for example, i just can't get that block formula in my head :rant:

10. melianor

All you need for the Meteorb build, you can find in the link of the thread "Guides thread" at the top of the forum. There is a link to the Meteorb build and you will also find blocking tables there ;)
    Also skill distribution etc. :thumbsup:
    Have fun with Meteorb :D

11. Mikk0

Mikk0 IncGamers Member

hmm..

i readed the guid agein and noticed one thing.. CRAP, i dont have the doom runeword so i need to take the hf merc..

secondly i calculated the block thingy (finaly found it without asking)..

i tought it is best to count as far as lvl 95 when it comes to blocking.. i think that is as far as i will ever reach.

so it is 213 dex needed and somewhere 12x str (hel storm). but i think i have to calculate the dex cause it is pointles to get more dex than it is needed. str i will always go as mutch as needed to war eq (don like poping).

so hear is a tough.. marrowalks or waterwalks.. both have good stats but i still think that marrows mana regen cant make up for the life from the water walks. any toughts on here?

damn i hate my self for planing all this and haven't even started on the char :spy:

12. Mikk0

Mikk0 IncGamers Member

only problem is that the guide only mentions talress as 'good mf' .. i dont say there is anything wrong in taht but therefor i need to ask these newbish Q's :innocent:

13. Mikk0

Mikk0 IncGamers Member

god these forums are usefull :drink:

merc gear decided:

Reapers toll
    Sahft
    Gaze

and he is holy******freez :cheesy:

i think i can make this work, one way or another

thank you for the info :winner:

14. melianor

There's been a few threads on Tal's set and the main think you can take out of those is the fact that the -xx% enemy fire/lightning resistance on the Tal's orb is VERY useful since your damage gets upped more that way than with adding more +skills.

If you dont have a Paladind or Necro in yur party or are lvling alone a setup with Tal's full set will easily beat a setup that has +3 more +skills than the Tals in terms of actual damage (resists form monster strip your damage quite down a bit.. ).

It is good for MF aswell certainly ;)

15. Tanatus

Tanatus IncGamers Member

Well talks set give you ~+5skills total and giving you whimpy -15% resist for price reducting your skills by visible mark which reduce your damage output a lot.
    Hand - tals orb no +skill - place fathom, occy, eschuta and you get +3
    Armor - place COH or Enigma and you'll get +2
    Belt - place arachnids and you'll get +1
    Helm - place shako instead of mask and you'll get +2
    So by using Tal's set you effectively reducing your skills by mark 5 ... toss fact that you losing 5 points as well in all sinergies....
    I'd not say +5 skills in firetree sinergies would double your damage per impact but it will danm pretty close to it. Also not foget you are saving 5 extra points by not putting em in CM skill (you need get at least 17 with items to get maximum damage on non cold resistant monsters)

16. Mikk0

Mikk0 IncGamers Member

umm.. are you ******** or ...?

we are not talking about max skills/dmg/etc ***** here..

sorry about the rudeness but -- you asked for it. everyone know about what is the best setup..

17. melianor

Just for everybody and Tanatus to see i will do a calculated damage comparion chart for tal's set with -15% fire res and for a setup with +13 skills (getting enigma is hard so ill leave it at adding a +1 armor) and +10 with Tal's and same extra items added as with the +13 setup.
    Just needs some time to type out the tables and then maybe you Tantus will change your mind. -15% fireres is far from wimpy :thumbsup: even compared to

18. melianor

Here some calculations on -xx% resist items, chosen stup full tal's set compared to similiar setup where Tal's is replaced by +skills gear:
    I just take Tal's here since the discussion was going on about this set now. Anything that adds -xx% res to the given element will do. The more the better.
    Ofcourse the +13 skills setup would do better if you would add -xx% res here aswell ;). But without and monster res added it will decrease... Just see the calculations below.
    Conclusion -xx% setup with Tal's is EQUAL to +13 skills setup in terms of damage BUT, Tal's offers alot other good feature in the full set version...

Tal's Set: +6 skills, occupies 5 slots
    Replacement: +2 Shako, +2 Mara's/Tals' Amu, +3 Occy, +1 Arachnid Mesh
    +1 Vipermagi
    Added gear to both setups: +1 Lidless/ +1 Visceratuant, +1xSoj, +1 Anni

Tal' Set total: +10 skills
    +skills setup: +13 skills

I will do calculations based on 20 FB, 20 Meteor, 20 FM and show the damage of Fireball with both setup, taking into account monster resistances of 0%, 33% (very common!) and 50%. The majority of monsters in hell have some form of Fire resistance...

Damage formula: base damage * (1+synergy%) * (1+mastery%) * (1-(monsterres%-itemres%)) = full damage
    In the examples the damage of added synergies and masteries is alreay calculated and only the resitance factor applied.

Monster Res 0%:
    Tal's Set +10 skill with -15% fire res:
    4782.3-5267.7 * (1-(0-0.15)) = 5499.6-6057.8
    +skills setup +13 skills:
    5878.9-6436.8 * (1-(0-0)) = 5878.9-6436.8
    With 0% monster fire resistance teh +13 setup is still in the lead...

Monster Res 33%: (alot of monster in hell have like 25%/33% fireres)
    4782.3-5267.7 * (1-(0.33-0.15)) = 3969.3-4372.1
    5878.9-6436.8 * (1-(0.33-0)) = 3938.863-4312.6

Whoops, suddenly both setups do almost equal damage, and that while the first has +3 skills less!

Monster Res 50%: (there's a bunch of nasties with 50% fireres and they are not few, just check monster section on arreat summit)
    4782.3-5267.7 * (1-(0.50-0.15)) = 3108.5-3424
    5878.9-6436.8 * (1-(0.50-0)) = 2939.45-3217.4

Here the -xx% res setup gains a slight lead.
    So damage of both setups will be equal through the majority of monsters encountered in hell.
    If you just add a +5/-5 firefacet to this setup the odds will tip towards the -xx%res setup even more.
    So what do we learn from this?
    adding -xx% to ANY kind of build is a benefit and +3 skills added is almost equal to adding just -15% resistances.

That is also the reason why Cold Mastery is about the best skill in the Coldtree you can get :)

19. sorcyone

sorcyone Banned

General PVM Tal set owns, 'nuff said.
    If you do pure MF runs, then Shako + occ will give you slightly more MF, but you will do less damage. And against high fire resist monsters it's not easy.

I think Hel in a storm is a bit of a waste. I find heaps of -15% req jewels - both magic and rares - with extra mods.

IMPORTANT: get Frozen armour on switch. I use a +3 frozen armour staff. The freezing effect is awesome, it halves the damage you take when swamped, and gives you a chance to escape. The extra defense is nice too.
    It really saves your bacon against extra fast fire immunes. I notice when it runs out the game gets a lot harder.

My meteorb setup :
    Tal set
    Infernostride (I like the 10% max fire res and +30% fire res) will switch to Waterwalk if I find a good one.
    Viscerant heater - block 74%
    Magefist
    Dwarf star
    Raven

Level 82
    Resists in Hell 85/75/75/73
    Life about 1400.
    Energy base. Mana about 600. Definitely no Energy Shield. Been there done that in 1.10, never again.
    8 MF charms.
    12/10/5 anni.

20. Mikk0

Mikk0 IncGamers Member

verry nice.. only 3 things will make my sorc differend.. i'll use strom, water walks and don't have anni..

for the jewel.. i will look out for one, if i don't find one i'll just stick with the hel rune. i can always remove it if needed :clap:

and for melianor:

ty for that long post :drink: