Mercenary equipment in D3

popenfresh

Diabloii.Net Member
Mercenary equipment in D3

I know Blizz hasn’t released any info about the mercenaries in D3 yet but I figured it would be fun to speculate anyway. Now I was just thinking how cool it would be to see your merc’s look change too as you equip him with new gear. Mercenaries in D2 always had the same standard look and players couldn’t really tell whether they were butt-naked or geared up with epic ethereal equipment (except for the occasional runeword aura ofc). I even had trouble knowing which merc was mine in big parties. So I just thought it would be a fun and new way of character customization to have your merc his look evolve throughout the game as well.

So, are there any other fun things about mercs we could speculate about?

Moonfrost

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Mercenary equipment in D3

Merc specializations/builds.

Currently in D2 the player must hire a specific type of merc to get the skill/aura/element they want their merc to use. Instead, we could have a simplistic tree that lets us choose which skills to specialize in.

For instance, say that you hire an Act 1 rogue merc. Instead of hiring a cold/fire/lightning rogue, you'd just hire a rogue. Then you'd get, say, three points to spend on either cold, fire or lightning arrow. Each point would increase the skill's damage by 50%, so you could put all points into one skill (e.g. 150% damage fire arrow), but you could also put one point in each skill if you wanted to.

This could then be extended to other types of mercs, obviously, and some other basic skills could perhaps be added too (aggro, survivability, buffs/debuffs etc).

Visible equipment would be very nice too, but as always it's best to keep all merc systems fairly simple, so as to not detract from the player's own character, which should be the focus of all character progression.

Malaterre

Diabloii.Net Member

Personally, I hope we won't mercenaries at all... but that is another matter.

I do not think they will give a look that changes with the equipment the mercenary is wearing. They already mentioned that they are drawing all the different armors for different classes or sex with a different look. It would be a lot of work to add this for mercenaries. Perhaps it would possible to have at least the weapon shown.

Another possibility would be to have different (many) possible looks for your mercenary and to choose it among a large list. So no evolution with the equipment but at least a choice.

For example, in Lotro, you can have a mercenary for certain parts of the game. You cannot equip it but you can choose his classe (among 5-6), race (among 4), sex, costumes (among many, probably at least 20), hair color... I do not think the hair color would be available in D3, but many different mercenaries aspects could be present and could be chosen independently of the "class" of the mercenary.

TurkeysX

Diabloii.Net Member

Merc specializations/builds.

Currently in D2 the player must hire a specific type of merc to get the skill/aura/element they want their merc to use. Instead, we could have a simplistic tree that lets us choose which skills to specialize in.

For instance, say that you hire an Act 1 rogue merc. Instead of hiring a cold/fire/lightning rogue, you'd just hire a rogue. Then you'd get, say, three points to spend on either cold, fire or lightning arrow. Each point would increase the skill's damage by 50%, so you could put all points into one skill (e.g. 150% damage fire arrow), but you could also put one point in each skill if you wanted to.

This could then be extended to other types of mercs, obviously, and some other basic skills could perhaps be added too (aggro, survivability, buffs/debuffs etc).

Visible equipment would be very nice too, but as always it's best to keep all merc systems fairly simple, so as to not detract from the player's own character, which should be the focus of all character progression.
I agree, this way you can choose how best to compliment your own play style. However, like you said I wouldn't like it to go too far as to be a requirement that you NEED to defeat say a powerful boss because you needed a prayer aura to keep your health up.

Occulus cant be ethereal

Diabloii.Net Member

Wasnt there speculation that you may be able to hire more than 1 merc?

Anyway, I dont believe you should have to equip your merc to allow him/her to survive. To make gold more relevant you can hire mercs and the price is based on their skill, a godly merc being the most expensive. The gear and skills should come with the service.

A rebuttal may be that equipping a merc with something may make the merc do specific tasks. However, if the merc system becomes more complex, they can then have an action grid so you can choose what you want your merc (with various skills) does during what times ie. attack, use a special skill, or defend. Perhaps some mercs may have some skills that no other player class has.

Back to "hiring" mercs with gold, since you may choose to hire different mercs for certain quests, there then has to be a time factor when the merc is relieved from duty. Of course you can also lay off your merc early.

Of course this system is a lot more complex than the D2 hire for life, level with you, and equip but it is doable. The only question would be how many different types of mercenaries is enough for game variety?

phaolo

Diabloii.Net Member

Personally I don't like very much the mercs.
I'm a lone player, so I prefer to survive completely on my own.

In D2, then, the mercs were stupid and weak for 90% of the time (and expensive).
We'd need at least commands to decide their general behaviour or to call them back when they happily run into danger.

Summons are well accepted, however, because they spawn from your magic skills.

Slasher

Diabloii.Net Member

Unless they vastly improve the mercenary AI and controls in D3 I'd rather not even have them. I'd rather blizzard spent time on something else I'd actually do and enjoy.

Otherwise I think the looks changing with equipment would be standard. I'd like to think so anyway.