Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mercs!!! :S

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by zarfen, Sep 6, 2006.

1. zarfen

zarfen IncGamers Member

Mercs!!! :S

I am sick and tired of act 2 merc's, I agree that they are the best for most situations and chars. but I dont want them anywomre!! :p
    What other mercs should go well with what builds?
    cirrently lurking on a fire trapper / kicker, dont know the build yet though, guessing max fire traps and dtalon :p
    please dudes and dudettes, help me.
    :hide:

~Peaceout

2. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

Barbarians for builds that needs a tank.
    Rogue's/Iron Wolves for those who don't.

3. Jude

Jude IncGamers Member

I usually use Fire Rogues and give them a socketed bow. Then I socket gems or runes to give cold, poison, and lightning damage. Try also to equip armor on her to give +%hit recovery and -Poison length, and if you have sockets on the armor or helm, too, put +damage jewels in them (for some reason the +damage jewels give a lot more +damage to the merc that to your character).
    She casts Inner Sight, which is nice, too. Plus, there are a lot of cool names to choose from! ;)
    Jude

4. Repusz

Repusz IncGamers Member

IMHO go for a might merc, they help a lot improving kick damage. :p
    Either way, for tanking purposes might mercs >> barbarians, for crowd control holy freeze mercs >> cold iron wolves and rogues...rogues are just puny :) I <3 act2 mercs :p

I hope now you want them again ^^

5. zarfen

zarfen IncGamers Member

thanks for the input people, but Jude, does she(fire rough) do anything at all in nm/hell, just a socketed bow seems a littel measly :p
    anyway, I used to get a cold iron wolf for freezing earlier on.
    Hmm, I'm interestes in the barbs/rouges, mostly, the irondudes are just awful imo :p

6. water_moon

water_moon IncGamers Member

I always (and I mean always) play with a rouge, the AI is just SOOO much better. Ihough I use cold arrow if if I don't have a way to get rid of corpses myself. And yes, they do help kill, they also help you find the little bugger off sceen just far enough that if you ran full tilt boogie at him you get the whole pack. I personlly like to stick mine with as much posion as possible to keep the monsters from regening, works better than prevent monster heal.

Not to mention it's easy to find socketed bows and cube up a few pgems.

7. Deaddave

Deaddave IncGamers Member

i find iron wolves very useful when building trappers, a fronzen target is a dead target

8. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

Like most of us, it's almost always A2 - HF (and Insight) for the casters and Might for the melee'ers.

Still, I had a blast using a Cold Wolf with my Avenger. The slow and occasional freeze was very helpful, and he actually got a few kills. OK, maybe this was because I was so slow.

And he seemed to often target single monsters and blast away until it was dead, unlike A1 rogues, which seem to loose interest and wander off. For me at least - I haven't taken one passed A2 Norm after she opened one too many doors in the tombs without typing "r?" first.

Sadly, Dorian got "deeds" in A2 Hell, so I can't say the combo was uber throughout (my fault, not the mercs - I don't want to talk about it..). Still, I am tempted to try an Avenger again, and I want to make the most of the Conviction aura. I'm leaning towards a Wolf again, but maybe with an elemental bow like Kuko or Skystrike or Harmony a rouge would be the ideal choice. And with her IS and my Conviction, we'll never miss.

As for a trapper/kicker, I sadly cannot offer much, as I have never played one. What do you want out of the Merc? What is your biggest weakness? Probably FI, so what's going to help you counter that? IS for better CtH? If only there was a way to increase your physical damage...

DudSpud

9. Skinny

Skinny Banned

Really? I always thought that A1 mercs are as dumb as they get. She runs around pointlessly instead of just staying in one place, so she looses a lot of time she could spend on firing. What's better, she often doesn't stop and runs right into a meele monster and gets smashed. Also the thing DudSpud mentioned- opening doors and attracting hordes of monsters. A2 mercs are dumb too, but in a more predictable fashion I guess, I always get pissed at the rogues I use in A1 normal

10. Jude

Jude IncGamers Member

I've found that if you give them something with +%hit recovery they don't seem to spend as much time not shooting. Give her a faster bow, too.

