Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Meteorb Rebuild Questions...

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by gibsonSG, Oct 8, 2006.

1. gibsonSG

gibsonSG IncGamers Member

Meteorb Rebuild Questions...

I'm trying to scrounge up some of the things I will be looking for to "upgrade" and re-build my Meteorb sorceress. I was wondering if I could get some of the forum members' insight as to the questions I have about what I want to do with this character stat/skill/gear -wise.

Before I get to the gear, I want to explain what I'm using this character for. I'm using her for all around magic finding, rushing, questing, etc. I guess, like most meteorb sorceresses she'll probably be more geared towards PvM playing. When deciding what gear I want to give her, I'm looking for a great balance between MF gear and "Killing-speed" gear. I'll list what I want her to have and add some comments as I go along.

ENIGMA Archon Plate (I know she has teleport, but as far as MF goes - this armor is king for life bonuses/+skills/FRW/etc.)
    HARLYQUIN CREST Shako (Again, pretty standard for MFing - the question is what to socket this with...I'll get to that later)
    THE OCCULUS Swirling Crystal (Yet again, the end-all-be-all MFing sorceress weapon - same question with socketing...)
    SPIRIT Monarch (No MF, but this will help with killing speed - another essential sorceress item - I have questions about this below)
    WAR TRAVLER Battle Boots (Standard MF boots; the other mods are great too)
    MAGEFIST Light Gauntlets (I could swap these out for chancies, but I perfer these for the +fire skills/FCR mods)
    ARACHNID MESH Spiderweb Sash (I want to get one of these again, for the killing-speed; I suppose I could use a GOLDWRAP as backup or if I want more MF)
    MARA'S KALAEDISCOPE Amulet (Again, for killing-speed/wellroundedness...this incarnation of my sorceress is sorely lacking in resists - adding this and a torch/anni will remedy that even if I get a low Mara's...)
    STONE OF JORDAN Ring (Pretty standard - will help with killing speed, giving much-needed mana and skills)
    WISP PROJECTOR Ring (I perfer this over a perfect NAGELRING; it has not-as-much MF, but a very useful second mod in the lightning absorb)

What should I put into my harly and occulus' sockets? I'm thinking a 5/5 cold die facet for the occulus for sure. For the shako, would it be worth using a Cham rune for the can't be frozen mod? I suppose I could also add a perfect topaz for the MF, another 5/5 cold die facet for more cold damage, or maybe a Jah rune for even MORE life...

I'll also be equipping her with a Hellfire Torch and Annihilus charm to help reduce stat point expendature. This leads me to my next question - max block or no? Considering that I'll probably be using the SPIRIT monarch as my main shield, is it even worth trying to get max block with this? It has like 49% chance to block - screwing the sorceress in terms of dexterity expendature. Unfortunately, she also gets screwed on the vitality points too, as she only gets 2 life per point. Like I said, I'll most likely CONSTANTLY be using the SPIRIT, but is it worth getting max block when I'd have to spend so much in dexterity? On to the next issue: the merc.

I'll be hiring Durga again - my Act 2 Holy Freeze mercenary. He just works out so well even when equipped with crappy gear. With a Stealskull, INSIGHT Giant Thresher (non-etheral), and an ethereal Duriel's Shell, this guy holds his own quite well. I'm thinking of doing a few things to improve him. I know most people like to put INSIGHT in a ethereal colossus voluge, but I think I might give him an ethereal giant thresher for that purpose. I like the HUGE range and very fast attack speed on this sucker; even though he won't do as much damage, he'll be getting in more hits and thus, more damage. For his armor, I could do a few things too; I could upgrade his Duriel's Shell and socket it (any ideas what I should put in there?) or I can make him an ethereal FORTITUDE. I have an ethereal FORTITUDE on my dreamdin's A1 mercenary and she is a freakin' beast with that thing on. I was wondering what ethereal socketed armor would be most affordable/best to use for the A2 mercenary. I might just stick with the Archon Plate because it looks to me like it has roughly the same defense as the "heavier" armors do, and he'll be able to equip it earlier. Assuming I use the FORTITUDE, what should I do with the helm for him? I assume I should socket it with a CHAM rune for the "can't be frozen" mod if I ditch the Duriel's Shell? I might go for either an ethreal vampire gaze or an andariel's visage here.

Sorry I put so much in there, but I suppose it will reduce the number of posts I'll have to make relating to this. As always, your insight is appreciated...

2. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

1 nitpick, all act2 merc attack at range 2 regardless of weapon range.

3. gibsonSG

...regardless - the faster speed allows me to get to the next breakpoint quicker, correct? What's the "ideal" weapon for the mercenary then?

4. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

My standard build

Full Tal
    Magefists
    35% FCR Spirit
    War Trav's
    2x SOJ's or 2x Nagels (depending if you solo MF or group play)

I socket weapon IST and helm/armor with fire facets. (FO is a backup attack mainly) You could also use P Topaz's in helm/armor for more MF.

