Meteorb or FO/CL

Cory

Diabloii.Net Member
Meteorb or FO/CL

I've just started playing Diablo II again recently and I was looking at builds for a sorceress. These two have really interested me and I'm having a hard time choosing between the two. Both seem like they can handle Hell difficulty and also MF pretty well, just don't know which one is "better." Any information and stories of personal experience with either of these would help my decision, and would be greatly appreciated.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
Cory said:
I've just started playing Diablo II again recently and I was looking at builds for a sorceress. These two have really interested me and I'm having a hard time choosing between the two. Both seem like they can handle Hell difficulty and also MF pretty well, just don't know which one is "better." Any information and stories of personal experience with either of these would help my decision, and would be greatly appreciated.

If you plan on going pvm in hell solo, go the dual element. It's more irritating than you might believe to try single-element pvm hell solo.

Cory

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, I wanted a dual elemental sorc because my old cold sorceress had nothing on the immunes, so my choices were between the cold/fire for the meteorb or the cold/lightning of the frozen orb/chain lightning sorceress. I just didn't know which one seemd to work better, if either. Figured it was just a preference thing but I wanted to hear from a few people before I rushed into making one or the other.

sanguillen

Diabloii.Net Member
I haven't tried the FO/CL sorc before (hopefully one day), but the Meteorb one seems to work well in Hell (hardcore). Have a look at sasja's guide - it's excellent.

sanguillen

sasja

Diabloii.Net Member

If you're strictly soloing, I'd say try CL/FO - if you like both soloing and grouping, the Meteorb is for you.

The Meteorb is also stronger vs bosses, so bear that in mind of you plan on farming Mephisto.

Cory

Diabloii.Net Member
Since you took the time to give me a suggestion, I actually sat down and read the whole way through your build, Sasja (earlier I had skimmed over it). I'd have to say its great. Its very informative and sounds like a nice build. The reason I had thought about CL is because it would be able to handle larger groups of monsters, but it seems like Meteor can do the job, even on faster monsters, if I have a holy freeze aura mercenary. I do have one question, though. I saw that your Meteor was dealing out about "11,000 impact damage" (very impressive) and I'm sure your orb is at about 350 per shard. I just wanted to know how effect fireball is and about how much damage it does. Thanks again for the suggestion and hopefully I'll have lots of fun with my new meteorb sorceress.

Venrae

Diabloii.Net Member
I have a lvl 83 CLFO sorc and am EXTREMELY happy with the results.

I can run pits easily in a 2-3 player game... the only reason I die is either because I'm poor and have horrible resists (go me) or i dont heal my merc in time with the cold+light immunes.

I have around +9 all skills through equipment right now, and I haven't quite finished maxing lightning yet, but my damage is at

these are all IIRC

FO:409-419
Lightning: 4500
CL: 3000 hits 9

i think thats what its at, d2 hasn't been letting me play recently, so Im not sure if those are correct. I can tell you however, that lightning gains damage FAST. A skill shrine gives me 5.5k light dmg easy, and I still have around 6 points left to put in lightning.

just thought I'd let you know how my clfo sorc is doing since no one else did

:D

and have fun with the sorcs!

Cory

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks Venrae, I was hoping to hear from at least one CL/FO sorc before I allocated my points. Appreciate the information on yours.

