Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mercenary help

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Kleeborp, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Kleeborp

Kleeborp IncGamers Member

Mercenary help

I'm a level 90 FO/ES sorc, and I'm trying to make my lvl 90 Might Aura merc the best he can be, but i'm finding little room for improvement in my budget. I have a 7-6-20 Vampire Gaze on him, an 186 ED ethereal Duriels Shell with 981 def, and a Reaper's Toll socketed with an enhanced defense (edit: Enhanced Damage) jewel, bringing the ED to 263%. He can tank with the best of them, but stone skin and physical immunes can give him trouble. I know I eventually need a Fortitude on him, and probably BoTD or Infinity (waaaay out of my budget) later on, but where else is there room for immediate improvement? This is my first new thread, BTW. Thanks ahead of time for your responses.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  2. Rawness

Rawness IncGamers Member

Re: Mercenary help

I can't really see any room for immediate improvement. You could change around the Auras, but I am guessing you use the merc to get around some immunities, and thus changing from a might merc into a defiance or a frostie wouldn't be such a good option. Insight + Prayer merc is a good option too... Especially with ES.

I could see that a Stone or Duress (ebugged) could improve him; otherwise I am not really seeing anything cheap that could improve his results by a whole lot. Stone would give you alot of defense, but it's a pul+um. Not that cheap anyways, and neither is Duress.

3. Kleeborp

Yeah, I can swing stuff around stone/duress, but nothing that needs any rune above vex. Could be worth the try though.

4. BewareOfLag

BewareOfLag IncGamers Member

Hmmm can beast be used in a polearm? Can't remember, but being that camp gaze is defensive in nature, you could always slap on an eth elite OS helm on him would allow u to have more ed on him. Another option if u are looking to increase his killing speed is to look at giving him some eke damage, increase his AR and/or attack speed. Now sure how ias speed on merc works, but increasing the speed and/or accuracy of attacks might help.
    For example you could give him treachery for the ias and dmg red, and get an OS helm and put ed jewels in it. In theory this would increase the frequency and damage of attacks while giving u damage reduction without a vamp gaze. doesn't toll come with up to 3 open sockets? U said u used 1 ed jewel in the toll...if you have 2 OS left, you can stick some ias, min or max dmg, or ed jewels in there also. An eth dream helm would do wonders for phys immunes, particularly if u could up his ias a breakpoint or two. In addition this would give you an option for dealing with dual cold/physical immunes.

5. Rawness

Rawness IncGamers Member

Beast can't be put into a polearm; and is quiet expensive actually.

getting 120%ed isn't worth losing LL & DR for.

But the treachery idea is quiet good actually. 45 more ias, alot of resistance and 15%dr... but that's if enough enemies hit him. And venom is quiet nice too have along...

6. Kleeborp

Reapers Toll only has 1 socket for me, I used my quest to socket it. It may have the ability to have more. Right now my merc has 74 75 74 74 res. (which is pretty good in hell if you ask me). I like the Damage Reduction of the vamp gaze A LOT, so I think i'm sticking with that. The first thing to get Fortitude would be my bowzon though. Maybe treachery or stone would work well.

7. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

A Reapers will always have only 1 socket (or none, but never more).

8. Kleeborp

Thanks Shanks. Ha. That rhymes with itself. Maybe I could put an IAS jewel in my reapers instead. Is the max IAS in a jewel 15? Can Jewels come with AR as well as IAS?

9. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Treachery in an ebug armor will increase his ias considerably, helping him do lots more damage vs CIs. The CtC Fade will also give him an additional 15% DR when it triggers, plus 60 res, making up for the lost res when dropping Duriels.

Venom's CtC will give you a nice source of poison damage, too, something like 1000 DPS in poison, to help with single-target PIs as well, since your merc's attack rate is fairly close to Venom's 0.4 sec duration.

The major difference would be you're trading CBF for more IAS, DR, Venom, and res, and probably a little less defense too on Treachery.

Also, if you're not using Insight, you might as well be using Obedience. Huge damage, a lot easier to find eth than a Reapers, Enchant will supercharge his AR, and comes with a hefty bonus to CB and resists. Of course you cant break CI/PIs then, but between Static and Venom, those few rare bosses are still feasibly done.

