Mercenary not making aura, not using skill

shmEk

Diabloii.Net Member
Mercenary not making aura, not using skill

Might have an answer to this issue here if you are experiencing it.

Got my act 2 Merc early (Defense in normal) when I was at level 2. I have looked all over for anyone discussing what level the auras turn on and found nothing.

As soon as I hit level 9 my merc auras came on (merc level 6 at the time).

I assume there is a higher level for Nightmare, but had a problem with my other character too. Bought holy freeze merc when he was level 8. Aura never came on ... period. Finally when I was at level 37 I bought a new merc and "Ping" on came the auras. Not sure what the heck is up there but it's definitely a sucky experience when trying to build the most healthy merc and getting them at an early stage to do so.

Hope this helps some and I'm still testing it on more characters.

Are

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Mercenary not making aura, not using skill

It's also the case that the auras don't turn on in a game until the merc has been hit once. Can be annoying for mf-runs :)

mephiztophelez

Diabloii.Net Member

Might have an answer to this issue here if you are experiencing it.

Got my act 2 Merc early (Defense in normal) when I was at level 2. I have looked all over for anyone discussing what level the auras turn on and found nothing.

As soon as I hit level 9 my merc auras came on (merc level 6 at the time).

I assume there is a higher level for Nightmare, but had a problem with my other character too. Bought holy freeze merc when he was level 8. Aura never came on ... period. Finally when I was at level 37 I bought a new merc and "Ping" on came the auras. Not sure what the heck is up there but it's definitely a sucky experience when trying to build the most healthy merc and getting them at an early stage to do so.

Hope this helps some and I'm still testing it on more characters.
the skill level requirements for merc auras are the same as for players. your merc needs to be a sufficient level to use the skills. a lvl 8 Holy Freeze merc can't use his aura because the aura has a level req of 18.

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member

trying to build the most healthy merc and getting them at an early stage to do so.
Hire your merc at lvl 2 or lvl 90, it doesn't matter. Only what difficulty you hire from matters.

And new from 1.11 now ANY merc is 1-5 levels lower than your character, never less, so you don't have to level much at all.

thegiantturtle

Diabloii.Net Member

It's also the case that the auras don't turn on in a game until the merc has been hit once. Can be annoying for mf-runs :)
Bull. Turning on an aura is an attack. You just need to wait for your merc to use the "turn on my aura" attack.

shmEk

Diabloii.Net Member

the skill level requirements for merc auras are the same as for players. your merc needs to be a sufficient level to use the skills. a lvl 8 Holy Freeze merc can't use his aura because the aura has a level req of 18.
I thought this was the case... I levelled my holy freeze merc to about level 36 and still no holy freeze aura. Was totally frustrating and disappointing. Only solution was to buy him over and then the aura came on right away when in combat.

Hire your merc at lvl 2 or lvl 90, it doesn't matter. Only what difficulty you hire from matters.

And new from 1.11 now ANY merc is 1-5 levels lower than your character, never less, so you don't have to level much at all.
Thank you for this post, which is most informative and helpful, thanks for the reply.

shmEk

Diabloii.Net Member

Don't see option to delete this :/ Added second quote to edit above.

BrotherLantern

Diabloii.Net Member

Hmmm, i dont believe this to be true. If your merc dies, and you lvl 10 lvls, then resurrect your merc, he will be at the same lvl as he was when he died, no?

I heard something though, that your merc gains no exp when he is at the same lvl as you? He has to be at least 1 lvl behind to get exp

lionheartthebrave

Diabloii.Net Member

helvete said:
Hmmm, i dont believe this to be true. If your merc dies, and you lvl 10 lvls, then resurrect your merc, he will be at the same lvl as he was when he died, no?
helvete means any merc HIRED in 1.11/1.12 will be 1-5 lvls lower than yours

As mercs can't be above your level, they gain no EXP when at your character's level to guarantee that