Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Metaquestion - are some classes pointless?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Immortal Cocacola, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Immortal Cocacola

Immortal Cocacola Diabloii.Net Member

By that, I mean solely efficiency-wise, and in a closed battle.net - highly competitive - environment.

It seems like some classes are just, overall, better than others - Sorceresses are almost always the best ladder starter for their MF capabilities and Teleport, Paladins are the best Enigma-wearers and CS/Baalrunners, and they also make great Smiters for Ubers, Necromancers are super-safe for HC purposes.

There are some outliers, but they seem kinda inferior. Javazon builds seem to have a niche in Cow leveling, but you might as well make a Lightning sorc. Assassins are great fun and versatile, but again, they don't exactly fill a specific, unique niche. Barbarians have BO, great CC, can be used for horking, and have a lot of playstyles, but they still require gear and don't seem so great. Druids also don't really have any unique area that would make them a must-have ladder character.

Again, this is just speculative.

What are your thoughts?

2. Valeli

Valeli Diabloii.Net Member

I think the answer to this is a pretty safe "yes", if you're coming it at from a "highly competitive must race etc whatever" perspective. Classes/builds with inherent multiple sources of elemental damage work much better than physical builds (until those can get decent gear, at least).

If I was trying to seriously race to the top of a ladder or something, I certainly wouldn't start with a physical / mostly physical class.

Now, to be fair, most classes do have some options for builds that would get them through without 100% reliance on a super weapon/armor. But a lot of those are sort of tedious (what was that barb skill that some frenzy barbs pick up for phys immune.... berserk?) or not as efficient as alternatives in other classes (frost zealot vs. some fancy sorceress build).

I don't view this as a serious game flaw, perhaps because I've never stressed over rushing ladders. I do wish physical builds were a /little/ less dependent on their weapons though, but oh well.