Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

meteorb - theory vs practice

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Smorter, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Smorter

Smorter IncGamers Member

meteorb - theory vs practice

meteorb seems to be the most popular sorc sub class in my opinion.

Having tried using meteorb, I query its ease of use. The time it takes for a meteor to come down makes it a pain in the *** to play properly. I feel the same way about the weird spiral of a hammerdin.

How can such a awkward build (along with a weak (in hell) skill like Frozen orb enable a meteorb to become such a popular and supposidly viable build?

Is it just me cause I'm a noob, or do other people find it weird using meteorbs and hammerdins and such (i.e. non conventional slashers/casters)?

2. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Maxed out orb with cold mastery isnt THAT weak. It takes some skill to aim properly with meteor, but keep in mind monsters walk right you.
    Slow them with orb, then "calculate" where to put the meteor. It has a blast radius of 4 yards, which is pretty big, so...

Meteorbs are among the more powerful builds, since they can take on both fire and cold immunes by using two elements. I guess you have to practice a little more on throwing meteors, and it will be a breeze.
    As for the hammerdins, hammers rip through anything, so if they were an easy-aim skill, that would make the game too easy. (it already is for hammerdins...)

But then, imagine a skill dishing out 20k+ pretty easy. If it didnt have a casting delay, and a time delay until impact, it would be "too good".
    A good weapon is often harder to use... :azn:

3. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

I prefer a Blizzball myself, but a Meteorb is also very powerful and a lot more popular. FO is adequate, so long as you stay out of 8 player games.

As for tactics, if you achieve the 63% FCR breakpoint, you can cast 2 FBalls for every 1 Meteor, for a continuous stream of fire damage. In such an instance, you'll have so many Mets crashing down that the whole screen will be covered by fire, so even if a few Mets miss (consider the 4 yard blast radius as well), the majority will hit something, and the pyres that Meteor leaves behind also stack.

4. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

As frostburn mentioned, a combo of fireballs and meteors is good. Another advantage of that is that fireballs 'stop' enemies from moving towards you, by putting them into hit recovery most of the time. A non-moving target is easier to hit, and with the meteors 4 yards radius, you simply cant miss. :azn:

5. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

Fireball also does tremendous damage fyi. In fact i prefer to spam my 5k fb instead of waiting for my 11k meteor to drop. :tongue:

6. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

I prefer hydraorb, but that's just because I wuv me some hydwas.

7. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

A meteorb sorc actually uses fireball most of the time if there are no meat shields in the party and fireball and meteor synergize each other. If all monsters are fixed in place, e.g. during the moat trick in Durance 3 or with the merc keeping Eldritch and his minions at bay, meteor is still the better killer. Some monsters are so vulnerable to fire that it's not worth waiting for the meteors, e.g. Andariel (you don't even need a merc to kill her) or Pindleskin (you do need a merc).

8. Are

Are IncGamers Member

I actually prefer using the FrozenOrb to kill everything that isn't Cold-Immune, even in Hell :)

9. rata

rata IncGamers Member

u can tell by the posts that it varies on who u ask how the meteor-orb is used. if ur new to this char you'll develop a playing style that's effective depending what ur running. for example..when i do meph runs, i'm not into the moat trick..i like killing all the council and meph by using meteor alot by meteoring them and teleing away. if i'm running countess u can't use meteor and are forced to use either fireball or orb. if u need a fast response and are in a corridor..then fireball is the way to go..if ur in a small room then use orb. but in the end you'll have to decide if u need to be in the line of fire (orb and fireball) or if there's too many baddies out there and u need to retreat and meteor them.

10. fahartle

fahartle IncGamers Member

Or, of course, you can try out a straight lightning sorc. I like my meteorb sorc, myself, but I find I never play her anymore now that I have my lightning sorc up and running. It's true that there are times you'll really struggle in Hell with only one damage skill tree. But the worst of those struggles are going to be when you're making your way through Hell the first time (I'd suggest just grabbing some help in public games or here in the forums - or clear the way to wherever you're going with another character).
    Once you make it all the way through Hell and level up on Baal runs to 85, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how fast you'll rip through the major magic finding areas. Your teleport, static, and principal damage skills (chain lightning for mobs and lightning bolt for bosses) will just slay anything in your way. Plus, if you can save up for an infinity polearm, you're lightning immune trouble days will essentially be over...

11. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

In Ladder Season 2, my main char was a Meteorb. To play it properly, forget about Meteor, and use Fireball instead. I was spamming 10k fire damage Fireball at 105% FCR... Simply devastating, thanks to the splash damage (and I'm not even talking about Infinity lowering the monsters resistance). Since Frozen Orb has a delay, cast Frozen Orb, then spam 3 Fireballs, rinse and repeat. Watch dead bodies scattered all around :wink:.