Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Meteorb - Max Block or Not?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Stax, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Stax

Stax IncGamers Member

Meteorb - Max Block or Not?

Should i go on max block whit my new meteorb?

i though on getting 1 point into energy shield (for sacrificig a little of fire dmg or cold mastery

im playing untwinked so idk,

thx

2. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

In PvM, Block and Vita both have their good points, and either will suit you well.

If you want to point a point in Energy Shield, I don't think it will affect your damage too much (I would choose to take the point from FM over CM).

Since you're playing untwinked, it might be hard figuring out a final shield, I would go Vita.

3. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

One point in e-shield must be acompanied by 20 points in Telekenisis. Meteorber's simply don't have enough points to spare, don't bother with E-shield.

Max block is a good thing though and I have to suggest that you deffinetly do it. However since you are untwinked it will require a lot of Dex once you reach higher levels since you don't have a high blocking shield. So once you reach higher levels you can tone it down a bit, maybe keep it at 65% chance to block. That way one day when you find a SS or Whistans you wont have wasted so many points in dex trying to get max blocking from your Rhymed Grim Shield.

-hps

4. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

- Energy Shield is a waste without a bunch of points in it and TK, IMO, unless you're willing to drink a blue potion every time you're hit by a monster in Hell. I found that to be too irritating.

- A lot of people favour some dexterity vs. max-vit, but I do not. I'm constantly running (even if I'm not teleporting, I still run to position my character often). When running, your block rate is 1/3 as effective (so the best block you can achieve is 25% when running). I'd rather be able to take a couple of hits.

- For untwinked, with a few Countess runs in NM you should be able to easily make a Rhyme shield. Ancient's Pledge is typically better than most store-bought magics too.

5. chillnkill

chillnkill IncGamers Member

I too am starting over with a completely untwinked Meterorb and am at lvl 63 right now. It's my experience that once I found a Whistens and went max block things improved greatly for me.

What I did was not add any points to energy or dex, enough strength to wear gear and about 50 points in vit. I saved everything else and made it to NM Meph without any real problems, but I was taking alot of damage and drinking alot of red potions. Then I found Whistens, dumped points in dex and my Sorc seems much stronger now. Of course,I have a tendancy to charge into battles so the block may help me more than others.

That said, I think it makes sense to keep your options open as long as you can and just save points. Afterall, who knows what you'll find or when you'll find it.

Btw, a tower shield with a base of 44% to block makes a great Ryhme shield for a while.

Now if a could just find some Armor, a decent orb, boots, gloves, belt, helm, ammy and 2 rings I'd be getting somewhere..LOL!...But...I do have a good shield!..hehe

6. Fists of Legend

Fists of Legend IncGamers Member

I have a max block meterorb that is just about 90. I use a Whistens which makes it really easy to keep at 75% block. It is nice to not take any damage when you see a mob swing at you.

However, I have found that it is rare that a mob takes a swing at me. Most of the damage I take comes from elementals. Of course I play somewhat cautious and don't get into places where a mob is close to me anyway. Because of this I wish I would have gone max vita.

If you like to run in and take chances you should go max block. Whistens isn't to hard to find so you could almost plan on using that as end game gear.

If you play a little cautious, hang back and let the merc find the mobs first, I would go max vita.

Just my 2 cents.

7. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I debated this for a long time with my first sorceress (a blizzballer, actually) and eventually decided on max block in Act 5 Nightmare. I had kept many stat points until then. She then used an up'd Vicertaunt. Once I gave the the dex to block, it was reassuring to hear those 'dings' on the shield.

My next sorceress (pure light) went max vit; I needed to use Spirit to get 117% fcr so block wasn't an option. She really feels a lot more solid.

My meterob went max vita - again fcr was a deciding factor, I needed spirit to hit 200%fcr. Solid? Oh yes. And because the cold tree is - to me - a bit weak, she needs to be able to stand a few hits. Which she does despite having 156 str and 75 dex for the Wizzy, so has less life than my light sorc. I will confess that she uses Arachs not TGods so elemental lightening (read: gloams) means she can get hit a bit harder that way.

