Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mercenary resilient against Hell mephisto

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by SayFourtyThreePlz, Apr 18, 2011.

1. SayFourtyThreePlz

SayFourtyThreePlz Diabloii.Net Member

Mercenary resilient against Hell mephisto

Hello. I have mercenary problems... Well it won't survive against hell mephisto. And i have no idea how to help him actually...

I saw some guide recommending Kelpie Snare however it is for poor people and i thought i might be able to do something better.

So at the moment he has a Stone runeword with 1300 defense, Tal's mask and eth Colossus Voulge insight.

So here's my flavie: http://say43plz.webs.com/- New Folder/GoMuleReport.html

Thanks in advance =)

2. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

Re: Mercenary resilient against Hell mephisto

Slows Target is one of the most overpowered things when it comes to concerning Boss fights. Just because some poor people (Not so poor now that they're running Hell Mephisto now!) use it doesn't mean it isn't effective.

As an alternative to Kelpie, give Reaper's Toll a try.

You didn't say anything about your build so:
    Level up more, or use a Life Tap wand, or tank Mephisto yourself (doesn't work too well with Frozen Orb), or a Lower Resist wand, or aim your Frozen Orb better, or get more damage, or make sure he's got his Defiance aura on.

3. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock Diabloii.Net Member

The reason Kelpie Snare is suggested is for the 75% slow target, which makes just about every act boss a joke.

For armor, I'd swap the Stone for Smoke or Treachery depending on what his resists are at. Other than that, feed him potions and use teleport to keep him out of danger. You can even use the moat trick to prevent him from taking any damage at all.

4. SayFourtyThreePlz

So i should trade/search for a kelpie. I saw that the kelpie has 75% slow. I am a blizzard sorceres with 1k life. And i need my merc to tank him so i can do damage without moving every second to dodge his attacks. Oh and he got 66 resistances or something like that. I don't think they will be a problem.

5. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

What's wrong with leaving him dead and using the moat trick? With the moat trick, a merc is unnecessary anyway.

6. SayFourtyThreePlz

I just don't feel like using tricks not meant to be used. I play games to have a challenge, and without challenge there is no fun. That's why i play diablo mostly. because it has the biggest challenge in creating a godly character.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  7. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Not trying to start something here, but the game was made that way. I fully believe blizzard knew people would use it that way when they designed the level. I would much rather find a real challenge somewhere else.

8. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

I've never done the 'moat trick'.

My last Blizzard sorceress would teleport into Mephisto face, along with the mercenary, Static + Blizzard, then Ice Blast + Blizzard after Static Field stops working. Drink down a potion when you take a hit.

Maybe jam a Guillaume's Face on your mercenary, too. You can't leech Hell Mephisto, so you've got to alter to situation to where your team dies slower than he does, instead of just going into leech-mode. :p

Woestave is a slightly weaker Kelpie @ 50% slow, but you can also tape on Blackhorn's Face for another Slows Target By 20% for 70% total. :)

Huge armor + Slow stick = good to go. The alternative is to somehow deal insane damage to Mephisto to where he instantly vanishes, but such a build sort of defeats the purpose of running that target anywho.

Goodluck.

9. Tadzio

Tadzio Diabloii.Net Member

TBH, I think the biggest challenge in D2 is grailing-- and that's all patience and luck. Character building has some challenge (or did before the stat reset quest reward showed up), but only if you don't take other people's advice on builds. I don't see much difference in difficulty between relying on your merc to tank and executing the moat trick. If you think about it, both tactics abuse AI. Merc-tank is more convenient (assuming the tank survives); moat-trick saves money but takes a little more time to set up positioning.

Anyway, using a lifetap wand on switch will allow your merc to lifeleech from Mephisto, which is a big help, though it requires more micro management. In the end you'll probably find Kelpie, or moat trick more convenient. Just put Insight back on your merc when you're done running Mephisto and want to run level85 areas.

10. Serdash

Serdash Diabloii.Net Member

Based on your Flavie report, welcome to the soup kitchen, poor man!

Your mercenary will gain no benefit from life leech, and slightly less benefit from defense. Kelpie Snare is an amazing option, but not the only option.

Based on your flavie report...

Gladiators Bane socketed with Tal Rune(I find meph's poison cloud to be an irritation)
    Blackhorn's Face socketed with Ort Rune(Charged bolt can be terrible as well)
    Kelpie Snare, Woestave or Hone Sudan(Hone has amazing Crushing Blow, although if you're a sorc, you have static field which is much better)
    EDUT:
    I would also keep two slots of Super Healing Potions to Shift+Hotkey forcefeed the merc when his health drops. It gives him a couple more seconds.

