Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Meteor or Fireball

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by MasterMegatron, May 2, 2005.

1. MasterMegatron

MasterMegatron IncGamers Member

Meteor or Fireball

Which is better for MF sorc in hell mode? thanks.

2. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Meteors do have higher damage making them more effective, but the meteors are also harder to aim with their delay than fireballs.
    Try meteor. There are good guides to be found in the guide thread...

3. darzog

darzog IncGamers Member

Well, why do you have to choose just one? The three best combos out there use both:

Pure Fire - Max Fireball, Meteor, Fire Mastery, Firebolt
    Meteorb - Max Fireball, Meteor, Fire Mastery, Frozen Orb
    BlizzBaller - can't remember what exactly you max (read the guide) but you have both Meteor and Fireball at your disposal.

When using sorcs with fire, I usually lay a meteor down, then spam fireballs until meteor can cast again.

4. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

yeah depending on your fcr, you can squeeze in 1-2 fireballs between meteors.

5. wookie919

wookie919 IncGamers Member

Which area are you planning to MF in?

I find that I use Fireball more than Meteor in most cases.

6. jmorocks

jmorocks IncGamers Member

i myself have a meteorb, and i didn't like meteor very much because the cast delay was too slow. in hell, you don't have time to wait for meteor to drop when you have fast running monsters chasing you, and letting a merc tank for you does not always work because some monsters actually ignore it or it gets killed or something.

luckily i had fireball as a synergy for meteor, and spamming it was way better at saving my life.

still you can have both spells at your disposal, but i say leaning towards fireball is much better. best way is to max fireball and firebolt/meteor for synergies and 1 pt fire mastery, since it adds less damage to fireball than the synergies. you can add to FM later if you want more damage, but 1 pt will at least net you +skills, while +skills doesn't work with synergies, requiring "hard" points.

i use the full tal's set so the -15% fire resistance of monsters is even more useful.

7. darzog

darzog IncGamers Member

This statement is misleading. While the text says that Firebolt adds 14% damage to Fireball and FM says it increases damage by 7%, FM is actually more effective. The reason is the 14% bonus from synergies applies to the base damage from Fireball skill alone (but they stack together) while FM is a bonus for the overall damage including synergies.

For example, let's say your Fireball damage without synergies is 1k. Now let's say you only have synergies for 200%, your new damage is 3k (1K + 200%). Now let's say you spend 1 point in FM, it adds 7% of 3k damage or 210, but adding 1 point in Firebolt adds 14% of only 1K since it is based on the base Fireball damage, which is only 140 dmage.

You can use this link to test it out for yourself:
    http://www.d2items.com/skills.php

I tried it with Maxed Fireball and Meteor:
    Maxed FM, 1 pt in Fireball: 2067 - 2347 damage
    Maxed Fireball, 1 pt in FM: 1711 - 1943 damage

The only thing to keep in mind is that with enough +skills items this can balance out, so the best way to handle it is to check your +skills and uise the calculator. But depending on your MF gear you may not have enough +Skills to overbalance.

8. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

Darzog is right about the math, but imho the best calc for a sorc is: http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e9325732/skillcalc because it can find you the optimal synergy-mastery proportion with a given number of points to spend.

I have a meteorb mf-er as well, with both FB and meteor maxed, and also some points into Fbolt and mastery (i dont use bolt but after getting some points into mastery it is better to raise the synergy for FB, and almost the same for Meteor, see the above calc for details).
    Generally speaking Meteor is nice when you have some ways of holding the enemies in one place, mostly a strong merc. The afterburn damage is considerable at high levels, so non-fire immunes attracted by my merc die pretty quickly when i use it.
    I run Meph, WSK, Pindle (rarely), pit, mausoleum, ancient tunnels and countess. Vs Meph if you use the moat trick meteor is your killer (lacking blizzard that is), when i dont abuse this tactic i just use orbs, both works.
    Vs pindle and in the lev85 areas i almost always use FBall (unless fire immunes show up of course) since it is fast, can halt enemies and pretty effective if you can support it mana wise. Same goes for WSK2-3. As for the throne i really like meteor (except against the last pack who are all immune). They all appear in one big pack so, a single meteor can damage every foe if you are lucky, and you can start casting even before they'd show up, which puts you at an advantage. As for other bosses (Andy or Baal) if my merc holds them in one place i do the meteor-fb-fb-meteor chains taking advantage of being able to cast balls while meteor's delay lasts.

9. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Well let's see with Trangs gloves, and belt on you get slvl 18 fireball which can be synergized with moonfall a rare ring and then boosted by hexfire, and +8 all skills from armor, helm, amulet and rings. that makes it ~1100-1200 damage without fire facets.

Compared to the meteor which requires all 4 trangs set gloves, belt, armor, and helm. which leaves a rare ring, 2 hexfires, an amulet and 2 rings for +10 extra skills so slvl 20 meteor so ~1000-1100 damage without fire facets.

*... oh wait this is a sorceress not a barbarian.*

Ahem, let me start over.

It really doesn't matter which way you go, What I mean by this is everyone has their own playstyle and both the fireball and meteor sorceress are viable and able to deal the rather large damage you want out of a MFer like her.

You should use a skill planner to figure out your build but also play with the skills yourself to find out which one best suits you. Over the past year or so I have been playing some rather odd builds one of which is the magi barb, that uses firewall, fireball, and poison to kill. Kind of a wierd build but quite fun to play around with. The key is being happy with how you use your skills, some skills like meteor and blizzard don't appeal to some players where as other skills like lightning or fireball would, its really a player style issue than damage/effiency issue.

@darzog you can not post to that link, its on a item selling site and in compitition with this site thus against the rules. Expect that link to be deleted.

10. darzog

darzog IncGamers Member

Doh, never even paid attention to the base site. I only looked at the calc. I'd delete if I could but editing is expired.

11. jmorocks

jmorocks IncGamers Member

I rechecked Sasja's Meteorb guide and I forgot that lots of +skills is required for firebolt to gain on fire mastery. Sorry for the misleading info =/