Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mercy's Warcry Barb Guide

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Mercy, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Mercy

Mercy IncGamers Member

Mercy's Warcry Barb Guide

Alright this is my first guide, its quite intresting.

Mercy's Warcry Barbarian Guide

You'll Make Them Cry Alright!

Alright this is the breakdown of sections for the guide:

Why play a warcry barb?
    Advantages//Disadvantages
    Items
    Skills and Stats
    Socketing Your Items
    Your Ideal Inventory
    Strategy
    Things You Didnt Know
    Warnings
    Special Thanks

=====================================================

Why Play A Warcry Barb?

Are you one of those people in public games, who saw a warcry barb? Did you cuss him out, because he chose to play one of the most underated and fun chars?
    Well, I am one of those players who chose to make a warcry barbarian regardless of how he turned out. I must say i was very surprised to see that i was actually a competitor in private, and public duels.
    If you have been intrested in a warcry barb, but have not been willing to take the risk, here are some things that can maybe sway your opinion. Besides a warcry barb, what character recieves great comments in every game you enter? Let's say you happen to kill someone in a public dueling game, like a fireball sorc. The FB sorc will be so angry and feel so bad, because a simple underated warcry barb killed him. This is a character which you are respected, upon killing in dueling games. Not many characters have the ability to play with a persons mind, and make them feel flat out stupid because they lost to an underated, unique character.

========================================================

Advantages and Disadvantages

Basically the advantages of a warcry barb:
    Huge Life
    Massive Massive Resistances
    Stun
    Huge Cast Rate

The disadvantages of a warcry barb:
    High Mana Costs
    No Shield
    Low Damage

========================================================

Items
    Everything with an astric(*) beside it is the recommended item, of the choices i list.

Helms:

Harlequin Crest Shako*
    Arreats Face
    Valkirye Wing(.8 version)

Armor:

Breast Plate Enigma(only real armor that works. It must be breast plate!)

Weapons:

2x Wiz Spike*
    2x Heart of The Oak(perf res)
    2x Suicide Branch
    2x Warcry spears*( on switch for casting BO)

Amulet:

Gale Shell*
    Imp Brow
    Armageddon Fletch

Boots:

Soul Spurs*
    Grim Spurs
    Marrowalks
    Aldurs Advance

Belts:

Thundergods Vigor*
    Arachnid Mesh
    Verndugos Hearty Coil

Gloves:

Trang Ouls Gloves*
    Magefists

Rings:

2x Soj*
    1x raven and 1x SoJ

That basically covers the item segment of this guide. The reason why breast plate enigma is needed, is because it needs 30 str to use. If you use annihilus to tweak your str to reach the str demand, you generally will require no points in strength to use all your gear. Dual wizspike is recommended because it will cost an average of 50 mana per warcry, so the mana is highly needed.

=========================================================

Skills And Stats

For skill breakdown its basically like this:
    Battle Orders:20 points
    Warcry:20 points
    Then max as many synergies as you can for the skill "Warcry"

Stats breakdown is like this:
    Str: 0
    Dex: As much as it takes to use your weapon choice
    Vit: The rest!
    Energy:0

==========================================================

Socketing Your Items

When socketing your items you have a few choices. If you want massive life you can socket everything with io runes. If you want good fhr socket a shael rune in your helm, and fhr jewels in your weps(if you choose wiz spikes). If you feel you need more energy, socket wiht lum runes. If melee chars are smoking you bad, socket with ber runes here and there. You can mix and match what you like, all of them are ideal choices.

Your Ideal Inventory

10x Warcry charms(preffered mods on them, life//fhr)
    9x 5%fhr sc's or 20 life or 20 mana
    1x annihilus

==========================================================

Stratedgy

Here is teh stradegies that i basically use for each type of char:

Casters

On any type of caster, its probably ideal to tele around them, launch a warcry or two. They will be casting at you like crazy because your a warcry barb, supposed to be an easy target, they think one shot can kill you. If you follow the gear reccomendations i gave you, you will have 5k+life, and 200+ stacked res. If they hit you, your fine you can actually tank most casters. By the time they cast their spell over and over, they will be burned for mana. This is your chance to tele in, and spam warcry as much as you can. Most public duelign characters dont have much faster hit recovery, so they wont be able to move or tele away. Cake.

