Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Merc's Eth Bonehew - What to socket?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Are, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Are

Are IncGamers Member

Merc's Eth Bonehew - What to socket?

So my MeteOrb just found an Ethereal Bonehew, which my Act 2 HF Merc instantly fell in love with.. However, I'm having trouble deciding what to put in its two sockets :)

My main concerns for the Merc at the moment is that he dies a bit too often when doing Mephisto runs (about every two runs), which hinders the speed of the runs quite a bit (having to run over to revive him takes quite a bit of time when totalling it up for 150 runs/day), so I was considering putting in two Amn runes until I remembered having read something about lifesteal not working very well on at least some act bosses.

So, anyway, I'm asking you for advice :) Any low-to-mid level runes (Um is my highest to date) and perfect gems/skulls are available. If none of those would be optimal, what type of jewels should I be looking for? I could also slap my Rainbow Facet (the cold-death type) into it, if that works properly for Mercs.

2. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

I too have read something about the effectiveness of leach vs. some enemies. I know there is a table somewhere, I'm not sure where though.

I'm not sure about the cold facet's effectiveness though, maybe somebody who knows will chime in.

Back to leeching though, two Amn runes, or two perfect skulls will grant you higher leech, so you kind of overcome the leeching penalty. Also, if I recall correctly, Hell Mephisto cannot be leeched at all, but he's the only one I can recall off the top of my head

3. lachen

lachen IncGamers Member

As far as I know, the Cold Facet will not do anything for you if it's on your merc.

The options that I would consider are ShaelShael, ShaelAmn, or AmnAmn. Of course, it will depend on your mercs armor and helm, and if it's mostly Mephisto you're doing. (Hell Meph indeed can't be leeched from)

As far as jewels go: +enhanced damage jewels (though I wouldn't go so far as putting in something like a 35%+ in there, heh), +min/max damage, res all, a rare jewel with fire/lightning res and some other nifty damage mod, or a "something" jewel of fervor (or just a plain one) are candidates I would consider.

4. Arreat_mercenary

Arreat_mercenary IncGamers Member

Both neumein and lachen are correct: Hell Mephisto is not leechable at all, this measure along with making durance 2 larger was something Blizzard put in order to try to prevent people to farm the give-me-itamz meph (something that did not worked :grin: ).

Bonehew is an incredibly weapon for an act 2 merc (along with the reaper's toll) and being ethereal makes it even more special. Check out your merc breakpoint for attacks, if your merc hasn't reached his fastest breakpoint with your helm/armor combination, a shael+anything or shael+shael is a MUST. More attacks = More damage = Faster runs.

If you already hit his fastest breakpoints, magical or rare jewels are excellent options (+min damage,+max damage, +resists, +life, %Enhaced Damage are top searched mods on jewels), for magical, obviously +ED% are top choice. If survivality is a problem and you mainly run meph, +life greatly helps. You can try Duriel's Shell for armor, it adds +life per Clvl and it adds the ever-useful Cannot Be Frozen (very nice when mephs decides to use his frozen ball).

5. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

Figure out what breakpoint your merc is hitting at and then add shaels accordingly. Fill the other socket with an Amn (for general play). Don't waste your time throwing ED jewel in there, because the socket can be used for other things. And besides, its for a sorc's merc, and the sorc is ging to be doing most of the killing. THe merc is there to handle immunes and tank. More speed (and thus more damage) and life leech (sustainability, and more speed a.k.a more damage means more life) are better options than damage.

crg

6. sawm

sawm IncGamers Member

Or if you have a Tal's mask handy, slap that on him, and shove two Eth's into the Bonehew...remember, you can unsocket it at a later time if you feel the need to change.

7. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

Why Eths? I've never had a merc that had trouble hitting.

8. Phosheez

Phosheez IncGamers Member

agreed. leveling your merc is a much better way for him to start hitting stuff, granted 2x eths is hardly gonna break the bank. my thoughts are that shael shael is the best if you are hitting the last breakpoint. ive never seen a huge need for LL so i usually dont amn much of anything