Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Meteorb sorc or Fire ball/Frozen orb sorc?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by shadowalk, May 31, 2005.

1. shadowalk

shadowalk IncGamers Member

Meteorb sorc or Fire ball/Frozen orb sorc?

This is really my first experience with a sorc so I'm kind of noobish here...and I play only single player. Anyway, I was originally going for a meteorb sorc but when I finally reached lvl 24 and obtained meteor...I find it kind of uneffective...and the fire ball which I have been using as my right click attack ever since I got it was much more effective. Now I'm thinking of altering my plan and instead making a fire ball/frozen orb sorc.

So can anyone help me? Is a fireball/frozen orb sorc a good build? Is it better than a meteorb sorc? Will I be able to survive nightmare and hell with it easily?

2. Ana

Ana IncGamers Member

Shadowalk, I started my first sorc 2 nights ago and used Sasja's guide which is in the sorc forum. I must say that the combination blizzard/meteor is very effective. First hit them with blizzard and finish of with meteor. Works for me.

Read the guides (if you haven't all ready) and love to hear how it goes.

Ana

3. shadowalk

shadowalk IncGamers Member

I'm using the 1.10 meteorb guide found in gamefaqs...the author of that meteorb guide seems to have high regard for meteor and fireball...in a sense that they both complement each other. I think he's even implying you can choose between fireball and meteor as to which one to max to complement a maxed frozen orb although I maybe wrong...

It's just that if I max fireball instead of meteor...I might not do enough damage in nightmare and hell. Ok so meteor is one hell of a damage-dealer...but it's not spammable as fireball which although it only does moderate damage even in higher levels, you can spam it all you like and it's a very very useful spell in my experience although I haven't looked much into meteor (or blizzard) for that matter so I can't make a judgement yet.

4. Llathias

Llathias Banned

since Fireball and Meteor are mutual synergies, the build doesn't change much anyway. you'll exclusively use Frozen Orb throughout NM, and by the time you reach Hell, both Fireball and Meteor will be maxed. the strategy is; shoot a Frozen Orb, let your merc engage/tank the bad guy, cast a Meteor, spam Fireball, then another Meteor... many Meteorb'ers use Fire Ball more than Meteor anyways, since its damage reaches insane levels later on in the game.

Edit: Fireball can deal around 4k-5k dmg, so it's not weak at all. check this page to see the base dmg of both and the synergy effects. there should also be a dmg calculator in one of the Meteorb guides (probably Sasja's), so you might want to check it as well.
    Blizzard, although a mighty spell, does not deal as much damage without the synergies, so as a Meteorb (or Orb/Fireball) sorc, you need only 1 point in it as a prerequisite for Frozen Orb.

5. Puffen

Puffen Banned

Blizzard/firewall is the way to go!

6. supermatt

supermatt IncGamers Member

my Sorc is MeteOrb, but she has Fire Ball maxed too so you're still on the right track and Meteor is sooo powerful later. this is what she looks like:

Meteor 20
    Fire Ball 20
    FM 20
    Static Field 1
    Tele1
    FO 20
    CM rest

i used Lord Vega's guide, but that is 18 months ago now and i wouldn't know where to find it

:) matt

7. Krikke

Krikke IncGamers Member

Isn't meteorb and fireball/orb rougly the same build ?

8. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

I find meteor a lot better than fireball for several reasons.

- No need for faster cast rate

- More damage per mana, which is nice if you don't have 2 SoJs.

- With meteor I can evade monsters while waiting for the meteor to drop while a FBsorc needs to stay rooted in place to realise her full damage potential.

Granted, if you don't know how to aim your meteor it'll probably suck but that's really not too hard to learn.

9. maxgerin

maxgerin IncGamers Member

From my experience, I tend to use Fireball only for my MeteOrb. I run out of patience with Meteor... :p

According to sasja's guide:

LIGHTNING: 1 to Static Field, Telekinesis, Teleport
    COLD: 1 to all Pre-reqs, Max FO, and arround 8-10 (or more, depending on equipment) in CM.
    FIRE: 1 to all Pre-reqs, Max Meteor, Max Fireball (no problem here, they synergizes each other)
    Now you have to make a decision:
    Are you going to use Meteor or Fireball more often (you'll feel this as you go along)?

If you choose Fireball: Max first Fire Bolt since that gives a greater bonus to Fireball than FM. However, be sure to put at least 1 point in FM, your equipment will do the rest. Then, if you're done maxing Fire Bolt (I think you're level 90 or more before you reach this point, provided you do all +skill quests) you can proceed to maxing FM.

If you choose Meteor: Max FM first, then Fire Bolt.

--maxgerin

10. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

That is a common misbelief but not always the case. Though the synergy for FB looks large at a first glance compared to FM's increment/level, sometimes it is still better to raise the latter due to fact that synergys add up and than get multiplied by the mastery. so for example if you have +10 skills on your gear, max FB and 20 synergy points already and 1 mastery, and 20 points to spend, optimal would be 10 mastery and 31 synergy. According to this splendid calculator:
    http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e9325732/skillcalc

11. piscene

piscene IncGamers Member

You are right that when you first get Meteor its not worth using. Keep building it up, because you'll want it in Hell. The delay in Meteor can easily be overcome by using teleport to move up and back, and using your FO to slow everybody down.

It definitely takes some getting used to as a slower skill, but it works out great once you get the rythym down. :thumbsup:

12. maxgerin

General Assumption: you always have 1 point in both Fire Bolt and Fire Mastery.

Say you have 20 Fire Bolt: that gives 20 x 14% = 280% more to Fireball.
    One point in FM plus +10 skills from equipment gives 100% more.
    Total of 380% more to Fireball damage.

On the other hand, 20 FM gives 163%.
    Then say you have +10 skill from equipments, that gives an additional 70%.
    Additional 14% from +1 Fire Bolt as pre-req.
    For a total of 247% more to Fireball.

If you split it between Fire Bolt and FM:
    11 Firebolt gives 154% more damage to Fireball.
    11 FM plus +10 skill from equipment gives 170% more.
    Total of 324% more fire damage to Fireball.

If my computation is correct, it is still better to max Fire Bolt first.
    But maybe I got something wrong...

--maxgerin

13. Llathias

Llathias Banned

@maxgerin: as Artagas said, synergy bonuses are additive while Masteries are multiplicative. consult the calculator for the best skill distribution.

14. maxgerin

:teeth: I'll shut up now...

--maxgerin