Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mercs - hiring and leveling

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by TokenWhiteGuy, Mar 27, 2005.

1. TokenWhiteGuy

TokenWhiteGuy IncGamers Member

Mercs - hiring and leveling

After a break from d2 lasting a year or so, I've come back to the game and am more addicted than ever. Unfortunately, things have changed with the release of v1.10 and I'm out of the loop :(

1. Do mercs still end up better if you buy them early and level them?

2. And so, is there an ideal level at which I should purchase a merc?

I've just hired an act 2 NM merc at level 24, but was sad to see he had a paltry 126 life. My character has since gotten to level 27, and I see that I can hire a level 27 merc - should I? (I looked around for hiring-level maxes for each act but couldn't find them)

3. Are there any areas that are just perfect for leveling mercs?

I'm sure this is something people have already figured out, and would save me the time just going from one arbitrary area of appropriate level to another :)

2. frederikdnd2

frederikdnd2 IncGamers Member

1; welcome back :thumbsup:

1b: Yes, it's still better to get them at a low level and level them all the way up (takes a lot longer and is a lot harder, obviously)

2: I don't think there is an ideal level!I just got mine in act5 normal, got the highest one that was around and level him up. Don't think it matters if you buy a level 4 in normal or a level 7 (that is about the first merc)

3: Perfect would be going in a game with 8 players, going solo and let the merc kill it all. I just find that i use for the merc the same charts that could go for humans, (0-10 andy, 10-24 act II + act III, 24-40 Baal---> etc etc)

3. Oddity

Oddity IncGamers Member

4. frederikdnd2

frederikdnd2 IncGamers Member

5. manfaux

manfaux IncGamers Member

welcome back~

and a little bit more, if you are using an act2 merc (desert something?-_-?)
    they have different auras depending on their type (combat, offensive, defensive) AND where you hire them (in normal , NM, or hell )

i like the def. merc from NM, which has a Holy Freeze aura~
    off. from NM has Might (attack damage boost)
    combat has Thorns (reflects damage on enemies)

in Normal and hell games they have the same mercs :
    off>Blessed Aim (AR boost)
    def>Defiance (defence boost)
    combat>Prayer ?i think (Faster life replenishing)

they all work on parties except for the holy freeze aura

hope this will help !

6. TokenWhiteGuy

TokenWhiteGuy IncGamers Member

Thanks for the replies! :clap:

The merc is an act 2 NM offensive (might) and I've got him with a nerco so leveling him should be relatively easy, but obviously time-consuming.

So, does anyone know how MUCH better a merc is if level'd manually? I'm a number-crunching nerd and like to know things like that :)

That knowledge will help answer what I guess my basic question was:

"Should I level him the hard way from lvl24 or just rehire him at the highest level you can hire a NM act 2 merc and just level him from there?"

7. PoorCobbler

PoorCobbler IncGamers Member

i dont think the difference in power between a manually leveled merc and shop bought high lvl one is very big but i dont have an stats to prove this.
    the biggest factor in a mercs power is always his gear.

8. rubberband shooter

rubberband shooter IncGamers Member

Only the difficulty you hire the merc affects the merc's stats. For example, a merc hired at normal act2 will have higher stats then a hell act2 merc of the same level. The level you hire the merc does not matter, there is no difference between the mercs hired at lvl 40 and one at lvl 50 of the same act, difficulty and type when they reach the same lvl.

9. DullBoy30

DullBoy30 IncGamers Member

If IIRC, the levled merc would have higher base stats vs. the high-lvl hire, but I don't think it was more than a few points. So, what you need to decide is whether or not 5 STR points is worth the hours of leveling your merc. Personally, I don't think it is.

10. Dennis_KoreanGuy

Dennis_KoreanGuy IncGamers Member

I suggest you getting a Holy Freeze Act 2 merc from NM (only available in NM) because their HF aura helps insanely in PvM.

For leveling, Hell Cows is ALWAYS the best place to level any mercs, and second option would be Hell Baal Minions.

Welcome back to the fascinating addicting world of D2.

- Dennis

11. sorcees

sorcees IncGamers Member

if you want an act 2 merc for your necro, i suggest a might (nm)merc, the aura also is good for your skellies.
    then best to hire him when you are at about lvl 45 , thats also the highest lvl you can get an act 2 nm merc.

12. BFD

BFD IncGamers Member

Since you wanted numbers, I've attached a link to a zip of an excel file with stats for all levels of all hirelings. http://wreckernl.homestead.com/files/Diabloiinet/CompleteD2Ver110HirelingStats.zip

13. Bullet-Tooth Tony

Bullet-Tooth Tony IncGamers Member

I don't think it is always necessary to let the merc make the kills himself.
    There is no merc, who has a killing power comparable to the character. While the merc is killing a monster you'll probably be able to kill 6 or 7. Especially with mass-killing spells. So, don't bother waiting for merc kills - this would take much less monsters, but much more time.
    There are only 2 important things:
    1) Watch for merc level and monster levels. Go to areas, where level of monsters is close to merc's level. Though, the insane amount of Cows in their level can compensate the level difference.
    2) If you're playing in a party, get as much kills yourself, as possible. The merc doesn't get any exp from kills made by party members.