Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mercs for werewolf

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Demppa, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Demppa

Demppa IncGamers Member

Mercs for werewolf

Hi all!

I've read some guides but I didn't get a good answer: Is a Act 1 Fire/cold (which one?) merc a good choice for a feral rage/fury werewolf? (I don't have so good equipment)
    If that isn't a good thing, How about an act 3 cold mercenary?

Thanks for any help
    -Demppa

2. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

Act2 might or act2 defiance

Garbad

3. Lazy_BerZerker

Lazy_BerZerker Banned

yeah might if your main damage source is physical ^^

4. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Act 2 mercs are the best for nearly any build...excellent tanks and their auras are so sweet. Don't leave town without them. I also second Garbad's suggestions, although I also like a Holy Freeze merc, if you can't get Doom that is.

5. Demppa

Demppa IncGamers Member

Yeah my main damage is physical but an act 3 merc could do a lot of cold damage against phys. immunes, which is a great thing. And of course they freeze and slow monsters. Just if the damage is good they could be a fine choice.

They are good tanks, yes, but will I need a tank in higher levels?

6. Chimaira

You don't need a tank...but it's always nice to have someone to tank with you...even the hardest and toughest melee tanker out there can be overwhelmed by a nasty boss pack...if 8 enemies attack you, you're only hit by 4 of them because your mercenary takes care of the rest. A merc is your best friend and he'll make your life so much easier...but Werewolf isn't one of those builds that depend on a merc...

7. PyroStock

PyroStock IncGamers Member

Holy Freeze - you already have the killing power, HolyFreeze makes it harder for your enemies to run away and his added cold damage helps against PIs.

Act1, Might and Defiance are ok too. As mentioned, a Werewolf doesn't need a certain Merc. The only ones I wouldn't recommend are Act3 Mercs, which are rather useless in Hell.

8. Demppa

Demppa IncGamers Member

ok..after a quite long thinking I'm starting to prefer the holy freeze merc. I'm just interested, how much damage do they do? (and how much of that is cold damage)

9. Chimaira

You shouldn't pick the Holy Freeze merc for his cold damage...it's not too high.

At lvl 20 Holy Freeze adds 185-190 which is nice but not godly...Holy Freeze really needs its synergies to be able to dish out some real damage. As for ordinary damage...depends on their weapons.

10. Demppa

Demppa IncGamers Member

okaaaay... so, might merc would be (I think) the only good thing left..As I would think, A1 mercs are worse than might mercs.

11. PyroStock

PyroStock IncGamers Member

If you get modest +skills Fury will already give over +500%ED. Assuming your Werewolf will have ~200STR that's at least another +200%ED (higher for mauls). And we'll assume you don't use HoW or party with anyone (no Fanaticism or other auras to boost you higher). Even at L96+Werewolf with a L95+Might Merc the highest you get is another +230%ED bonus so when added in to your Fury + STR enhancement + whatever else (equipment, elemental damage, etc) a Might Merc is just not as valuable to a lone Werewolf as he would be to a Hunter. Honestly, you will find Hell Ancients with high physical resist/immunity and PI mobs your biggest issue - everything else you'll slaughter. I've read plenty of PvM HoW Werewolves who were disappointed in HoW expecting it's ~+175%ED to be great, but only see a small raise in their damage because of these factors. But that doesn't make Might a bad choice anymore than HolyFreeze is a bad choice.

Might - Very party friendly, increases the damage of your pets, Merc has a higher leech total, Merc and you deal higher physical damage to kill ActBosses a little faster.
    HolyFreeze - Very party friendly, allows you to be more reckless/bold (enemies approach slower, enemies shoot/swing less often,etc), enemies have harder time fleeing, some cold damage for PIs. Some rich players don't use HolyFreeze Mercs because they have a Doom weapon waiting for their Merc.
    Defiance - Very party friendly, increases the defense of your pets, Merc and you get higher defense. Use very high defense armors/items on your Merc & Werewolf to optimize his aura.

There isn't only "one good thing" and any of the above 3 can serve you very well. It just depends on what you want, how you play & what you do later... you have to choose. Once you dumped the Act3 Merc you made a huge improvement, even if you go Act1Rogue or Act5Barb. I have a SC Werewolf still with a Rogue (kept from the Lightning Hose days) without any problems, but Act2 Mercs have more to offer due to the auras and awesome 1.10 weapons they have available now.

12. ladydraxis

ladydraxis IncGamers Member

Personally, I prefer Defiance mercs for my werewolf druids, because the ONLY bonus that werewolf druids do NOT get from their skills is a high defense.

13. te500cdt

te500cdt IncGamers Member

Hello, how about a reaper's toll on a might merc? That's what I use. I can't afford making fancy runeword weapon and armor for my merc so I just put a reaper's toll and an eth duriel's shield on him. and steal skull for a bit better IAS to go with reaper's toll. His damage isn't too high but I found him a very good crowd control tool. and when the reaper's toll cast the curse on those PI monsters, I kill them easily. I hope someday I will find an eth reaper's toll. any suggestions?

14. Demppa

Demppa IncGamers Member

Well...there's a lot of things!
    I didn't remember that HoW doesn't really add the final damage by 175% or whatever it is...I was planning a HoW but now I see I'll already have about 700% ED. Same thing with the might merc. I see the holy freeze aura a lot better, but that's IMO. Well, thanks because I got now a lot better idea of how to play.

I see another question now: How will I deal with the forever-annoying phys. immunes if my HF merc can't kill them?

15. harley98

harley98 IncGamers Member

my prayer merc uses a reapers toll socketed with an eth rune and has no problems killing pi's.