Meteorb Guide (2nd ed)

sasja

Diabloii.Net Member
Sessily said:
I have a question - would Chromatic Ire be sufficient for
the Weapon section? I didn't even see it in the development section and
it's the best I got - is it really that bad? :|
The Chromatic Ire has very good mods. The problem is that it's two handed, making you unable to hold a shield. Without blocking your sorceress will be much more frail - in effect taking 4 times as much damage as a max block sorceress (except from non-blockable attacks like Lightning and Meteor). As long as you're having no trouble staying alive, go ahead and enjoy it. But I think you'll have a better gaming experience with an orb with lesser mods and a good blocking shield.

Sessily

Diabloii.Net Member
I figured that was the reason. I have a +1 to Sorca skills and +3 to Frozen Orb on an Orb, and a PDiamon Visceanaut. I guess that'll work. The problem with that is of course I play untwinked (or for the most part, I play Single Plyayers)

Great guide btw, I was waiting for you to post it back up before I started working on my sorceress. ;) Been doing MF runs in the meantime.

Sessily

Diabloii.Net Member
Okay, I'm playing virtually untweaked, so would these items work for this build?

Helm - +1 Prismatic Sorceress Circlet
Amor - Skins of the Vipermagi
Boots - Threads of Cthon
Gloves - Frostburn
Belt - Tal Rasah's Fine Spun Cloth
Amulet - Tal Rasah's Adjucation
Weapon - +1 Skills, +3 Frozen Orb
Shield - viscernaut with PDiamond
Ring - +91 Mana, +10% Faster Cast
Ring - Dwarf Star/Raven Frost

endersdouble

Diabloii.Net Member
The guide looks great, I'm making one. My only question, why do you put a point into inferno/blaze/firewall? I don't see why u would use them.

Stosh the Overseer

Diabloii.Net Member
Hehe I think I fanilly found a little thing u forgotten ... putting glacial spike on left hot key with fire ball could be very usefull , especially for Lister's pals (for example), chill them while u kill him will save u while solo and make very thank full melee ers on party games . :D

My sorc (lvl87) is going very well, every where, at any time, solo or party, and is perfect for MF which is her reason of living .
Once again :
EXCELENT GUIDE !!!​

sasja

Diabloii.Net Member
Stosh the Overseer said:
Hehe I think I fanilly found a little thing u forgotten ... putting glacial spike on left hot key with fire ball could be very usefull , especially for Lister's pals (for example), chill them while u kill him will save u while solo and make very thank full melee ers on party games . :D

My sorc (lvl87) is going very well, every where, at any time, solo or party, and is perfect for MF which is her reason of living .
Once again :
EXCELENT GUIDE !!!​
Thank you - and good point! I'll be sure to include that.

Sessily

Diabloii.Net Member
I've planned out my Sorceress - she'll have 85 Strength / 215 Dexterity / 100 Vitality / 75 Energy. I'm afraid that that's too less Vitality, but I don't know how to compensate for it - should I decrease Dexterity? I need the Energy because I'm playing virtually untwinked. No uber equipment like the Oculus or Mara's or Arachnid etc. See my equpiment on the page before..

I'm not completely positive I'll be able to upgrade my Viscerataut, but if I can that'll reduce my Dex load by around 30, which could be added to Vitality.

Would this work? ANy suggestions sasja?

sasja

Diabloii.Net Member
Sessily said:
I've planned out my Sorceress - she'll have 85 Strength / 215 Dexterity / 100 Vitality / 75 Energy. I'm afraid that that's too less Vitality, but I don't know how to compensate for it - should I decrease Dexterity? I need the Energy because I'm playing virtually untwinked. No uber equipment like the Oculus or Mara's or Arachnid etc. See my equpiment on the page before..

I'm not completely positive I'll be able to upgrade my Viscerataut, but if I can that'll reduce my Dex load by around 30, which could be added to Vitality.

Would this work? ANy suggestions sasja?
Your equipment looks very good - I'd not call this untwinked. Sorry for not commenting on it before.

What level is this? It looks like level 77 (you've got 85+215+100+75 = 475 stat points distributed, 15 of which come from the Lam Essan quest, and 10+25+10+35 = 80 you've got from the start, so you've distributed 380 points from levelling which you will have gained after 76 level-ups). I think your equipment gives you enough +mana to keep energy at base - frosties alone would make me refrain from spending points in energy. That would give you 40 extra points in vit. If you can't upgrade your Visceratuant, I think I'd chose a better blocking shield instead - Whitstan's Guard or even Sigon's. Having less than maxed block is not a good idea, as the later percentages are so much more effective than the first. Raising your block from 10% to 15% will mean 6% less damage - raising your block from 70% to 75% means 17% less damage.