Melee Chars

A melee char will generally chase you, thus as they run behind you, you spam a warcry. This is the hardest type of char for a warcry barb to fight, simply because they can kill you so fast, because you dont have a shield. Keep your distance, and plan your cries well.

Things You Didnt Know

Warcry is counted as physical damage, therefore any character you duel with high high damage reduction, your cries will not really effect them that much.

Faster Hit Recovery, is probably one of the best ways a char can counter you. If they have lots of FHR, try the stratedgy for a melee char i listed.

Any character that uses a lidless wall for a shield, you can kill 9 times out of 10. With low damage reduced you can smoke them in id say 3-8 crys. Usually any type of sorc that uses lidless wall, is very easy.

A necros bone armor, stops warcry damage from getting to them. You must first kill the shield, and then your warcrys will start hurting them. Be warned you will be hurting for mana while dueling necros with a high lvl of bone armor.

Warnings

This is a char that requires lots of talent, practice and dedication. You will not grasp this char after 5 minutes of dueling. I have been playing the warcry barb for about a month, and i still have not perfected the methods of dueling with him. Some characters, you will just not be able to kill, no matter how hard you try. This is a char that is supposed to lose. So remember that, dont get all huffy puffy when you lose, chill its underated, and its meant for fun.

Special Thanks

Id really like to say thanks to my friend Kate. She got me started playing the warcry barb, and taught me alot about it. Thanks Kate! :cool:

I have posted this guide on another Diablo2 forum site. I did not jack this guide from anyone, I wrote it myself.

2. Stahejinn

Stahejinn IncGamers Member

Can you tell about your barb? I know its possible to do but I've never seen one that used it as a killing skill

3. Mercy

Mercy IncGamers Member

Basically, everything that i (*), is what i use. My barb has base str, enough dex to use wiz spike and the rest in vitality. I use 10x warcry charms with various mods, anny, and then vita charms with various res. He has about 5k+ life 200 stacked res and 1700 mana.

4. Left Arm

Left Arm Banned

a disgrace to warcry barbs

no shield. dead..

that health is low

goes in to the whole warcry-barb-must-use-two weapon nonesense. who said u had to use 2x caster weapons to reach 105...

dam man even some guys shadow master is going to kick ur ***.

ur strategy section is pretty deficient, no leap strategy, played like a wind druid just tele up to ppl and spam...... all u did was create a stronger spammer then the other guy. the only thing that your warcry barb is going to beat is crappy sorcs with bad health/no stormshield, crappy necros who dont cast bone armor.

why the heck are u using trang oul gloves anyway... 25 mana regen > +2 curses.

*blobs for a duel. i hope your on west.

5. Mercy

Mercy IncGamers Member

How much health should i have? I already put all my points into vitality, and tweaked with annihilus. Any gear suggestions?

It costs 50 mana per warcry. Can you please tell me how you would achieve maximum mana, and what gear to use so i can get 105%fcr, 1700 mana, and still use a shield?

I havnt died to a shadow master yet. You must be fighting some godly ones tho, wish i could fight the war with ya.

Honest to god, why would i leap? Its slow and teh target is gone by the time the leap is complete. I wear an item called "Enigma", upon wearing the item "Enigma" i am granted the skill "Teleport". If you ask me teleport is much more faster and efficient than leap. But i dont know since my guide in your eyes is a PIECE OF ****.

Maybe i dont wear trangs for the +2curses, i am not stupid barbs dont ahve curses. I wear them for the cold res, so cold sorcs cold mastery doesnt effect me.

Here are a few reasons why we are not goign to duel. Reason#1 I play east.
    Reason #2, if i wanted to duel you, i could just go into a public dueling game, pick out a guy who cusses alot, and doesnt have an open mind, and who cannot accept the fact that WARCRY BARBARIANS ARE MEANT FOR FUN.

Oh and i love the warm welcome i got.

Dii.net is my favourite place, i feel loved :surprise:

6. Left Arm

Left Arm Banned

u know theres 3) stages of d2 playing...

