Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Meteorb Sorc + Stat points + Max Block questions

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by somedude, May 30, 2008.

1. somedude

somedude IncGamers Member

Meteorb Sorc + Stat points + Max Block questions

So I've started a meteorb sorc now, untwinked, currently level 30 @ act 4 normal. Stat points without any items are: Str 75, Dex 38, Vita 8x, Energy 35. I'm not planning to invest any points in Energy. I'm using the defensive merc from act 2 (will be replaced with a holy freeze one in nightmare), he's the same level as me and does fairly well, gambled a good rare pike for him. I can rely on him tanking.

Problem is that I don't really know how much higher I should raise Str and Dex. I don't have any good items so I gotta rely on what I find. I don't know how much more I should put into Str and Dex. Most guides always say something like this "when you use $super_uber_shield, you need Str X and Dex Y for 75% chance to block".
    But how many points should you invest when you don't know what shield you're going to find/use?

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  2. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Re: Meteorb Sorc + Stat points + Max Block questions

The real question for you is: Do you use RWM? Then you will probably want to use Spirit shield runeword at the end. You need a lot of STR (the lowest STR required for 4 socketed shield is 156) then and it's really bad for blocking so no points in DEX.

If you don't use RWM or don't want to use Spirit, than it's probably safe to save some stats left and decide later. It's also comes to your playstyle - do you often hide behind your merc and advance carefully? - You probably don't need block (No DEX at all). Do you teleport everywhere madly? Then block is good ot have...

3. somedude

Yeah, I'm using RWM.
    As for playstyle, well... usually I'm careful and let the merc tank a lot, but sometimes I just want to run/teleport through. Especially act 3... I hate that act, so I always want to finish it fast.

4. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

In that case I think that Spirit is hard to pass especially if you are poor or going untwinked. That means no DEX and STR to equip Monarch.

5. somedude

So.. to get that right: I should use a Monarch shield (req. Str 156) and put the runeword Spirit into it. Sounds OK. But how much Dex would I need to get Max Block with it?
    I'd rather have max block just to be safer. Maybe I'll use this char later on for MF runs, who knows.

6. muzzz

muzzz IncGamers Member

Way too much. Their base block sucks, and you've already invested ~100-150 stat points in strength. If you go max block you'll be hurting for life later in the game.

7. Jingizu

Jingizu Banned

You misunderstood, what Hrus have said... With Spirit, go for enough STR and no DEX.

But you could always try to find yourself Shields like Moser's, Visceratuant, Whistans, or make Rhyme runeword, in these cases, you will need less STR and *not so much* DEX to get max block...

8. Broncobiv2

Broncobiv2 IncGamers Member

My meteorb sorc uses a Moser's Blessed Circle. Pretty easy to find, decent blocking, +25 resist all, and 2 open sockets. Drop 2 P diamonds in there and you get +63 resist all for just your shield. I went for max block since there was no way I was dumping enough points into strength for Spirit.

Whistan's Guard has a ridiculous amount of blocking, but it offers no resists, so that's why I went with Moser's.

Jeez, I just looked over this guide which I used to build my sorc. I never even looked up the stats on Sanctuary runeword. Looks pretty sweet! Potential for more resists than Moser's, and if made in a tower shield, the blocking will be 7% higher, too (so less dex required for max block):

Sanctuary
    Ko + Ko + Mal

+20% Faster Hit Recovery
    +20% Faster Block Rate
    20% Increased Chance of Blocking

+130-160% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    +250 Defense vs. Missile
    +20 To Dexterity <---- Will help to reach max block
    All Resistances +50-70 (varies)

Magic Damage Reduced By 7
    Level 12 Slow Missiles (60 Charges)

Dang! I wish I'd made this instead! Too late now though...too many points invested in dex.

9. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Upgrade Mosers to Luna, your blocking will go up a little bit.
    But both shields do nothing offensively for sorc...