I think you'll do very well :)

Sessily

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the reply.. I overlooked the fact that Tal Rasha's Fine Spun Cloth gives 20 dexterity, meaning I can allocate a few more points into Vitality. Out of curiosity, how much did yours end up with? :)

I already raised energy to 75 however, I'm afraid that if I die I won't have any energy to use Teleport or any of my offensive skills to get my corpse back.

Anyway, great guide, thanks for all the help! :)

PhoenixPhlame73

Diabloii.Net Member
Forgive my ignorance, as I reallly don't know to much about the mechanics, but assuming I could get any of those, should I really try for stormshiled? It's strength requirement seems prohibitive, or is that not really an issue?

sasja

Diabloii.Net Member
Sessily said:
Thanks for the reply.. I overlooked the fact that Tal Rasha's Fine Spun Cloth gives 20 dexterity, meaning I can allocate a few more points into Vitality. Out of curiosity, how much did yours end up with? :)

I already raised energy to 75 however, I'm afraid that if I die I won't have any energy to use Teleport or any of my offensive skills to get my corpse back.

Anyway, great guide, thanks for all the help! :)
I've got 135 in vitality, so I have some life charms and shako help me out. I put the points in energy, too - which I regret now, but as this was my first ladder char I was totally untwinked.
PhoenixPhlame73 said:
Forgive my ignorance, as I reallly don't know to much about the mechanics, but assuming I could get any of those, should I really try for stormshiled? It's strength requirement seems prohibitive, or is that not really an issue?
Yes, it's an issue. Stormshield is a very expensive investment, but I think it's worth it for the highest damage reduction on any item in the game (giving you almost max with shako), good blocking and resistance. It really depends on your playing style. I like to play quite agressively, so tanking is important for me. No shield can match Stormshield for that. If you're used to hanging back and teleport/run around to avoid arrows, you may not see what the big deal with Stormshield is. It's up to you, really.

Sim.The.GoSu

Diabloii.Net Member
I am saving a Meteorb'r for next season ladder, so logically she'll be untwinked. Now say I want Max block, High Vita, no Mana Sorc. Should I place 200 in dex right away? or should I only put 120~ in dex, ~100 in Str, ~10-20 in NRG, and put like ~150 in vita? And rest I save? Would that be a wise decision?

BTW, I made her on SP and jolly, she owns.. Espacially in PvP.

geep

Diabloii.Net Member
Wow!

Ive been playing d2 for about 2 1/2 years ... and this is 1 of the best / most detailed builds i have ever seen .. Very nice

sasja

Diabloii.Net Member
Sim.The.GoSu said:
I am saving a Meteorb'r for next season ladder, so logically she'll be untwinked. Now say I want Max block, High Vita, no Mana Sorc. Should I place 200 in dex right away? or should I only put 120~ in dex, ~100 in Str, ~10-20 in NRG, and put like ~150 in vita? And rest I save? Would that be a wise decision?

BTW, I made her on SP and jolly, she owns.. Espacially in PvP.
When playing untwinked, I think the wisest course is to adapt your stat points to your items, while bearing in mind your choice setup (if you plan on mf'ing and not rebuilding after you find your Stormshield etc.). So I'd say, put the points in strength as you need it for the items you find (never more than 156 or whatever you need to wear your end game gear) and dex as you need it for max block (again, never more than you'll need at your end level for max block with your chosen shield). Put as few points as possible in energy, and balance the rest between vita and a small statpoints pool which you can spend in str or dex as you need for new items.

I've never been much into PvP, so it's good to hear that she works out even there. I can imagine, though, that you probably use Fire Balls much more than Meteor, so redesigning her for PvP could involve maxing Fire Bolt instead of Meteor, thus saving four points in the fire tree which you could drop into Cold Mastery to make your FO hit harder.
PhoenixPhlame73 said:
Making a meteorb for mf, can I expect to get much/any dexterity and/or strength points from items?
Shako gives +2 to all stats, War Traveller gives +10 str (Cow King's boots has +20 dex), Tal Rasha's belt has +20 dex, Mara's has +5 to all stats (though having no mf this amulet will help you out with both res and skills) and if you're very rich, Enigma has a huge str boost.
geep said:
Ive been playing d2 for about 2 1/2 years ... and this is 1 of the best / most detailed builds i have ever seen .. Very nice
Thanks - that's so nice to hear :)

