Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

MeteOrb questions

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Ashmer Amadeus, May 10, 2005.

1. Ashmer Amadeus

Ashmer Amadeus IncGamers Member

MeteOrb questions

I'm going to start a MeteOrb Sorc again after my son deleted the other one. My biggest question is concerning dex. Do I need any, and if so, how much. I don't want to put all my points into Vit to find out my end game weapon should be Wizzy and not have the dex to use it. I have some okay gear for her, enough to start running NM meph when I get there. Once I get there, I'll have to spend a bunch of time rerolling maps right? How long should a Meph run take? Also, according to someones guide (Vega?) you should max Frozen Orb and then Cold Mastery. Why should I max Cold Mastery second? Wouldn't I be better off maxing Meteor? I'll be level 75ish when I get to Hell, so I could have both maxed by then and working on CM. Thanks for all the help everyone.

2. Slothman

Slothman IncGamers Member

Im afraid i cant answer the should i put dex in or not question? its all a matter of personal preference (i went for block with my meteorb and it worked a treat (ryme grim shield has 60% base block and not much str reqs for MF))
    - you make a valid point about dex for wiz spike which also made me think of suggesting having your strength at 84 (for tal rashas armour) i thought i never would find one (and when i did!) i didnt have the strength to equip it, have to wear a +29 str ammy hehe

the reason for maxing orb and then cold mastery is because
    A. orb is your main utility skill though the game and
    B. orb and cold mastery is a lot more effective against mephiso than meteor

sorry my post is heavily based on my own character but i dont consider myself experienced enough to say much else :lol:

3. Sidhe

Sidhe IncGamers Member

Meteorb: MAX Meteor, MAX Fire Ball, MAX Fire Mastery (in that order), Max Frozen Orb, put some points into Cold Mastery (having 17 points in that after plus skills is nice), and put points in the One Point Wonders Static and Teleport, Warmth.
    Check out the stickies for a good description of the how and what of this build (can't remember who wrote the one i used, sorry Author of the Guide, but it was the longest one, 22 pages when printed).

I'm not really fond of the whole points in dex thing, although others swear by it. It doesn't seem to work for me for some reason. If you're sure you'll use Wizardspike one day, i'd say put points in dex, 75 for normal Wiz, 60 for Wiz socketed with Hel. And going for block on a shield is not bad either. Just don't lose sight of the red orb and the need to have that reasonably well-filled as well.

Meph runs have no time-limit, although faster runs means more items in a lesser amount of time. Being a slow player myself, i'm not the right person to answer this question. As for the re-rolling: try to get a map with the shortest possible distance between the Durance WP and the entrance to lvl 3, but i guess you'd figured that out already. ;)

Hope this helped a bit...

4. killian27

killian27 IncGamers Member

Dex? Well I think you have to decide if you will be using a sheild or not, if so then you would want to have enough dex to keep your chance to block at 75%. If you don't want a shield, then you just need enough dex meet the requirements of the equipment you want. I believe the recommended strategy is to go with a shield (something with a high chance to block... Sigon's, stormshield, etc.)

I don't re-roll maps, but i dont play sorc much either, so I think you would roll until you can get to mephy fairly quickly and safely... make sure you have point(s) in teleport.

Frozen orb should take you through normal and nightmare easily without fireball/meteor. The point of putting points into cold mastery early on is because it decreases monster resistance to cold.

5. AndiDi

AndiDi IncGamers Member

Hi,

I'm not an expert when it comes to Meteorb sorcs. But I currently have a HC one in Act I Hell.
    I discovered that a shield is good to have with all these ranged attackers in Hell that really hurt. So you need the dexterity for a good chance to block (>50%).

That depend if you kill any monsters on the way to mephisto or you just teleport to him directly. If you kill the monsters on the way to him (good if you are around level 60-65, then you get some exp) it should take you around 3-4 minutes if you have a fast map and no dangerous mods on the bosses.

My HC Meteorb is now level 77. I have maxed FOrb, Meteor and Fireball. CM and FM is at 10 (after + to skills). Leveling I spent a few points into Fireball and prepreq skills on the way to Frozen Orb. At level 24 I started pumping points into Meteor. Saved a few skill points to dump into FM, CM and ForzenOrb at level 30. I then maxed FrozenOrb, then pumped CM to 10, then Meteor, FM and Fireball. Considering that she is semiuntwinked (TWD tourney rules) she kills ok in P1 Hell.
    I think that 10 points into CM is enough, and the saved 10 points can go into another fire skill for more damage.

