Meteor facts & bull

Speedster

Diabloii.Net Member
Meteor facts & bull

I know I asked for it playing in public bnet games, but I'm getting sick of hearing this:

"Stop meteor or leave the game."

I'm playing a lvl 97 meteor-orb sorc and have been for a while (should be lvl 98 soon). When I ask why, if I don't get flamed, I get something about lag, or something about being a leech. I played the last ladder on dial-up, up to lvl 95, also using meteor, and frankly the lag wasn't as bad then as it is now. I also had an older PC last year. As far as leeching, I don't see how meteor helps me at all, considering it does zero damage to the minions, and I'm in the party anyway sharing xp. If anything, my 31K meteor is probably speeding up the baal runs a bit.

So, if I'm in the party, and don't try to "top" by soloing Baal, am I reducing someone else's xp gain?

Is the meteor animation, which was created back in 1999 or something, going to hang up a Pentium PC? Or the server?

I got so fed up one game, playing with a bunch of lvl 75-85 players who griped about meteor, that I just stood there in the middle of the room and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited while they tried to kill the last 3 waves. Then I just got tired and left.

DID meteor leech xp at some point? Was it fixed?
:soapbox:

ppz

Diabloii.Net Member
AFAIK, all rumor through and through.

The only reasonable basis I have ever heard is the minor XP boost the killing member of the party gets for a monster kill. Since the fire from your meteors has a good chance of getting the last hit in (for the non fire immunes), you may be "leaching" from everyone else who couldn't kill the monsters anyways. Either way, I'd keep spamming meteors.

Evrae Altana

Diabloii.Net Member
As far as the lag goes, I've never experienced lag from it. Besides, if Meteor could cause that much strain on a server, you would think every other spell would be the same.

FistOfFury

Diabloii.Net Member
LOL, I love it when people whine about the skills I use because theirs isn't as good or because their computer can't handle the game. You know, not doing a curse or something is one thing, but complaining about skeles, and now meteor, is just unreasonable. Why should I stop my playing style that I made my character to play with just because it doesn't conform to what someone else wants? So you just want me to sit there and stare at you because you don't like my skele or meteor? What a bunch of bull crap... Just shrug them off and go to the next game, or stay and use the skill to piss them off.

Zukarius

Diabloii.Net Member
People should be thankful that you are doing baal runs. I am fortunate to have 2 pcs one older p3 and a newer one. The older one lags a lot and I usually only use that one for leveling and use the newer one for baaling and what not. People should grow up!

DaemonAkuma

Diabloii.Net Member
People complain. Period. Over everything. One simply has to discover the origin of their complaints...i.e. they're too weak to kill and thus get the extra exp, or thier computer sucks and can't keep up. Both are their own responsbility.

In fact, I've had dozens of people personaly flame me for using a summoner necro, claiming that "I suck, it's just my minions that kill." Duh. Just like they suck withoit items/charms/armor and weapons. Duh....

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
AFAIK, all rumor through and through.

The only reasonable basis I have ever heard is the minor XP boost the killing member of the party gets for a monster kill. Since the fire from your meteors has a good chance of getting the last hit in (for the non fire immunes), you may be "leaching" from everyone else who couldn't kill the monsters anyways. Either way, I'd keep spamming meteors.
Problem with this is that there is no bonus for you killing them. The person who gets the kill gets just as much exp as everyone there with them. The only difference is that their merc gets exp as well, but that doesn't detract from the party's exp IIRC.

ppz

Diabloii.Net Member
Problem with this is that there is no bonus for you killing them. The person who gets the kill gets just as much exp as everyone there with them. The only difference is that their merc gets exp as well, but that doesn't detract from the party's exp IIRC.
Thanks for the clarification. That's probably still enough for ppl to complain, unfortunately.

Kijya

Diabloii.Net Member
course meteor leeches, hammers do too, didn't you know?

sqeulch ftw, in general they're not even worth bothering about, if you're feeling friendy you could even tell them that you squelched them. :cloud9:

Phalmos

Diabloii.Net Member
*sigh* I also play a meteorb, and baalrun frequently. I've had the "Meteorz r leeching nooblet!" response. So I just push squelch :).

Speedster

Diabloii.Net Member
*sigh* I also play a meteorb, and baalrun frequently. I've had the "Meteorz r leeching nooblet!" response. So I just push squelch :).
Yeah, I just wanted to make sure I had the facts. I think my level (97) helps with the 'noob' snubs. I'm waiting for someone to tell me meteor interferes with the precision aiming of their hammers...

Gorny

Banned
Yeah, I just wanted to make sure I had the facts. I think my level (97) helps with the 'noob' snubs. I'm waiting for someone to tell me meteor interferes with the precision aiming of their hammers...

Just remember, 99% of what people say on public Battle.net is rumor or false info.

seralph

Diabloii.Net Member
Fact is there are people, one out of thousands, with old pc's which may lag because of meteor or summons. Why they have to flame people instead of staying back and use some party suport skills like aurae, os, ce, bo and many mores, is for me an enigma.

As Quietus said it has no impact on the exp gained wheter you kill them or someone else. The merc's exp is calculated diffrent so I'am almost sure it has no impact as well.

Melee chars may have a problem with this skills since they may make it up to near impossible to hit a target which is dangerous. I wasen't aware of this untill I played hc.
In a good party there are enough tank's (mercs/players) without any summons and the killspeed is sometimes better than with summons. In this case you can politely ask the necro to unsummon his creatures imo. A single meteor sorc is in my experince no harm, but if someone only makes a few dmg (some reasons: low lvl, no +skills, no -fres) it's better to not use meteor, since it can slow a party down.
There are a lot of other skills which slow down a party in some situation and the same should aplay for those skills.

Last and most important is the rule: the one who host a game is the one which has the right to decide everything finaly. Open strategic discussions are most often welcome.

If some people come up with some sentences I am glad to know now that this are some of the sort I don't want to play with anyway.

GotFriana

Diabloii.Net Member
Melee chars may have a problem with this skills since they may make it up to near impossible to hit a target which is dangerous. I wasen't aware of this untill I played hc.
In a good party there are enough tank's (mercs/players) without any summons and the killspeed is sometimes better than with summons. In this case you can politely ask the necro to unsummon his creatures imo. A single meteor sorc is in my experince no harm, but if someone only makes a few dmg (some reasons: low lvl, no +skills, no -fres) it's better to not use meteor, since it can slow a party down.
There are a lot of other skills which slow down a party in some situation and the same should aplay for those skills.
Now my turn to make a noob question: how does meteor make things impossible to kill for melee chars or meteor/summoneds slow a party down?

Edit: I can understand a big number of summoneds can be annoying and very confusing making it harder to distinguish between friends n foes maybe you are refering to that?

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Meteor leech? What on earth are they talking about?

You know, not doing a curse or something is one thing, but complaining about skeles, and now meteor, is just unreasonable.
I thought skele lag was real... before 1.10 anyway. I think it's mild now because skelemancers have far fewer skellies.