Hmm, for me, it's the Act II Mercs that open doors all the time when I don't want them opened yet.

@zarfen: You'll have to use water_moon's experience for Nightmare/Hell levels. My experience with rogues has been in Normal. I've only gotten to Nightmare with an Amazon, and I usually use Act II mercs with Amazons, unless they are melee only.

Jude

11. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

My avenger has cold Iron Wolf as merc. Jabari :)laugh: ) is equipped pretty nicely, dual Spirit, Shako and Vipermagi. But even with my avengers Conviction (= -150% enemy cold res) he is not killing too fast. But I have to say, the freezing effects of his spells are *very* nice. I don't how fire or lgt Iron Wolves would do, because I haven't used them. Maybe I should try 'em out and see what they are capable of. But i'm afraid their dmg is lacking badly without LR or Conviction :undecided:

IMO act 1 rogues spend too much time running around and not shooting. I will give them another chance soon though (that's when I find Trang's belt and start a venomancer).

Act 5 barb merc with 'Lawbringer' would be interesting thing to try too.

12. RedArchon

RedArchon IncGamers Member

If you're really fond of Fishymancers and you have the runes to do it then put a Faith bow on a fire arrow Act 1 Merc. Fanatacism for the win! :jig:

13. yiuman

yiuman IncGamers Member

How about an act 3 cold merc with a Last wish sword for a mellee character? Freezing and a way to deal with PIs plus a lvl17 might aura to boost damage. Ok, it won't boost your damage as much as a might merc with a pride polearm, but still its not too shabby.

Or an Act 1 merc with the Wraith runeword for the ctc decrep and lifetap or a faith bow for the fanat aura.

14. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

The last time I went with a rogue mercenary was in 1.09 and she was always settting up right next to melee monsters to attack. This resulted 9 out of 10 times with a dead merc. Perhaps their AI has gotten better with the updates I'm not sure.

But since then I've always used a town guard mercenery for the aura. Being not extremely rich in elite items I find that I need this extra aura to deal successfully with boss packs in Hell. Although I am currently testing a barbarian merc with my martial arts assassin, for variety's sake. Can't really say how that is going yet though as it's still in the early stages of that relationship.

15. punsAREfun

punsAREfun IncGamers Member

i always go with a2 merc also, but i have to admit an a1 rogue with a faith bow sounds pretty intruiging...

16. zarfen

zarfen IncGamers Member

Tnaks for all replies, I think I will try out a1 at merc for my next ´build.
    The problem is thoug tha tI find them runnig around 2 much and not shooting, does faster bows really make them shoot faster? as they seem to not be shooting as fast as they ca nanyway, just fire an arrow, cast som is, look when I get beaten up, then fire another arrow at the fallen that comes wandering a screen away.. then keep looking at the monsters.
    anyway, I will give her a new chance :thumbsup:
    As for casters the insight is very bloody nice, + a nice tank, esp. with hf aura, cant top that for a caster :D

17. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

Faster run/walk can help out a bit, since she will get where she want to go faster. (Steath armor and rare circlets can help here, as can a Zephyr bow, but there are better bows available if you twink.) A good part of it is getting used to her AI, so you can help her get into position faster. That just takes getting used to. (I have a huge problem with the Act 2 mercs AI, mostly because I'm not really used to it.) The worst AI award goes to the Act 3 mercs, though. :grin:

18. RedArchon

RedArchon IncGamers Member

For Faster Run/Walk on an Act 1 Merc, a Harmony bow sounds like a good choice aswell.

19. Jude

Jude IncGamers Member

Like I think I wrote before, I have noticed that +%Faster Hit recovery seems to help, but I can't prove it.

Jude

20. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

I forgot that one. :grin: It's probably my new favorite bow for my RWM character's merc.

@jude: Yup, FHR is good for all mercs. Less time in hit recovery = more time killing.