6. supermatt

supermatt IncGamers Member

only get Dex if your shield needs it... i only have enough to equip the shield - i plan not to get hit at all whether i block it or not.
    otherwise, Wizzy? pfft. Meteor and Orb are on timers so the only thing you need FCR for is Tele and Fireball IMO. that's why you'd equip it, right?

my sorc had maxed FO, Fireball, Meteor and Fire Mastery then points in Static Field, Cold Mastery and Teleport.
    i wouldn't max Cold Mastery, but give it every point you have spare after maxing Meteor, Orb, Fire Mastery and Fire Ball (not in order of priority)

:) matt

7. Ashmer Amadeus

I'm still not sure how to go, I do have a Rhyme grim shield. My thoughts on the Wizzy were more for resists/mana then the FCR. And if I do add to Dex my weapon selection opens up. Could use Spectral Shard early in the game and use it until I have acess to my rare orb. I'll go back over the guides and see what the majority of them say. Thanks

8. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

Dex: It depends on where you like to MF. If it will be a (hell) meph runner, you so dont need a shield, so i say just forget it. Same would go for Ancient Tunnels or Mausoleum. However if you enjoy running places such as the pit, that are loaded with archers, you will struggle without blocking. Personally i prefer full vitality.
    Rerolling Maps: Do not spend a bunch of time doing it. Think about it like that: an average meph-rush is approx 50 second if you are fast. Having a close to perfect map might reduce it to around 45 or not even so. Getting that perfect map might take hours and is insanely boring and irritating. So instead just reroll enough so it is not like in the opposite corner and get some runs on already, unless you're planning to do a few hundred at least without ever joining a multiplayer game. Actually I do have a perfect map for mephisto now (1 teleport to stairs from wp) but it only marginally speeds me up and also makes me concerned about mp-ing with my sorc and losing my seed, which is way more fun than doing those runs anyways.
    Skill points: Maxing CM imho is not a good thing. Negative resistance is capped, so after some points spent it wont make a difference for the majority of the monsters. (and it will _never_ break immunities anyhow) I put 5 points into it, but you should decide based on your +skills and -enemy cold resistance items.
    As for the fire tree: max FB, Meteor all right. But unlike most people would suggest do_not max fire mastery. instead distribute your points between the mastery and the fire bolt synergy so it optimizes your damage with the +skills you have (that only help mastery). For the calculations use, the wonderful elemental damage calculator (yes, this is a "legal" one):
    http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e9325732/skillcalc

9. Ashmer Amadeus

I plan on her end spot being Hell Meph, but I can't promise I won't try Baal with her later. I think that for now I will go with a minimal dex investment. Hopefully Meph will drop me some nice gear so I can run Hell. I did max FO first on the deleted charicter, and it was awesome. I didn't plan to max CM, and I don't think I will with this charicter either. I don't have much gear, but I still came up with +4 skills, so I don't think I'll put more then 10 into CM. I'll figure out the fire side as I go. I'll use my Rhyme shield, but unless I see myself getting hit a lot I don't think I'll do much with dex. Wish me luck eh?

10. Sidhe

Sidhe IncGamers Member

Good luck! :)

Maxing FO before all else is certainly not wrong, makes end Normal and the whole of NM like a stroll in the park. I did the same with my MeteOrb, and she's doing fine (lvl 80, in Act 2 Hell now). But indeed, after FO, Max the Fire Tree Skills first, then put the remaining points in CM. Nicest would be to have CM at lvl 17 after +skills, since that would make the monster's res to cold -100% (if i'm correct).

11. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Some monsters have some cold resistance so they won't have -100% cold resistance...still lvl 17 is a nice lvl to shoot for!

12. Sidhe

Sidhe IncGamers Member

I put it down wrongly, but 17 CM would make the "pierce cold resistance" -100%, and according to Arreat Summit, can calculate like this: monster cold resistance - 100% = less monster cold resistance, sometimes even negative cold resistance. And it will work on any monsters but Cold Immunes, so... Yeah, lvl 17 is nice :)

13. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

also consider that even with a linear skill progression (5%/level) CM gives diminising returns in some sense. for example lowering a monsters resistence from 0% to -5% does a 5% increase in the actual damage delt, while lowering it from -50% to -55% is only a 3.33% damage increment. Of course either way it is certainly better to raise CM than putting points into orb's synergy (only 2%/point) if you want more cold damage.

To look at the practical side of things, with my meteorber (Orb 30 and CM 16 with +skills iirc) pretty much the only time i use orbs is when i face fire immunes (or if i want the slow effect). Fireballs against regular monsters and uniques, and meteors against act bosses and Baal's minions seem to be lot more efficient.
    Even though you only have +4 skills now i suggest you count on having a lot more when planning your skills. I only spent a fraction of the time running Mephisto (both hell and nm) compared to most of the people around here, and i already found at least 2 shakos, 2 occulus, a couple of archanid meshes, and a number of other things that give +skills. You should expect the same eventually i guess and plan your build accordingly.

14. Ashmer Amadeus

Playing Olivia the first time I maxed FO first, made the latter part of Normal and what I'd done of Nightmare pretty easy. Tals belt adds some dex, as does Ravenfrost, I think I'll use both of those and not worry so much about hard points in dex. I'm not sure if I'll use Fireball or FO more once I reach Hell, I'll just have to try both and see which way I like better. Thanks for all the replies, hopefully I can start Olivia over again after Hunter goes to sleep.

15. ToastedTacoGuy

ToastedTacoGuy IncGamers Member

i actually maxed FO and CM since i was following Vega's MF meteorb guide and thats what it recommended. i wouldnt recommend doing this early on though, acts 1 and 2 in hell would have been a lot easier if i had some more points in meteor at the time, although i am quite happy with how the build is doing in act 4 hell atm. if you are gonna be running meph then FO is more important than meteor, since meph has horrible cold resists.