Mercless Char

curgun

Diabloii.Net Member
Mercless Char

For some reason even I can not rationalize myself, I dislike playing characters with a merc, so I was wondering what would be the least merc dependent (in the sense it can actually play without one) character is. Would love to hear some opinions

DoomBoy

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Mercless Char

I thought this was a merciless char --> BvA (barbarian v. all)

A mercenary is just a little bit of extra that you can get with a bit of gold. No one has to get them.

Necro - already has minions
Barb - lots of life
Pally - auras
Zon - stays far from harm
Sorc - teleports

I'd say a barbarian just because they're so strong.

wickedswami

Diabloii.Net Member

poor sorc's need insight, rich sorc's need infinity.
Zon/barb/pally are probably your best bet
for pally: redemption +the occasional manapot will take away most of your need for insight

Zon with some manaleech can probably do fine, allthough a frost maiden may get in mana troubles.

Barb should do fine too with some leech.

nurman

Diabloii.Net Member

My berserk barbarian does not give poop whenever he has a merc or not ^_^

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator

My fana-zealots never use a merc. He would get a bit off-weapon %ed from their might aura, but he can kill well enough without him. I use him in solo Baal, organ and Uber runs, where a merc dies rather quickly anyway.

A zon can use a valk instead which costs just a few mana points to resummon instead of 50k gold for resurrecting a merc, but if you don't like mercs because they are morons, valks aren't less stupid. However, you can summon them at exectly the spot where you need a distraction.... and a decoy in addition.

droid

Diabloii.Net Member

Almost any build can go mercless....the only ones that require a merc are Infinity sorcs/javazons, and realistically Insight on most other sorcs.

However, there's no build that doesnt benefit noticeably from having a merc. And, at only 50k a pop, cheap to equip, and rarely die at level ~85+, there's really little reason not to use one, except if you're solely an Uber runner where they wouldnt survive anyway - but in that case, you'd already know what build you wanted :)

Second bowzon for least merc-reliant, since Valk serves the "meatshield" portion, just not the "aura-granting" portion. Summon nec is also not too merc-reliant, but they benefit a lot more from an aura-merc since it boosts all your summons.

curgun

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks a lot for the answers so far, would you also be kind enough to elaborate a bit on your answers? WW/Frenzy barbs or java/bowzons (whichever you deem suitable) and a few hints on gear/builds would also be very welcome

droid

Diabloii.Net Member

Any java/bowzon that's not a pure-light javazon and uses at least a L17 valk

Also any barb, as long as you have Atma's to break PIs or have a point in Berserk

RNEDMR

Diabloii.Net Member

I would say paladin as well, but I"d have to go a step further and say smiter/zealer pallys are good without a merc. Hammerdins are very mana intensive so a merc with insight helps alot. A decent geared smite/zealer can blow through mobs really fast and not use alot of mana since both zeal and smite, even at max skill, only take 2 mana per use. If you happen to have dracs gloves which give lifetap, you'll rarely need to chug a healthpot.

BobCox2

Diabloii.Net Member

Mercs are PVM
PVP you can do without.
PVM can be crippling to not use at times but have fun.

You can have your mercs kill all if done right.
HC zon ring a bell?