sasja

Diabloii.Net Member
Cory said:
Since you took the time to give me a suggestion, I actually sat down and read the whole way through your build, Sasja (earlier I had skimmed over it). I'd have to say its great. Its very informative and sounds like a nice build. The reason I had thought about CL is because it would be able to handle larger groups of monsters, but it seems like Meteor can do the job, even on faster monsters, if I have a holy freeze aura mercenary. I do have one question, though. I saw that your Meteor was dealing out about "11,000 impact damage" (very impressive) and I'm sure your orb is at about 350 per shard. I just wanted to know how effect fireball is and about how much damage it does. Thanks again for the suggestion and hopefully I'll have lots of fun with my new meteorb sorceress.
Thanks for the praise, I'm glad you found it useful :)
How powerful your Meteors, Frozen Orbs and Fireballs will be depend heavily upon your +skills setup and your opponent's resistance. Check out the skill calculator for the exact damage with different setups. For a monster with 0 fire resistance, a Fireball at around 5000 damage would match a Meteor at around 11000 impact damage. Orb in such a setup with 17 in CM including +skills does about 800 damage per shard to monsters with 0 cold resistance. And don't forget the stackable burning of Meteors for the tough guys.

CL is amazing for large groups of relatively weak creatures, and easier and faster to use in this case than Meteor/Fireball (for the Meteorb, I think I might use my FO in such a case). In an 8 player late hell game, I like it less ;) - and FO as a backup skill will not do impressive damage either. That's why my recommendation is to use it mainly for soloing - without a very expensive +skills/+fcr setup, I think you'll find yourself gimped in big groups.

Good luck with your sorc! Every sorc build has its advantages and disadvatages. I like the Meteorb a lot for her versatility - she's actually not the best at anything she does (Blizzard or pure Orb are faster Meph killers, CL/FO better for soloing etc), but she can do everything very well.

Big Mog

Diabloii.Net Member
I have a FO/CL sorc as my 'main' character. level 86, and loving it! It's tough in the early days, as ice bolt is WEAK, but once you hit frozen orb, you'll be styling. Good thing is, you get synergized/mastered before you even think about hitting hell, meaning you have some time to stack up on CL before advancing. It does take some time to get used to switching if CIs are mixed in with LI's, but youll get into it. I currently run:

Level 32 Frozen Orb/Cold Mastery/Ice bolt
all prereqs level 12
Orb does Around 610 per shard, and can easily whip through most monsters. In a P8 game, a few blasts are necessary, but it can solo most things easilly enough.
18 Warmth

32 CL, 13 Light Mastery, Pre reqs 12.
CL does around 1.5k damage, and until I put some more points into mastery, takes a while to kill.

She also has level 15 Energy shield on switch, due to the +3 from Warspear (unique gothic staff).

My Gear Is:
Shako
Tals Ammy
Que Hegans Wisdom (body)
Lidless Eye shield
Oculus
2 Sojs (both legit, found em meself)
Magefist
Arachnid mesh Belt

Thats the poor mans skill setup. She has Easily enough mana (I'm talking never-see-it-go-down enough (unless you get hit while ES is up or those damn Mana Burn uniques!)

Not much dex, my theory was that sorcs should never be in a situation where they have to block, and it's proven true so far. 100 strength, from now on I will be pumping EVERYTHING into strength so i can get a Spirit Monarch at level 95.

With the equipment, she can teleport very fast (not PVP fast, but more than enough for PVM), and enough hit recovery in case she does cop a blow while heading somewhere. Alot of the equipment gives +xx% to maximum mana, and her mana is at 1307. With ES up, you can easily recover from hits without needing to heal.

One thing my build left out is resists. -41 to all but cold in hell, meaning you have to take caution. Mana Burn presents my biggest problem, occasionally on my way teleporting to andy/meph, a mana burn unique gets a lucky hit, mana goes to 0, hits before i can regain the points to tele, I die.

thats about it!

