Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

meteorb solo runs, and beloved mercenaries

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Artagas, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

meteorb solo runs, and beloved mercenaries

I need some advice on which runs i should be doing with my meteorb. she is level 84, and doesn't really have much good gear on her (3 skillers or so...mf around 230)
    nm andy and mephisto (pl4) goes very fast but 1) i am bored of them 2) though they can drop several nice items, there is many they can't and the vast majority of the runs results in a large pile of junk.
    hell andy/hell mephy - these two would be worth it, but they really go too slowly. the reason for that is my merc being unable to survive for more than 5 secs. (he is hf, lev 81, his gear is undead crown, corpsemourn/skin of the flayed one, meat scraper/arioc's needle. i have a hard time deciding between damage/defense/leech on him, though leech doesn't really help him out against a hell boss) against andy it is the crowd that spawns around her that makes the runs rather slowish, against mephy due to the lack of tank i need to orb-dance or meteor-dance around him (sooner seems to be more effective), which takes a long time (even in pl1, it is 4-5 times slower than a nm run), and if i screw up or attract one of the uniques i am dead pretty fast.
    other things i tried was hell pindle (wasnt really worthwhile so far, but maybe i should keep on trying that), hell pit (kinda tiresome, since my merc need lots of rejuvs to stay alive here, and without him, i cant even do it), hell glacial trail (i can kill really fast here, but the chanche of something neat dropping is rather low i think).
    So what should i do? Keep on doing my nm runs at a steady pace and hope for some improvements? or do the hell ones merc-less?or is there a magical way to keep that guy alive in boss fights that i have yet to find? try some parts of hell actII maybe? share your wisdom with me.

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

I think you're pretty much screwed:) You can't run Hell Mephist/Andy without better mercenary gear, at least not very efficiently. I use a meteorb sorceress for Mephist but her merc has Shaftstop+Vampire Gaze and Kelpie Snare for slow, and he still gets his ass kicked once in a while. Nightmare MF'ing is really dull cause you don't have the chance of something really good dropping, but if you could do some more runs and maybe be lucky and get Shaftstop/Vampire Gaze/Rockstopper and Kelpie Snare, then you could run Mephisto.

Think that doing Hell runs without a merc and supersweet gear is rather dangerous and takes much too long to be truly profitable:(. Also if you're only doing Boss runs, then you should consider getting a Defiance merc since Holy Freeze doesn't work on bosses, also life leech doesn't work on bosses if you didn't already know. Some slow from Kelpie Snare or Blackhorns Face can really help out and make the runs much less dangerous, even if your merc dies, but the 50000 revive cost is a bit steep.

3. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

Hell mephisto runs on p3 isn't that hard, I have delevoped a technique similar to moating just faster and easier, I can pull out some screenshots and stuff if you want the method.

4. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

If you're looking for items run on players 1. That is almost always better than going for higher settings. Change your merc gear, too. Against meph I think you'll be wanting venom ward and depending on what you have some CB. Guillaume's face and/or hone sundan. Kelpie snare & guillaumes would be ideal. Feed your merc potions through the run so he doesn't die. Go in close, static meph to 50% and then drop the meteors and orbs. You can probably get more MF, too. Imo you don't really need a lot of +skills to reliably run meph on players 1, which is all you really need.

Once you get some half decent items it's not hard to move on to hell baal or the Pit.

5. shermo

shermo IncGamers Member

Hell meph doesn't have a great deal more hit points than nm, the biggest difference is his resistances. In hell he's got 70, in nm only 25, so I suggest pumping cold mastery a bit more if you want to focus on meph

6. isengart

isengart IncGamers Member

that's what I have done at my lvl 90 meteorb but I must say, in some situations I'd rather have that plus in fire damage. meph can also be killed by meteors...

I use a defiance merc and his gear is an upped shaftstop, The Reaper's Toll and a Tal Rasha's Horadic Crest, which is not the best item for running meph but I do other runs as well and my merc hardly dies. More FHR is always helpful at merc. If mine dies it is because of being sent into hitrecovery and ongoing attacks.

Just level up a few more levels and you will see your merc grow stronger. It is of course most important to keep your merc's level equal to yours...

EDIT: My favourite lvl 85 area is river of flames.

7. Chimaira

Against Hell Mephist I think damage reduction and slow is much more important than poison resist. The poison will eventually kill the merc but Mephisto's physical attacks will really take away large chunks of the mercs life.

8. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

I'd keep running NM Meph. If you don't have a Shaftstop, Gaze and Kelpie Snare/Hone Sudan for your merc then you certainly haven't tapped all his available drops you so keep plugging away there.

ALso the Mausoleum is an underrated lvl85 area for running with a MeteOrb is you feel like trying that out. I'd also try and get some more levels, at least into the high 80's before tackling Meph. The mausoleum should help out with that.

9. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

If you're tired of doing NM Meph/Andy runs, then switch to NM Baal. He gives really good experience up to level 72ish and can drop more items than Meph, including some of the low-end elites (Including Harlequin Crest)!

10. mad.as.a.meataxe

mad.as.a.meataxe IncGamers Member

Hi, do you accept donations? While I don't have any spare Shaftstops lying about at the moment I'm sure someone here will. For the price of an email address I'm sure I can dig up a Hone/Reapers Toll/Kelpie/Rockstopper combo for you and somebody else might have a Shaft.

If you're self-found then the idea of running NM meph until you get some halfway decent merc gear and then Hell Meph for much better gear is not a bad one. I always found that Shaftstop was the one piece of equipment that gave my merc staying power.

MAAM

11. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

Thanks for the advice. out of the items you mentioned i only have hone sundan, and that is currently on my barb's merc (he found it after all and i kept my sorc untwinked so far, so i will probably wait till she finds her own). I don't like running NM Baal all that much. It takes a little too long compared to what i can get, and i dont get xp for doing it anymore. though a shako would be nice indeed (actually, even nm andy can drop things i could use, Tal's amulet for ex...or SoJ...like that's ever gonna' happen :p )
    I think Lake of Fire is a very good suggestion. I can orb my way right through it.
    I pumped cold mastery (it is 6 or so unmodified now), but i probably won't increase it any further.

hf is not too useful indeed against bosses, but i would like to be doing non-boss runs when i get a little stronger and it is a great help in many areas, especially when cold immunes are around. (and it would be useful for Andy runs if the wretched AI wouldn't make my silly merc charge right into Andy instead of freezing and attracting the rest of the monsters while i finish of the boss)

EDIT: thanks for the offer, but i will keep her untwinked/self-found for now (and maybe for a long time).
    And Corrupted, I'd be very much interested in those screenshots.
    Currently i don't have a too advanced Meph-killing tactic. I try to deal in a few statics fast, than i start "dancing" around him and spraying orbs. Meteors don't work well against him on hell. (they would with another +6 or so skill...)

12. frosty

frosty IncGamers Member

Hell Pindle and Ancient Tunnels.

My lvl 92 meteor/FO sorc can run pindle pretty well and Ancient tunnels with its lack of CIs should be easy for the FOs.

13. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

sorry about the double post, but i read this topic again after waking up, and this sentence struck me. is it really worth a ko+lem to upgrade a shaftshop? or am i confused here?

btw, i found a venom ward last night (night andy), and i always had the kelpie snare it was just sitting on the bottom of my atma stash and i totally forgot about it. (yeah, i often don't know which items i should value). Significantly easier to run hell this way, but strangely poison damage still rips the merc apart, even at 90% res. (is there a way to get 100% on him?) At least now i have enough time to teleport him out of the battle and heal him up if he gets poisoned, even if i don't have rejuvs. (I know i should always have some, but so tiresome to look for champions/uniques between each run. maybe i should do 1 pindle - 1 mephy or something like that.)

14. Mraezk

Mraezk IncGamers Member

If you're following the standard meteorb build, the meteors should be doing at least 5-6k+ dmg at that level, no? That should be more then enough to drop hell meph quickly. If you're not using one already, get a Leaf runeword staff. That'll add a ton of damage by itself, and all the items for it can drop in act 1 normal.

It may be a question of ethics for some, but I was always under the impression that most folks used the Moat trick or whatnot to kill meph with sorcs. It is certainly much quicker and easier then having a merc without elite gear tank him.

I never bothered much with NM meph once he was out of XP range. It didn't seem worth it since Hell Meph can drop everything the NM version can, and more. Although this could explain why I still don't have things like a Skin of Viper or whatnot, but I think having 3 or 4 Ormus robes makes up for that.

15. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

I dont use my leaf too often anymore, though maybe i should for the meph runs (the base staff for it was a +2 fireball one...i could find something better than that.) Most of the time i go for my razorswitch, since FO seems to be killing him quicker (i do 6-6500 avarage with a meteor depending on my gear setup. but even that doesn't seem to hurt him too much).
    As for NM mephy...i think the time i spent running him so far was spent well (mostly for my assasin, he dropped 2 Bartuc, martial skiller circlet, assasin skiller gloves...i think he just likes my 'sin for some weird reason :p also he dropped enough vipermagis for my growning number of new chars) Though i am definitely at the point where i want more than that (my sorc thinks it'd be about time for an ormus and a proper orb...and a Tal's set...and a few other things) that is why i posted this thread to begin with.

16. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

@Chimaira: "You're pretty screwed" isn't great advice or even a worthwhile response. Even if you were kidding. It's probably better to give great advice instead of saying "You're screwed, give it up."

