Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Meteorb sorc, questions about ES and else

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Artagas, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

Meteorb sorc, questions about ES and else

Hey,

I am playing a Meteorb sorc these days. I play her in solo (using a few mules, but no cheats) so she has no access to uber-gear, above all, please take that into consideration when answering the questions below. She is clev 62, without eq bonuses she has: str 90 (a bit much maybe, but it is nice for a char who will probably not have the exact gear I would want) dex 25 (i dont use shields, so i dont raise it) vit 200 energy 75 (and some spare points).
    FO-Meteor 20 FB 10 FM-CM 2 Static 1 Tele 1 + prereqs
    Now what i need advice on:
    1) Do I want ES? It is indeed a great skill, but it is 4 extra points
    (for skill level 1) which i would miss badly, also there is no way i would have any points left to build the synergy for it, not to mention the fact that i am unlikely to be able to support it with an energy of 75, so i would have less points to raise vitality...which leads us to the next question:
    2) remaining stat points? if I take ES I surely need more Energy...150 or so, right? or if i don't, than i could just go for a godly vitality (and maybe 10 more strength)...unless...unless i change my mind about shields. pumping all the points left into dex could still grant me a decent block rate with some eq. but do i want that? this guide: http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=254070 advices me to use a shield but most of the people i asked told me the opposite. so what do you say?
    3) Mercanaries...unlike my melee chars, i can't say i am awfully happy with my holy freezer. his damage output is not really noticable, and the freezing effect is unimportant either except for cold immunes, since FO does the same to the rest of them. but than...hell is full of nasty nasty cold immunes. the other option i am considering is a hell act2 defensive mercenary for survival purposes. (oh, and please dont tell me to give him a 'Doom' runeword or something on that idea so he gets holy freeze as well...solo characters don't often have a spare cham for their merc:) but i also tought about hiring a NM actV barbarian. (hard to keep that guy alive though, so i will probably pass)
    All sane suggestions are welcome.

2. anaksunamun

anaksunamun Banned

1 - believe me, you don't want ES - until the bug is corrected no one should use it.
    2 - DRop all of them in vitality
    3 - Keep the holy freeze mercenary, its your better option since you can't afford a doom

3. anaksunamun

anaksunamun Banned

also, give your merc a reaper's toll.
    Holy Freeze + cold damage + decrepify = nothing moving
    nothing moving = you and your merc won't die and meteors will hit easier

4. arbing

arbing IncGamers Member

ES is a GREAT skill only if you invest in it's syn, and having a decent level of the skill.... if you are going to use energy shield, i suggest you invest ALL you stats points to energy (with max block if you want to pvp melee char.) you need a high level of mana for the energy shield build to be effective. if you do not want to invest so much in energy shield, don't waste any points with low mana and low skill level of energy shield / telekinesis.... it just doesnt work.

plus....i suggest maxing block if you are going for all types of pvp (melee).... just a bit of extra vita would not help, maxing block (75%) can be seen as 75% of physical damage reduced.

5. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

thanks for your responses. as far as the ES issue it sounds to me you are right, i will leave that skill alone.
    otoh, you gave me two different advices on the dex/vit issue. shields might be indeed handy but i have the following issues:
    1) first off with this char i don't pvp (well, maybe i will join some open games for fun later on, but this is mainly a solo char. i created it because i want a solo hell winner who finds her own gear)
    2) secondly, if i get hit in melee i usually teleport away. i am afraid of blocking making it more difficult, since it takes time. i have no experience with that though (this is my first sorc ever...and the rest of 'em don't teleport) so correct me if i am wrong
    3) i might have taught of it a bit too late. solo chars wont go much over lv80-85 which means i can bump some 100-125 points into dex...might not even be enough.

6. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

1. Energy shield is a cool skill, but only if you use synergies as arbing said. I'm not sure about the bug that anaksunamun mentions...Mana burn monsters drain insane amounts of mana and that is potentially very annoying/deadly, otherwise I don't know of any bugs connected to Mana Shield...for some builds it's awesome, for yours there's simply not enough points to make it efficient.

2. Definitely vitality...although you should really consider getting a good shield with decent block and then aim for max block. Especially when you don't have acces to all the godly items, staying alive can be an issue, and max block will help you there.

3. I'd say definitely Holy Freeze...wonderful for cold immunes as well as non-cold immunes. The freeze effect from Frozen Orb and Holy Freeze stacks, making for ultra slow monsters:) Also when you get to Hell monsters are generally a bit faster, and then you'll really begin to appreciate the slowing effect. The damage isn't comparable to a Might mercenary but you won't really benefit from him. Holy Freeze is your best bet...when you can't afford Doom.

7. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

I believe he is referring to the ES vs elemental damage bug. the mana burn happens -before- resistances are taken into account, which on the higher levels mean that it will almost certainly burn your entire mana pool. I have heard of that bug before, but not sure whether it is rumor or the truth (wouldn't be hard to test though)

Haha, "definitely vitality" or "aim for max block" now than?:) you sound quite confident about both, but they are two different paths.

8. anaksunamun

anaksunamun Banned

It is the resistance bug.
    I don't like blocking for a sorceress. You need some FBR to be effective. That's why I always go all vit, but that's your choice. It just doesn't work for mr