Sorry about the poor form, never written anything like that before :lol:

HCTwinJava

Diabloii.Net Member
i've played meteororb many times since a very long time. recently, i restarted to play d2x and already built 1 meteorb sorc on HCL and 2 such sorcs on SCL (the first 1 uses full tal's set, the 2nd one uses custom gear like CoH etc, lvl 87 and 86 respectively). I use the two SCL sorcs to do hellforge rushes, and rarely go for baalruns. In poor gear, they are very effective everything in Norm/NM. In better gear, up to Hell act4, they are very effective too, regardless of the size of the game. For example, in a 3-player rush game, the sorc in full tal's set can tank and kill Hell Diablo in just like 20 or 30 seconds (might be a bit longer, i don't know for sure, though I always feel like it was really short). They do 10-11K impact fire dmg with meteor, roughly 4-5k with fire ball, ~400 dmg per shard with FO, 63 to a bit more than 105 FCR fulltime. they tank Diablo in any game, and I believe that's what a meterob sorc is best at (they rarely tank Hell Meph - I hate being poisoned).

about 5K fire dmg per fire ball seems a lot on paper, but if i'm unlucky, this dmg can become nowhere near to being impressive in actual game play. lately, it once took one of those two SCL sorcs a very long time (i mean like 1 min or more) to kill 3 NM ancients - NM, not Hell! the only explanation i could find was she relied too much on the "impressive" fire ball dmg.

Re CL/FO: my own CL/FO sorc is still pretty young. she does 1.5K+ L dmg * 10 shots = 15K max with CL at this time, 63+ FCR. Her merc started to use an Insight wpn at only lvl 27. Even with the lvl 14 meditation from her merc, she would still run out of mana if casting at full speed (105+). the mana problem continued until her merc's wpn changed to give lvl 17 med, she got 600+ mana, and FCR reduced from 105+ to 63+ (bad!). In terms of killing speed (assuming no immunes), CL with 15 max does not seem to be faster or better than just a lvl 15 FO with 5 CM. With CL, you can kill things a full screen away, which is sweet.

Compare the two builds:

- CL/FO is not a good choice unless you can twink your sorc. My CL/FO is fully twinked for PvM, and has been able to tank pretty much every monster she ran into (including all bosses) since level 1. Otherwise, she would have had to party up for faster leveling. Meteor/orb does not require good gear, has much less pain in terms of mana use, and is good in almost any game.

- CL is good for killing mobs, especially if you can tank the mobs. But meteor is much better for bosses, especially if you can tank big bosses. CL is useless against big bosses (L is good but kills slowly compared to Meteor). meteor can be used to take on any mobs (assuming they are not fire immunes).

- at levl 50, my 2nd SCL meteor sorc and my 1st SCL CL/FO sorc both tried to level up their Norm Defiance mercs in NM act1 in 4+ player public games. My meteor sorc killed through entire act1 using FO/FB and finished all 5 quests in just about 15-20 minutes - all done by herself with no real help from other players (they were way too slow). my CL sorc was powerful enough to do that in a shor time too (less than 1 hour), but was obviously slower as she used CL most of the time (1k+ by 9 shots = 10+K max dmg) and used FO only for tough bosses.

- I will never use the CL/FO sorc for rushing other chars in Hell. And I strongly doubt i would ever replace her merc's Insight with a better wpn other than a better insight wpn ;-).

HCTwinJava

Diabloii.Net Member
Big Mog said:
100 strength, from now on I will be pumping EVERYTHING into strength so i can get a Spirit Monarch at level 95.
my last SS-using javazon has 95 base str. my last SS-using sorc has only 75 base str. my earlier untwinked SS-using sorc has 126 (or 125) str. they all have well over 156 str with gear, they all use spirit.

Salsito

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm currently lvl 86 with my hardcore CL/FO sorc is she's kicking. I can handle about everthing on hell with up to 5 ppl in a game. The thing I like so much about this sorc is here amazing speed, you need some guts to play a sorc like this. If you're a control freak then don't even try :) The CL/FO sorc is build for high speed gaming, teleporting about every second, lightning and ice flashing across the screen.. Gives me a rush every time I play with here.

It's an expensive build though, you need to be highly twinked, I have 120% fcr, about +20 to lightning skills and +13 to cold skills, 1100 hp, 1200 mp etc..
It's not a sorc you can just build, it takes some time to collect the right equipment. But if you're up to it, it's a very effective, fast and fun sorc to play.