Anywho.

Onto my response.

When I first built my meteorb sorc, I followed Lord Vega's Guide. It's very informative, and while he reccommends high level and rare gear, it's easily substituted with other things. If you're looking to rebuild this is a great way to go.

If you don't want to take the time to rebuild, I reccommend this:
    Option 1: The Heavy Potion Method
    I used this for a long time until my merc was able to tank Meph without as much trouble. It's handy and takes some getting used to. If you're good at placing your orbs so they open up on Meph, you can do this pretty simply.
    -Get a 4 slot belt. Fill it full of Super Healing Potions on all four slots.
    -When your merc engages Mephisto, the second his life drops, feed him an entire row of potions by holding Shift and jamming on the 1 key(or whatever your potion hotkey may be.).
    -Spend this time mowing meph to the ground with orbs.
    -Lightning Absorb is an almost must. Mephistos charged bolt can be very devestating to a merc. His poison is more or less counteracted by the row of potions. Getting some damage reduction is a great idea as well since his melee is pretty rough.

Option 2: No Mercenary Method
    Once my meteorb got to a high enough level, she was able to take a hit or six from meph without being completely shattered. It's all about timing with this method.
    -Watch how mephisto attacks and learn what it looks like before each casting animation.
    -Learn how far to move and when to move to strafe out of the way of his attacks.
    -Keep strafing his attacks and orbig him.
    -Learn how to properly cast your Orb so when the final circle of shards explode outwards it opens up ON TOP of mephisto. This does serious damage.

I prefer option 2 since it's way too easy to get past Meph's attacks. But sometimes it's fun to be lazy and have your merc tank.

17. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

That guide is not bad at all, though i don't like the idea of being so focused on cold. if i want to dump a lot of points into that tree i will make a blizz sorc. the point of meteorb for me is that it takes advantage of a "21 point wonder" (well, 25 in my case, but still not 40). Also his fire skills are ill distributed imho, according to the elemental calculator, dumping 15 into the mastery while only having 11 synergy is not quite a great idea. But i guess i better discuss that in the guide's thread.
    As for rebuilding. if i do another sorc i will do a single tree one. i see no reason to rebuild this meteorb girl.

Ok, i dont have good gear, but i do have a four slot belt! yay me!:) (an upped goldwrap actually) as for having 16 heals in it, i don't quite have enough mana to support that tactic (energy 50...still have 100 spare stat points but i think it won't be more than 75 on this char ever.)
    As for the rest of what you have suggested, you're perfectly right. i don't really have lightning absorb items though. Actually, my lres is 75 and i can avoid those attacks mostly anyhow, my merc of course can not.
    btw, when trying to approximate the damage done by orb on a boss, how many shards should i calculate with, supposing the orb was well placed?

18. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

Actually, NM meph is pretty good IMO. You said it yourself, you can get vipermagi, shaftstop, kelpie snare, HoZ etc, plenty of good end-game gear which gets you there to hell.

As serdash mentioned, there are ways to handle Meph without a merc. It just takes more practice.

19. Chimaira

I was kidding...hence the smiley...sorry if anyone was offended...I did try to give some worthwile advice afterwards, and all I really meant was that he probably wouldn't be able to run Hell Mephisto without great gear, and that he would have to continue the "boring" nightmare runs he was doing right now. I don't see any harm in a little fun, but if anyone else thinks it was out of line I'll consider it more seriously.

I'd say only if you use a Defiance merc...that should give a rather large boost to defence, for Holy Freeze or Might I don't think it's worth the runes. And again only if you don't have anything else more important to spend the runes on.

As someone already mentioned Mephisto has very large fire resist in Hell (75%?) so even 6k meteor damage (what I am currently doing) is not better than orb, because of Cold Mastery. Of course if you are using the Moat trick you have to use meteors but they are much slower in killing Mephisto than Orb is.

The potion thing that Serdash suggests is a good idea but without some damage reduction gear or Kelpie Snare for slow (or both of course) I don't think even massive potting can save your merc.

I also partially disagree with the lightning absorb...once the merc has engaged Mephisto he is much less likely to fire lightning bolts...but when he does it does indeed do massive damage. Still most of his attacks will do physical damage, but maybe a Blackthorns Face for both slow and lightning absorb would be cool.

Edit: I think NM Mephisto is quite good Sunbearie, but I've played for so long that I've found almost all the stuff he is capable of dropping so I don't find it as exciting anymore, and since it's not such a big step up to Hell Mephisto...

20. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

I only recommend Lightning Absorb on a merc. With proper avoidance techniques you shouldn't be taking many, if any at all, hits from Mephisto. Good gear isn't required, just a bit of skill and some patience.