Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

meteorb or blizzard?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Hypnosx, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Hypnosx

Hypnosx IncGamers Member

meteorb or blizzard?

Hi, I'm returning to the game after several years and making a ladder character for the new season. I don't have any gear, I'm starting totally from scratch.

I've read the guides but I am not sure whether I should make a meteorb or blizzard sorc. Which one is less gear dependant? Which one is probably better for low gear MF runs to build some wealth?

Also, I'm planning on doing 156 str and rest in vit, thats the best plan right? I figure Spirit shield is the best/most affordable option I should shoot for and it doesn't look like its viable to max block with it.

2. OutdoorsDude

OutdoorsDude IncGamers Member

Re: meteorb or blizzard?

Max block with a spirit would be hard to do. It's up to you if you want to use a spirit shield, if you can get a fair amount of +str equipment it'd be really nice.

Anyway, I was in the same situation you're in. I went with a pure blizzard sorc and found it to be quite enjoyable. All through normal and nm this sorc rocked. Once I hit hell it got hard. I was still able to do the quests by teleing, pop the chest, grab the quest item and run-away.

For gear, I started out with nothing. MF, I just used 3 ptopaz'd helm, 4 ptopaz'd armor, a rhyme shield, spirit sword, some random magic stuff everywhere else. With all that and lvl 74 I'm still able to take down hell meph pretty easy as long as my merc tanks. I'm not rich by any means, but I have enough to get by.

I don't have any experience with a meteorb sorc, maybe someone here with one can chime in. I'd imagine a meteorb can take down enemies easier while a blizzard can take down the bosses easier.

3. Mimeaphone

Mimeaphone IncGamers Member

I'd choose between meteo/orb and blizballer, both are very versatile and don't require much equipment. I'm have a 85 blizballer who is running pindle/ eldrich/ countess in around 4-5 minutes and has little trouble doing any region of hell except for wsk (damn gloams and my 71 lightning resist). I've heard pure blizzs are able to kill meph faster but in my experience, getting to meph usually takes longer than killing him so I don't think you lose much by doing dual tree.

I basically started in the same situation as you and have done amazingly well completely untwinked as a Blizballer so I'd recommend that. O, and I went monarch/ vita too. In softcore, I don't think you lose much with no block and the 35 resists on spirit shields are much needed for untwinked chars (along with the other amazing bonuses).

4. OutdoorsDude

I'd agree with mimeaphone on the spirit shield. I went with almost pure vit, and the health is nice, but my resistances are total crap. Any of the 3 builds would what you need, and a blizballer and meteorb would definitely be more versatile.

5. BaQ

BaQ IncGamers Member

6. OutdoorsDude

Eilo and sasja's guides were both using meteor/fireball as their main attack (Eilo's more so) where supermatt had more of an emphasis on orb.

As far as stat points Eilo and supermatt goes the Vitality route, sasja goes for max block. I guess it depends on how you want to play and how wealthy you are.

7. endersbean

endersbean IncGamers Member

@ Mimeaphone: What skills/synergies did you use for the blizzballer? And which attack was your primary focus?

8. Mimeaphone

Mimeaphone IncGamers Member

My original build was:
    20 Glacial Spike
    20 Blizzard
    20 Fireball
    20 Meteor
    1 Cold Mastery
    1 Fire Mastery
    1 all prerequisites/ one-pt wonders

After finishing the core, every pt went into cold mastery. You generally want to aim for a level 17 cold mastery and I have a level 14 one with no skills on my ammy and no skillers/ anni/ torch/ lvl 86 so 17 is definately reachable "end-game." I just let +skills take care of my fire mastery needs.

For game play, blizzard where you think your merc will meet the pack and then spam fireball, swapping out skills if they are immune to cold/ fire. Against duals, take care of the pack then static and telekinesis if your merc needs help. I have no trouble in hell except against packs of monsters whose attacks come from way off screen and can pass through my merc/ kill my merc in seconds (boss ranged packs/ gloams :)).

9. AlabasterFilth

AlabasterFilth IncGamers Member

I would make a meteorb. Blizz sorc can run meph and andy a little bit faster than a meteorb sorc.

But what happens when you want to run other bosses? Worldstone Keep? What about when you want to start getting the Keys? Blizz sorc won't be able to do any of these at all with any reasonable efficiency.

However, a meteorb sorc can, and whereas a blizz sorc will 'top off' after a certain point with gear, a meteorb sorc will continually grow stronger with each +1 skills you have.

I just started my first char, a meteorb sorc, and untwinked with no helping gear, I am almost strong enough to do hell andy. You can run nm meph/nm andy until you get some resist gear, then jump into hell.

Blizz sorc is a little less gear dependent, but it's nothing a few nm meph runs can't balance out. As for low-gear MF running, they are both equal.

I think Spirit shield is the best option, but max block builds can go all the way through hell just like Spirit builds, so it really comes down to personal preference. You are right in that Spirit builds should NOT max block, as it will leave you with no points for vitality, and a sorc with no vitality is completely useless in hell.

10. -=Slaye]2=-

-=Slaye]2=- IncGamers Member

I don't like hybrid sorc builds when it comes to starting from scratch. Therefore I always invest in a pure Blizzard sorc. And I don't agree that Blizzard is only slightly faster than a Meteorb when it comes to killing Meph. There's a big difference when killing him with a Blizzard or Meteorb using the same gear setup. Blizzard doesn't need any +skills to be able to put down Meph relatively fast. Hybrids need imo too much +skills compared to single element to be fast killers.

11. Hypnosx

Hypnosx IncGamers Member

Well I decided to go blizzard, I'm lvl 40ish now and just starting nightmare. I do tons of damage but I run out of mana really fast because my gear is awful. Hopefully I'll be able to farm NM meph soon and get some drops.

I figure I'll stick with blizzard until I have some decent gear built up and then maybe roll a meteorb to use the better gear. Leveling is pretty fast anyways.

12. AlabasterFilth

AlabasterFilth IncGamers Member

My untwinked meteorb kills meph in about 10 seconds (tele in his face, static him, back off and cast orb about 4-5 times).

10 seconds is fast enough for any MF'er, and is only slightly slower than using blizzard. Considering that the majority of time spent during MF runs is spent getting to Meph, no, there isn't a big difference when using a meteorb sorc or a blizz sorc to run meph.