1) noobhood
    2) where u learn what a "breakpoint" is and think every underpowered char is fun simply cause its underpowered... a wandazon with 17 frame block and 16 whole damage might tickle ur fancy.
    3) good-hood.

you are stuck at stage 2.

7. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

I really must say that I see some flaws. I don't have the time to debate ATM so I won't get into it.

This has forced my hand...*cue ominous music

8. Mercy

Mercy IncGamers Member

Left Arm you've yet to qoute anything useful to me. You did not read my last post. I asked some questions that were directed to you. You seem to know all the answers so please share them. Im here to learn as well, so if you have nothing useful to input please dont bother posting at all.

If you point out an error in my guide, at least tell me what i can do to fix it. So that next time i do not make the same error. You have yet to do that.

9. memememe173

So fun shouldn't be as efficiant and effective as possible?

O and Lefty...You are wrong about the shield bit. Lidless is a **** shield for blocking. Wiz is much more efficiant

10. Mercy

Mercy IncGamers Member

I want it to be efficient and effective as possible but i just keep getting flamed. Nobody really told me what i did wrong yet. Which is why i am bedazzled.

11. memememe173

Read some of the other guides and you'll see some of the things

12. nwl-4now

nwl-4now IncGamers Member

WarCry Barbs

I have the highest Cry Barb I've yet to see on USEast Ladder (level 92), and my build is nothing like that.

I use:
    2x HoTO (32%, 38%)
    Enigma (wyrmhide, 1198 def)
    2x SoJ
    Arachnid Mesh
    Frostburns (Ogre Gauntlets)
    Aldur's Advance (for Life, Faster r/w)
    +3 WarCry, +2 BO Avenger Guard, made into Delirium
    +3 WarCries amulet with +93 life
    10x WarCry Charms with Life

All together, this gives me level 52 WarCry (~2100 damage per cry), 4500 life, 1800 mana, and 100% FCR (more than adequate for teleporting, and for cry speed). I just don't see the point of a lot of items you use in your build, such as Wizard Spikes or TGods. Please explain?

13. Mercy

Mercy IncGamers Member

Well one question first, are you PvP?

I use wiz spikes for the res and mana. To me using hoto is expensive, and teh higher skill, the more mana wc will suck from yur pool. I use t gods for light absorb so that trappers, chain light sorcs, and CB zons dont get the best of me.

I am not exactly rich so i cannot afford teh Hotos and wc charms with life anyway, but i really dont think its necessary. You lose res and mana, i dunno how you get 1800 mana without wiz's.

And to be honest i never thought of your delerium helm.

Did you put points into energy?

Go into depth more, im curious.

14. memememe173

He's gonna be chugging mana like there's no tomorrow. That is near impossible to play PvM

15. Zero-unit

Zero-unit IncGamers Member

Hmm...This guide was kinda sloppy, you really did'nt put any reasons for types of gear selection. And you really had'nt done your homework, seems as if you had put one together based of what you made and not considereing what else would be optional.

Now, I don't see this would be any fun if you have melee characters killing you just becuase of not having a shield, and Defense is actually very important for any barb. I just don't see how this guide intrigues me to even touch a thought of a WC barb.

Heres's what i suggest, figure out all the different kinds of combos and find the reasons for the type of equipment instead of just listing them. Do you homework and figure out such things as Faster Cast Rate, or Faster Hit Recovery and tell us! Then remodify this Guide and im sure you wll have better results, I had similar mistakes in some parts when i made mine. (This was in no Offense at all.)

[email protected]~

16. Mercy

Mercy IncGamers Member

Alright zero thanks for your input. Ill remodify and put in some more things. Thanks for not flaming me, and letting me know what i did wrong.