Poor people should use poor people items. :)

Especially when half the time the poor people items are way better for the situation than the rich people items.

11. lionheartthebrave

lionheartthebrave Diabloii.Net Member

There's your challenge, throw the merc an insight and see if you can kill Mephisto before he kills your merc

But yeh, a non eth kelpie should be a few PGems in the SPTF

12. corax

corax Diabloii.Net Member

serdash burn, the rarest and greatest of burns.

if you are planning on running meph, seriously, just moat trick it.

And if you're after a real challenge roll with HC untwinked ;)

13. Bonesnap

Bonesnap Diabloii.Net Member

Sure the Kelpie is cool with its 75% slow, I've used it with sucess myself. But from my understanding I think its limited to 50% slow per source/items vs. bosses. So you're actually only getting 50% slow, wich still is a whole lot. If there wasn't a limit the 1.07 kelpie with 100% slow would be pretty awesome (I do have 2 actually haven't tried them yet though). But I would still use probably kelpie in combination with Blackhorns Face. As that would give an effective 70% slow. Or maybe a CoA with sockets like Ber (if we now are to talk about the rich man's approach). And top it off with some shaftstop, gladsbane or other useful armor. Pretty much just trying what keeps him alive the longest, aka long enough to make meph die first.

Key point would probably be to boost char dmg first as to kill meph faster. My current mephrunner shoots him down so fast I can use pretty much whatever gear i want on my merc. Not that I would use anything else then his Infinity thresher for weapon though...:evil2:

14. potter

potter Diabloii.Net Member

Some more info on your currently equipped gear, char level etc would also be nice to know and relevant.
    If you are looking to trade stuff (though you really don't need to), go for The Reaper's Toll (50% slow + 50% Damage Reduction).
    Or you could just throw on Woestave/Shaftstop/Kira's and wait for a Reaper's to drop.

This will give you:
    Slow Target 50% (50% slow is the cap per source versus bosses/players. There are four types of slow sources; cold damage, decrepify, holy freeze and slow target%/clay golem.)

50% Open Wounds (Negates his insignificant regen rate 1/256 hp point per frame, but better than nothing!)

Maxed resists from Kira's (Meph will do 2x damage on all of his attacks versus Hirelings. Additionally, every monster has a 5% chance of critical hit on all type of attacks as well)

CBF from Kira's (Meph do a lot of cold attacks and nobody likes a blue merc)

30% Damage Reduction (Meph's physical hit = 156-215(base). A critical hit on your merc would be 624-860)

Merc breakpoints with a Halberd
    Code:
    IAS	attack speed [ticks]	attacks per second
    0	       7	                3.12
    9	       6.5	                3.33
    20	       6	                3.57
    37	       5.5	                3.84
    63	       5	                4.16
    105	       4.5	                4.54
    200	       4	                5

A merc will survive a lot better when he reaches lvl87+ due to how chance to hit works with clvl vs mlvl (Meph is mlvl87)

As for you, I'm assuming you're either using a 3-part Tal setup or the full set?
    If you're wearing the full set, you'd need a lvl29 Cold Mastery to reduce Mephisto's cold resistance to -100%
    A 3-part Tal setup requires lvl32.

Remember to spam Ice blast in between Blizzard casts.

I'll leave with some RTB goodness:
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3663766&postcount=16

15. Assurbanipal

Assurbanipal Diabloii.Net Member

What is a base armor for your "Stone" runeword? As I am a bit surprised by its relative low def (1,3K). My "Stone" has 4k defense but I made it in eth Lacquered Plate (and my merc, with eth upped Crown of Thieves stands successfully against Hell Baal waves with rare deaths).
    As even eth Lacquered Plate has still significant str. requirement, you could do another "Stone" in eth Great Hauberk or Scarab Husk. Please remember that cube recipe for eth armors is bugged and gives additional defense.

Eth "Stone" + Vampire Gaze + Kalpie and your merc should survive most times.

16. SayFourtyThreePlz

It's wire fleece or something like that. I'm probably really unlucky because i've never even seen armor's like archon plate or something like that.

17. stephan

stephan Diabloii.Net Member

Kelpie's + Rockstopper (with or without Tal) + Shaftstop. Doesn't get any better than that for Meph in terms of survivability.

18. SayFourtyThreePlz

May i ask, why shaftshop? Oh and my merc survives (finally) with potter's build. Thanks guys =)

EDIT: The DR% doesn't work well with mephisto's attacks. I saw in a guide that mephisto does 1000% damage to the merc and with the 30% DR from shaftshop it becomes 970%.

19. stephan

stephan Diabloii.Net Member

That's wrong on both accounts.

20. SayFourtyThreePlz

It is? Awesome. I'll try it. Thanks =)