Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Meteorb questions...

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by mdbutphy, May 30, 2005.

1. mdbutphy

mdbutphy Diabloii.Net Member

Meteorb questions...

Hey guys. I've got a lvl75 meteorb sorc and I'm playing through hell now, and I've got some questions...rather problems to deal with.

1. I haven't gotten very good at using meteor. It seems like it just takes FOREVER to come down. I usually lead it out in front of me, and let the enemies run into it, which is fine, but if there are obstacles in the way, I sometimes screw it up.
    2. Frozen Orb (as you all know) doesn't do much for me in hell. It's damage is decent, but if you run into a pack of cold immunes, you have no quick crowd-control spell, other than static field, which will allow your merc to handle things. That is, unless it's a big group...say, a large group of stygian dolls...yikes.

So basically, I've got two ideas I need help with.
    option a) I need advice on how to play the meteorb better in hell. Nightmare was pretty easy...I just ran around spamming FO, and used meteor only when I met a cold immune, or as a "prep" spell on baal runs. But in hell, almost every monster is immune to something, and when I hit cold immunes, I have a hard time using meteorb.
    option b) I'm pondering building a new sorc with emphasis on cold and lightning skill trees. Both trees have excellent crowd-control spells (FO/CL), and do decent damage (though don't reach the potential of a completely maxed meteor). Furthermore, the lightning spells seem easier to use (at least to me).

Anyway, just wanted some opinions. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks..
    Matt

2. Leonavice

Leonavice Diabloii.Net Member

Use fireball if you meet cold immunes that are bearing down on you fast. Seriously for me, fire is the main skill while frozen orb is a backup in case you meet fire immunes. The damage of meteor far outstrips frozen orb.

3. Liliel

Liliel Diabloii.Net Member

Umm... you ARE using your Fireball, aren't you?

4. mdbutphy

mdbutphy Diabloii.Net Member

yeah, but it's not maxed yet, so it takes a while to take anything out using it...so, the answer is yes, but it's almost easier to use meteor in most situations...so, what you guys think about options a and b?

5. sasja

sasja Diabloii.Net Member

Some excerpts from my Meteorb guide which may be useful:
    So basically, don't try to time how long a monster is getting from a to b and when and where to drop your Meteors to hit them. Teleport right to them, leaving your merc in prime position to tank their attacks and run a few steps back so you don't draw any fire yourself. Then start dropping your Meteors right on your merc's head! If your merc has trouble surviving until the impact hits (remember to shoot out Fireballs, too, they will both damage and stun), be sure he's high enough level (75-80 are good levels to start Hell, depending on your gear), that he's a HF merc, and that he has plenty of armor. Good luck!

6. PoorCobbler

PoorCobbler Diabloii.Net Member

lol i find that i only ever actually use meteor at meph and sometimes at pindle... every other time i use fb and fo

7. Leonavice

Don't forget to use a good armor for your merc. Stone is good as it offers 60 FHR for your merc and at least 250 ED. Duress offers a bit less FHR (40) but gives you 15% CB and some very minor enhanced damage. Also, Reaper's Toll works wonders since Decrepify cuts resistance in half which makes your meteors hit harder.

8. Chimaira

Chimaira Diabloii.Net Member

Decreipify only lowers physical resistance...so he will only help your mercs damage:(

Shaftstop is also an excellent merc armor!

9. Leonavice

My bad.

You would think that the big rock falling down from the sky is somehow solid though :lol:

10. Chimaira

Chimaira Diabloii.Net Member

Yes that would make sense...and be really cool in the process:) I tried to make Meteor do physical damage in my mod, but it didn't work:( On the other hand it would be quite unbalanced if the sorceress could do massive physical damage too...

11. Gandalf[RTG]

Gandalf[RTG] Diabloii.Net Member

While on the topic of the Meteorb...
    Where is the prime location to level a merc? My meteorb is currently lvl 71 and a nice merc would be really handy. I haven't decided yet on holy freeze or defensive merc. But as soon as I do where should I take them to level?

12. newerest

newerest Diabloii.Net Member

At that level, I guess nightmare baal runs and after about 7 levels, hell cows.