17. Left Arm

Left Arm Banned

i never said use lidless for blocking... theres another guy that cant read

as i said, mercy, READ PLS since again u have shown an inability to use either eye or brain.. i said ur barb DOESNT HAVE A SHIELD and WILL DIE.

u can get STORMSHIELD with SUR RUNE and ARREATS WITH BER and either 2 cast rings and crafted amulet, or 1 cast ring, soj, and 15+ fcr amulet. AND STILL HIT GASP 8 FRAMES. with a SHIELD. which makes u LIVE. instead of DIE.

using NINE 16-17 SC which are NOT expensive or rare, u can hit 1300 mana EASILY with BASE energy.

by "most public duelers will not be able to move away" u refer to the lvl 67 ZON using a KUKU SHAKUKU, or the SORC using 2 pieces of TAL SET and casts 2000 DAMAGE FIREBALL?

wind druid, barb, paladin, sorc with Stormshield, Necro, All will beat you.

gee what are the most popular builds right now??

WIND DRUID BARB PALADIN SORC NECRO

why dont u make a wand-zon using a cracked buckler if u derive pleasure from dying using a bad warcry barb

Also, if your warcry barb doesnt know how to TO USE, OR HAVE, LEAP, TIME to REMAKE or GROW BRAIN CELLS.

in your case, its BOTH.

18. memememe173

Areat's and Storm on Singer :uhhuh:

1300 mana :uhhuh:

that might do 1k damage using all your mana with the high level WC you both have mentioned

19. Zero-unit

Zero-unit IncGamers Member

Oh the Flames, makes me all warm inside...

Left Arm hey, Nothing against you but you should act a little more mature in case you had not noticed It's his first guide. I'm sure all first timers including me had their mistakes and should not have to be rained upon with bad replies.

Instead of replying in such a bad way, help him and give some advice so that next time we dont have such people come in, read, and be rude.

[email protected]~

20. Mercy

Mercy IncGamers Member

- Directly from RPG Forums.net

Just wondering, can you read? :thanks:

Another thing, just because i dont have a shield doesnt mean i die. I play the barb night in and night out, and i dont necessarily die because of no shield. Some characters you simply cannot beat, like an FB sorc dealing massive amounts of damage. So generally you would respond, well use absorb, even with absorb you still die, and if you put on absorb+GA, your toast from the other chars in the public dueling game.
    Last time i checked, even players with shields die. Ive actually lived longer than people who do in fact use shields, so dont give me this "You die if you dont use a shield". Yes i am more susceptible to dying, but from my dueling experiences 80% of duelers in public games are in fact Elemental characters with attacks that cannot be blocked. :thumbsup:

Why the hell would i put a sur rune in a stormshield? You think 50+ more mana adds a good number to your manapool after you just lost 200+ by taking away a wiz spike for a "sur" stormshield?
    Since you want me to use a shield, i take it you want me to get max block. Max block at around lvl 80 is near 200 i believe. Well if i soak 200 in dex, i certainly will not have near 5000 life, which to you is so low. Can you explain how i get max block on a storm, and a achieve a number higher than 5000 life, much higher since 5000 is real low. :sleep:

NINE 16-17 sc of what? And bro, 1300 mana is to low. My barb has 1700 mana near that and that isnt even enough.

How do you know what i am refering to if you play on west and have never dueled with me before? What does a kuku shakuku and a sorc using parts of tals set that does 2000 fire ball damage, have to do with their faster hit recovery and teh ability to escape warcry?
    Believe it or not, most people in pubic dueling games neglect the fact that FHR is important. Not alot of people feel its important,i wouldnt have said that most people cannot move away, if i did not feel the statement was valid, and if i did not see it with my own two eyes.

Every character you listed, has a very elite good version of a cookie cutter. As most cookie cutter builds are used because they are good and win alot of duels. Hmmm lets ask how many peoples chars do not lose to those classes. Im sure even your characters lose to those, so really that statement you made was really unfair to throw at me.

Im fed up with your asinine pleasure of trying to make me look stupid, because i think a warcry barb should use 2x dual wizpspike. Why dont you design me the perfect warcry barb, since you love trashing mine up. However in your guide, tell me a way i can get 5000+ life, max block, 105% fcr, and 1700+ mana, AND AND the big #1 USE A SUFFICIENT LEAP STRATEDGY! Have fun :clap:

I know how to leap, except why would I? Why do you keep telling me to use leap when i have teleport? Lemme know of a good leap stratedgy you feel can out do teleport.

Please refer back to qoute one of this post. Thanks

-Mercy