Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mercenary Exp. and Leveling.

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Valchrist, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Valchrist

Valchrist IncGamers Member

Mercenary Exp. and Leveling.

Not really a newcomer, but this is a newcomer kind of question, because I haven't been using mercs until recently.

I know Mercs gaining exp. is really touchy according to their level, but how touchy is it? If I have a lvl15 merc, should I still be having him clear the Far Oasis, or will hitting the lvl20 in the Arcane Sanctuary and Tal Rasha tombs be a faster process?

Also, for clarification, they recieve 3x the exp for killing monsters? And how much am I getting from their kills?

Thanks.

2. Valchrist

Valchrist IncGamers Member

Orrrrrr if someone could just refer me to a FAQ where this is answered...

3. Icarus

Icarus IncGamers Member

i think mercenarie receive one third the experience that you do. but you get full exp if they get the kill.

they also should level up with you, so if you hire one in act2 normal at lvl 12, then he should level up with you. sometimes i know it doesnt work too well. not sure why.

4. Leto`

Leto` IncGamers Member

In my experience I think if the monster levels differs more than 5 levels the exp that is gained by merc is significally lower, I'm not sure bout the exact number but I think it's 5. And he doesnt really level up with you, only if he is alive always when you are with him and when he started at the same level you do, but that's not always the case.

Don't try baalruns to level the merc when he is lvl 18 or something, that will really not work ;)
    There is also a big difference in act5, monster levels in bloody or world stone differs more than 5 levels (also in nightmare, not sure in hell ;) )

Only thing to find out is let him kill some monsters on his own and compare actually.

Greetz

5. Arbit

Arbit IncGamers Member

I have some rudimentary questions about mercs, too. A faq would be very helpful. Or someone could answer my questions here!

-Do Act2 mercs aura's improve with levels?
    -I heard somewhere that mercs get better bonuses if you hire them at low level and level them up yourself (for example hire a normal blessed aim merc and level him from there vs. hiring a hell blessed aim merc). Is this true?

The reason I ask this is because I think my druid would be better off with more damage or attack rating rather than the thorns aura, but he's lvl 71 and I feel bad about letting him go :(. Without good reason anyway.

6. Leto`

Leto` IncGamers Member

Yes it is better to hire your merc as low as possible (normal gives slightly better bonuses). There is a reference on www.diabloii.net, look under Mercenaries and there are all the stats of the mercs hired at normal/nightm/hell.

That should cover most of your questions ;)

And yes the aura level increases with level, and I think they benefit from + skills also.

7. Fercil

Fercil IncGamers Member

Yes mercs auras improve with levels, +all skills items also improve those auras. They also get slightly better stats if you bring them from normal instead of hell, the difference isn't huge but it's there anyway and if you're going for normal/hell merc you'll probably want him by your side during the way up to act2 hell anyway.

edit: a minute late...

8. warlock_666

warlock_666 IncGamers Member

A good way i have found is to get and act 2 NM merc (usually the best IMO) and not try and actively level him at all. he will go up steadily but slowly in lvl. He may fall behind you quite a bit but when you get to act 1 hell, take him into the pit and he will level about twice every game. Well, mine does and hes not even using his decent gear yet. In 5 more lvls he will be able to kill down there and lvl much quicker.

This also worked by lvling my Barb's act 5 hell merc and he is know lvl 90 like my Barb himself.