Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mercenary for paladin?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Anabiii, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Anabiii

Anabiii IncGamers Member

Mercenary for paladin?

so i just wanted to know if there is any particular merc good for zealer?

(new to diablo so sorry for noobish questions :p)

2. Nimbostratus

Nimbostratus IncGamers Member

Re: Mercenary for paladin?

It depends on what you need most.

No problems?
    -Act 2 Guard (Nightmare Offensive) for more damage from his Might aura.
    -Act 1 Rogue (either kind) for ranged support, or if you don't feel like babysitting/gathering gear for a melee merc.

Trouble hitting things?
    -Act 2 Guard (Normal/Hell Offensive) for Blessed Aim.
    -Act 1 Rogue (either kind) for Inner Sight. Though it's not as reliable since they have to constantly cast it. And note that the character screen doesn't take note of the drop in enemy defense, so it'll still show the same chance to hit.

Getting hit too much?
    -Act 2 Guard (Normal/Hell Defensive) for Defiance. Note that defense only helps against melee and bow/arrow attacks. Spells are always 100% chance to hit.
    -Act 2 Guard (Nightmare Defensive) for Holy Freeze, which will slow down the rate of incoming attacks.
    -Act 3 Sorcerer (Cold) for his freezing spells.

Don't like using potions and don't have much life leech?
    -Act 2 Guard (Normal/Hell Combat) for Prayer, which regenerates life. If you equip him with an "Insight" polearm, the Meditation aura will regen mana and further boost the life regained.

3. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

Also Act1 and Act3 mercs can help you with physical immunes and won't die to Iron Maiden, so if you don't have those solutions then those mercs can help you there.

Albeit mercs are a bit unreliable as an IM solution.

4. Scudstorm

Scudstorm IncGamers Member

Take the Normal difficulty mercs if you can (that is, unless you want a specific aura on a NM merc).

5. Anabiii

Anabiii IncGamers Member

thx for the replies :)

for the moment im using act 3 merc cold so i can just gather lots of mobs around me and finish them off pretty fast :) however iron maiden is i think some kind of big misunderstanding -.- even on normal difficulty i can die 1 hit >.<!

ill try other mercs soon :)

6. seque

seque IncGamers Member

What Merc would you choose if it should specifically deal with Iron Maiden?

7. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

I don't think mercs are reliable enough to deal with OK's...might attack something else...I'd rather get an anti-IM solution myself. There's lots of weapons like Gimmershred, Demon's arch, Dream, Windforce etc, but I find that the most effective method is to just be careful. :thumbsup:

8. Noite Escura

Noite Escura IncGamers Member

I my (now) non-ladder Zealot I used an Act 1 merc with Harmony for added mobility and additional dmg source against PIs (I would switch to Gimmershred and attack together). I tried Witchwild String which is great for the 100% Deadly Strike, but it's a bit dangerous, as the CTC Amp can override Life Tap.
    I heard and Act 1 Cold merc with Ice Bow can be pretty effective against PIs and IM.

9. vidluft

vidluft IncGamers Member

u could try act2 merc defensive (or any other with doom runeword cv or cryptic axe) nightmare becouse i think that u already got one aura and just need to make enemies slower

but my favourit is act3 merc cold with azurewrath that makes undead knockback all the time and some dmg but if ur planning go act5 alot this one is crap couse 70% in act5 is cold immune (hell) so he wont even beable to kill hell witch the ball shooting ****

10. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

For one thing the Doom runeword is not attractive to me, cause I can't find the runes (cham) and I dont wanna trade for dupes.

On the other hand... I was trying to decide between act1 cold and act 3 cold mercs. They both have advantages and disadvantages.

Act 3 cold pros:
    - best with an Avenger, since Conviction will really boost his damage
    - will slow/freeze many monsters.
    - High defense and resists possibe due to shield and Frozen Armor

Act 3 cold cons:
    - not helpful against Cold immunes if you don't use Conviction, and even then, only marginally helpful.
    - not sure if their damage gets high enough, and its not easy to Boost (Doom doesn't work on Swords)

Act 1 (cold) pros:
    - versatile, 2-3 types of damage (consider cold with Kuko bow)
    - nice bows available to really boost them, can kill very fast in lower diff

Act 1 (cold) cons:
    - not as strong, lower defense and resists (they need good armor - smoke, stone, duriel's)
    - cant freeze packs of monsters, their cold arrow only slows down.
    - if you play more erratic (charger) they can get stuck in the middle of a pack of monsters and die (no shields, and they don't fire, they try to escape)

This being said, I think the Act 3 cold are definitely the way to go if you use conviction, otherwise... Fanaticism and Riphook or Skystrike on Act1 gals is really fun to watch for a chance:grin: it's like having your own "zon" around.

The act 2 Mercs are the second ones, IMO, they have the auras, but you also have auras... the melee paladin can use some range support!

Not sure about hdins, I've never played one, probably a guy with Insight for mana and heal would be good, anyway, Hdins probably don't need anyone else not even mercs, party, anything... or so I've heard (they do need enigma though :rolleyes:)