couio

Diabloii.Net Member
Soloing large Baal runs and CM

I'm currently building Meteororb sorcy (mostly) for Baal running (including killing most WS monsters) after being disappointed in my CL/Orb sorc. First I made a mistake calculating my FCR (Tal ammy gives 10% with 4 items, not 3, which meant I couldn't reach the 70% breakpoint), and then I simply did not have enough +skills (8 total) to make CL effective. But with lvl 27 CM, I could kill anything not cold immune fairly well, it’s the cold immunes that were a problem (took long in single player games, unthinkable in larger.) Now I want to Baal run for both items and exp. Yes, those are the two reasons to Baal run, but I find your position on running in public games for solely exp and then redoing the same runs for items weird. I want to get both from my own runs, is that really too much to ask? I think not, and want to solo fairly large games (maybe not 8, but at least 4) to that effect (and drops from WS ARE much better in larger games... I'm not going to tele to Baal.) And are you sure drops from Bosses are not better in larger games? May be all luck and bad luck, but my experiance seems to contradict this. Now FO is a very strong spell, even unsynergised, when you control it well (being a litle too close or too far can give you 10 times less damage...) So I say to hell, I'm going to go for a -150% res CM (19 points for me) and see how it goes. I'm sure it'll make a pretty good dual elemental sorcy (insteed of a fire sorc with a backup skill ;-0 ) I'll see how it turns out anyway, but I find it weird that the author says it's a bad idea and better to waste half our mfing time doing the exact same thing but for exp only... and I have a bet with a friend: first to get to lvl 99, so I'll be needing lots of them ;-)

That said, very good guide, thanks a lot!

Sessily

Diabloii.Net Member
The main reason is that with MF gear you will be unable to maneuver effectively through a very high level area. With only base energy it will be incredibly difficult to kill every enemy in the area without drinking tons of blue pots and returning to Malah.

Also, I've been playing this Sorc through Hell at /players 8 and level 27 CM is definitely not needed, the points needed to pump it will just not compensate for the loss of points in the fire tree. You'll be decent with cold, but your fire damage will suffer tremendously.

More players in game will increase the drops of normal monsters, obviously, but will only tweak the boss drops by a very marginal amount. You'll be better doing that same run 4x faster than getting one extra item from a boss.

couio

Diabloii.Net Member
Well obviously I'm not going to go all-out MF, but settle for a compromise (435-475 depending on whether I'll be using Chancies or Frosties.) I might get this a bit higher with more mfscs and a mf ring (see below), or even a bit lower if I go for fire skillers to compensate...

Code:
 Item                MF        Res            skill    FCR     DR

Shako (P Topaz)      74                         2              10
Occy (Ist)           80        20/20/20/20      3       30
Stormshield (Um)               22/**/47/22                     35
Tal Armor (P Topaz)  112       40/40/40/00              10
Tal Ammy             65        00/00/33/00      2
Tal belt             14                                 10
Chancies             40
Raven Frost			   20% ABSB
Second Ring ??
Aldur's Advance                46/00/00/00
Charms               90        16/10/10/10      1

Total:               475%      75/85*/75/-18     8       50     45

Alt : Twisted Ali (+- 70) with Rhyme (25) = 570% MF
* Equivalent with Raven Frost
This is all stuff I have btw. Now for the second ring I'm hoping for a Wisp (light absorb for those damned souls that can be hell even with maxed resists, Oak Sage charges AND mf, very godly... and rare :grrr: ) or Soj, but in the meantime I'll try various rings out and see what works better: Nagel, +115 mana +12 dex, Dwarf Star, etc. or try to craft a decent one.

Now the skill planner says 10 less points (3 in FM, 7 in FB) means a bit less than 1.5k on my fireball and a bit more than 2k on my meteor... yes it's a bad hit, but it's not the 50% increase I'll get on the damned Minions of Destruction from CM... and 3 skillers would get that damage back on meteor and almost on fireball... Then again, by Glacial Spiking them I can take a bit more time to kill them and it won't matter that much, but they are far from the only cold resistant monsters in WS... but I can kill them with fire of course. Ok, I'm still not sure, I'll try it out at -100% and see how it goes...

couio

Diabloii.Net Member
Energy

Oh yeah for the energy part, as you might have understood, I'm ready to sacrifice MF and go for Frosties and/or a +mana ring if need be, and with putting points in CM I was hoping to use FO more against monsters as it's less mana intensive (and it's alos fun to use.) But yes, I'm going for base energy, str for equip, max block and rest in vita...