Obedience-Treachery-Vgaze (IAS jewel) is my vote for a more offensive-minded A2 merc that still maintains a little tankability. You'll still occasionally have to yank him out of nasty boss packs, but thats what TP is for :)

10. Kleeborp

I made Obediance before, and I found that reapers toll was much better. I love the decrepify on it, and I don't need the extra damage of enchant to kill things. Also, the extra damage from enchant isn't factored into life steal, but the damage increase from decrepify is. and with 13% life steal from reapers toll, and the 6% steal from vgaze, I want as much physical damage as possible. That was my strategy in using a Might merc in the first place. I think that switching from duriels to treachery will be a good move. Now for a 3os eth bugged armor. What armor should I be looking for? Probably archon plate, because there is no speed penalty. Does the armor speed penalty apply to attack speed as well?

11. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Armor FRW penalties, AFAIK, dont apply to mercs, so ideally the highest-def armor he can wear. AP is still probably the best bet, though, anyway. Since Treachery has no EDef mod and he has no source of other ED like Defiance or Shout, the base armor is less important, really anything over 1000 ebugged will be fine.

And there is no IAS penalty for armor.

12. Kleeborp

So i think we've decided it then. Treachery in an eth bugged Archon plate.

13. Abakus

Abakus IncGamers Member

Treachery in an eth bugged Archon plate is expensive afak

I really think for a sorc the best low budget merc gears are as follows:

Weapon: Obedience on eth thresher
    Helm: andy's face, socketed with a +15 ias +30 fire resist rare jewel, if you can find one. Otherwise a Ral will also do.
    Armor: gladiator's bane, if you can find an eth one that's the best, but non-eth ones will also do. Socket it with +damage + 15 ias jewel or plane +Ias jewel.

The total cost of the gears listed above combined (assuming you choose the low-budget options) is probably cheaper than a eth reaper, but works much better in most occasions. Just my $0.02

14. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

obedience isnt that good.. the only weapon that can compete with reaper's is botd.. and that is even only on low phys res monsters

15. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

Obedience is a bucket load cheaper atm, at least on Eu Ladder, plus it makes use of the crud runes that don't do much else (apart from Hel ofc).

16. droid

droid IncGamers Member

If you're going with Gbane then I recommend socketing the armor and helm with Sol instead. Gbane by itself is only up to 20, which isnt actually going to make that big a difference in Hell. 34 is still not great, but you'll see much more of an effect. If you're only using Gbane for the CBF, I'd recommend upped Duriel's instead since it also has +armor and res and +life and +str

17. Abakus

Abakus IncGamers Member

nah dude if you take the route I suggested , Duriel's shell doesn't compete with GBane at all. Obedience has +all resist so the resist mods on Duriels' are wasted. there's a minimal difference / effect of defense anyway. The crucial thing here is not the damage mitigation from SOL or whatever, it is the FHR. Also you want another +30 ias in addition to andy's 20 to reach the next breakpoint for the thresher.

18. Abakus

Abakus IncGamers Member

also btw to OP:

Might aura for sorc's merc is kinda wasted, espically since you take the FO route. IMO all cold-related sorc should use defiance merc because that's the one that actually benefit the dual.

My cold tal's set sorc with Stormshield has 9000 defence when the merc's aura is on. And I'm wearing a very crappy tal armor. You can easily break 10k if you have better gears. 9k vs. 4k does make a big difference on survivalbility.

19. droid

droid IncGamers Member

I still disagree. If all you're after is FHR, then an ebug Treachery has 20 FHR and 45 IAS to boot. No CBF, but the huge IAS offsets the penalty when chilled, plus gives you a bonus when not chilled too. And Fade + Venom is obvious.

Are you HC? SS on a Tal's sorc seems very conservatively defensive, and Defiance might make sense then. You shouldn't be getting hit that often anyway, you have a meat shield and teleport. Might isn't really a waste anymore than Defiance...more damage means better leeching for your merc, and also faster kills when you run into dual immunes.

20. Abakus

Abakus IncGamers Member

I think we were comparing GBane to Duriels? I didn't say treachery is bad, I just said it can be expensive (the ebuged armor)

Might is a waste in the sense that your char (sorc) get zero benefit from the aura, which is supposed to help a group. Yes, your merc may kill faster, but he also dies faster, expecially against melee unique monsters.