Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Meteor vs. Hydra

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Grobyc, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Grobyc

Grobyc IncGamers Member

Meteor vs. Hydra

I started a sorceress yesterday and started pumping Firebolt to give synergy to Hydra. But then the more I thought about it, the less it made sense to use Hydra for Mephisto runs. The plan was to cast Hydra and spam Fireballs but because it takes a very long time to cast all the Hydras and my merc could only survive for so long, it didn't make sense. So I thought about Meteor synergized with Firebolt, Fireball, and Fire Mastery instead.

So my question is, would Meteor be better than Hydra for Mephisto runs?

2. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

That depends on how well you can play, meteor is a really large damage skill, while hydras are a lower damage multiple hit skill. I tend to think that smaller more repeated hits give more damage overall, though others think that meteorb sorceresses are the only good build to play. Hydras are the uncommon if you want to be special use hydras, if you want to be a girlscout cookie thin mint go meteor.

3. Grumpy Old Wizard

Grumpy Old Wizard IncGamers Member

Hydras are slower but safer. If you have to play at breakneck speed go meteor-orb and spam fireballs. If you are hardcore hydra is great because of the safety factor and they can kill pretty fast synergized. Why not try both? Playing the same one everytime can get boring. I like to use lots of characters to MF because you have to play each on differently.

GOW

4. Grobyc

Grobyc IncGamers Member

Hydra being slower than Meteor is pretty obvious I think which is what made me think that Meteor may be better off. Also, I'm planning to fully synergize Meteor (aside from Inferno) which will take up 80 points (this will also be the case for Hydra). Since they take up the same amount of points, and I'm more of a single element kind of guy and I'm going to be doing Mephisto runs (so resistance is not a factor), Meteor just seems better because of the shorter damage over a short period of time and it gives synergy to Fireball as well (which I would be spamming while the spell is cooling down).

Although I do agree that Hydra is more for the safe players, that is more for the actual game play and when you factor in for Mephisto runs, it's actually pretty slow. I'm just wondering if there are any good reasons to use Hydra for Meph runs.

Also, for those who are wondering, I am planning to use a merc to tank Meph for a while making either of the spells land hits easier.

5. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

I have a Hydra/Orb sorc I use for Mephisto runs, and I'll say right now that I would not want to use her without orb. Then again, I am not a "single-tree kind of guy," because I don't like waking Mafer up when he is immune to my only attack. I like my sorcy, but if I were picking a single tree build, it would be blizzard. If it had to be fire, it would be meteor.

6. AscendantOne

AscendantOne IncGamers Member

I have a tri-sorc with only hydra maxed and about 15 in fire mastery with ful tal's and I can do Meph in Hell in about 2 mins using only Hydra, and a lower resist Wand. Safe and Fun. And i'm probably the only non-meteor sorc out there :)

7. Jek

Jek IncGamers Member

Lies. We are some crazy CB/Hydra sorcs. :p