It all comes down to play style and what gear you have available. If you are still at the MF stage and don't know what you will have, I would vote vita. Gives you more flexibility with gear and if you make a dodgy teleport, you're more likely to take a hit and live than not. Particularly if that damage is elemental.

For the record, apart from dodgy teleporting, my playstyle is from a distance. A different Act, preferably. And there is NOTHING wrong with saving stat/skill points. Really.

8. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

The only times you go with blocking on a sorc are:

1: PvP
    2: HC, if and only if you get to 1k life with investment in blocking.

crg

9. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

For ES, my policy is if you aren't going to be seriously investing in it, don't waste the points to get to it. A Memory staff isn't that hard to come by (you don't need a +3 ES one) and will let you test out if it will work for you without spending the skill points. My Orb/FBer used ES from memory, and it did help her survivability, but I generally treated her like a tank, so I didn't mind drinking the blue potions. I wouldn't go with ES (even from Memory) unless you go the max block route.

I'm in the max block camp. I've tried both, and I feel a lot safer with the max block. Again, I tend to run into packs of monsters. (Getting surrounded by monsters gets them all into Fireball's blast radius. :grin: ) It really comes down to personal choice on that one. Nightfish has an interesing argument for max block, you might want to do a search for his posts and see if you can find it.

10. IronCrown

IronCrown IncGamers Member

I made a restart as well and began with a meteorb too. She is lvl81 atm and basically max vita. Along the way she ran the bosses a lot and is at Hell Meph now. I love her with max vita. I play agressive too and tele into rooms and since I got a HF merc, all monsters are slowed down and seldom anybody gets close. The worst is the elemental attacks especially with low resists in Hell.

Even at this stage I wanted to keep my options open (she has 100 stats spare) but i tend to pump the vita every so often. She is a very powerful char and I cannot think of a time when i would have rather had max block.

Only my opinion.

IC

11. Llathias

Llathias Banned

To max block, or not to max block... That is the (eternal) question!

The thing is, neither gives you much. Hmm, maybe I should consider pumping Energy! :shocked:

12. Ugla

Ugla IncGamers Member

I take the blocking route with every 1h character, but I'll try to compare both attitudes, as usual :wink3:

On the first glance, maxed block deflects 3/4 of hits while the additional vitality gives you ~1/3 more life, which strongly favors blocking :thumbsup: Yet, any averaging is strongly speculative, especially in case, where 1-2 hits can easily finish you off :shocked: I must also add, that in both cases, a serious blow always brings you into hit recovery, which is the typical doom of an exposed sorcie.

The penalty for movement (block efficiency reduced to 1/3) is highly arguable, as you mostly take hits while casting (and thus standing). Note that various elemental attacks are unblockable.

As a conclusion, higher vitality is weaker, yet more universal and reliable protection. As the others already stated, it depends on the playstyle. If you often face the enemies in close combat, I'd vote for max block. But you can as well keep yourself safely behind with the meteorb, unlike some other builds. You might like to adjust your gear adequately (more FHR for a non-blocking char). Also consider some compromise, like 50% block and more life to help prevent instant death.

The ES is not a big issue in your case. As much as I appreciate this skill, I'd not place hard-points here. I imagine you need those elsewhere. Just look for some nice orb with ES. Going untwinked, you'll hardly have any better switch. Ideally, you will be able to find/buy +ES/+FA one.

I use the ES mainly to prevent the hit recovery. It can make the difference while running away, save you in some nasty situations. Be prepared to drink frequently, though. I hope the meteorb build is not too mana intensive to make this unbearable. Also don't forget about the Frozen Armor, it's a nice complementary skill, imo almost mandatory one.

Good Luck.
    Ugla

13. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Elemental damage can't be blocked with a shield. Only absorb will help.

14. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

Sure, why not?

Back on topic, I did forget to mention another quirk of my playstyle that is likely relevant. I used an Act 1 merc on my max block sorc, so I didn't have anything standing in front of me to take the blows. (My Vita sorc actually had an Act 2 moron. I like max block better. :grin: )