Don't bother to Cham anything - being frozen doesn't really affect sorc's. Your teleport and cast speed is unaffected. The only time you walk anywhere is in town. You never attack anything either, so no worries.

I actually have all the gear you mention for my hammerdin (well, hoto instead of occy). But it just doesn't compare to tal set. I squeak out a few more MF%, but my damage goes down, I have less mana, resists go way down. Read "the truth about tal set" stickied in the library. Tal set is the best there is for meteorb sorcs.

Never try to max block with a spirit, you'd have to put all your points into dex and you'd end up with no vit. Just stay as base dex.

For your merc - go with a cryptic axe. It's faster than a CV, and with 20 IAS it hits the same jab breakpoint as the thresher/giant thresher and has more damage. to get the 20 IAS use a Andy'd helm. For his armor use a Stone AP or Fort AP. If you can glitch a better eth armor then go for it. Base armor for merc doesn't matter that much - just use whatever he has the STR to equip. Once you get to a good level, you won't need insight at all anymore. Look for something that will get you more damage (BOTD, obediance, reapers toll, tomb reaver - all eth of course)

look back a few pages for a thread I started called somethign like "best polearm for merc infinity" It developed into a good discussion about what polearms are best for all merc weapons.

5. Delreich

Delreich IncGamers Member

You're thinking of a great poleaxe, not a cryptic axe. :wink3:
    CA is just as slow as CV, and has the same damage.

6. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

I wanted to reply earlier but couldn't because some moron dragged me down the path of 'ban'nation. :grin:

I'm a fan of full Tal's myself, but MageChick has covered that, so I'll see if I can offer some comments on the unique/runeword setup.

Armour: Enigma will do for the MF, although CoH offers great resists and a bit of MF too.

Helm: Yes, Harly, and socket with an Um if you need resists, otherwise a pTopaz/Ist.

Weapon: Personally, I hate the Occy, the random teleport annoys me to no end. How about HotO or even a fire Eschuta's?

Shield: Spirit is fine, but never max block with it, even with your stats charms. It is better to max vita and just stay out of melee range.

Boots, Belt, Gloves, Amulet, Ring1: I'm with you here.

Ring2: Well, the Wisp Projector will help with Souls, but you'll still be taking damage. If you are a bit more careful around Souls, you could swap it out for another SoJ. Killing power vs Survivability. Usually, I go for the latter, but in this case, Souls are not too hard to manage with Fireball and Meteor.

If you're going to use any facets, I'd suggest fire facets instead of cold. You are a Meteorb afterall. Your fire spells are very damaging, so add in some -enemy fire resistance for even greater killing power. FO spreads its damage out over a large area, so a cold facet wouldn't really make any noticeable difference in killing speed.

On the resists issue, either use Ums in the helm/armour, or if you don't need them, pTopaz/Ist them. Forget the Jah, and forget the Cham. Teleport is your walking/running, and being chilled does not affect your casting rate.

I do believe that an eth Fortitude is one of the best choices for your merc. Just make it in the highest base defense eth armour (don't use the heavy armours) you can find. AP is good, but so is a good Sacred Armour. Use Andy's Face to help him wear it (bear in mind that he'll still have to be around the 80's) and for the IAS. Socket the helm with either a resist rune or a Jewel of Fervour if it helps him reach the next Jab breakpoint.

EDIT:
    Also note that if you use Occy, you'll need a 35% FCR Spirit to reach the 105% FCR bp, whereas with a HotO/Eschuta's a 25% FCR Spirit will do.

7. MageChick

Yep, you got it

8. gibsonSG

Hmm....I'm seriously considering a "Full Tal's" set build now. This gear could go towards a Boner(mancer) that I plan on building, and it wouldn't cost me too much on USEast Ladder. I'm wondering what I could swap around/keep if I do decide to go full Tal's. Also, what's the general consensus of choice-ethereal-polearm for INSIGHT for my merc? I'll probably get a second one for the necromancer too, so I'd best kill two birds with one stone and figure out which is the best. I suppose I'm still partial to giant thresher because of its speed.

Thanks

9. MageChick

Well, THE choice pole is the eth 4os Criptic Axe (it commands the highest price). But I'd say Eth Great Poleaxe for faster attack. Giant Thresher is nice too. If you actually get a eth 4os elite polearm its kinda a waste to put insight in it. Seems odd to use a pole that will sell for hrs, when the highest rune you are socketing is a Sol. I'd sell the eth version and stick to non-eth versions for insight.

10. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

GPA does 46 to 127 (86.5 Avg). WSM of 0.

GT does 40 to 114 (77 Avg). WSM of -10.

I usually prefer the GPA, and since your merc isn't loaded with CB, DS, OW etc, an attack rate which is 1 frame faster (from the GT) isn't going to be a big deal.

However, unless you use Andy's Face socketed with a 15% IAS jewel (to use with the GPA), you are probably better off with the GT, for if the merc has no IAS, then he needs the faster GT.

And yeah, non-eth polearms are fine, since Insight isn't primarily there for damage, and your sorc will handle everything other than dual CI/FI.