Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mercenary dying to council

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by shazbot, Jul 10, 2010.

1. shazbot

shazbot IncGamers Member

Mercenary dying to council

I have a lvl 87 merc outfitted with a reaper's toll and a helm with 7% life leach. He has 75 resists to all, but whenever I run the council in Tranvincial, he always dies to the mass hydras. What am I missing here? He doesn't have problems anywhere else, it's just the council.

2. Bronx

Bronx IncGamers Member

Re: Mercenary dying to council

Yeah, those hydras seem to deal extra damage to mercenaries.
    You can try to equip your merc with "Fire Absorb" and "Magic Damage Reduced" items to keep him alive. 20 MDR Gladiators Bane (27 with a Mal rune if you are rich) can help.

3. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Two probable options:

-One of the council spawned with Conviction, which will wipe out those resists pretty quick
    -He actually got Amped (even worse, Amped with a Might- or Fanat-enchanted Councilor), and it wasnt the hydras but physical damage that killed him.

Also, what's his physical resist? You said a LL helm, but not Vgaze. And whats his armor? Treachery+Tals or Treachery+Vgaze is my suggestion for a merc in Trav.

Lastly, a merc just wont be able to tank the entire Council by himself...you cant just send him in and spam attack spells. If you're sending him in against all of them at once, and not giving him any support (purple potions, or TPing him out when his life gets low), then yes he's going to die :)

The council are considered superuniques, not bosses, so they dont get a bonus to damage vs mercs like the act bosses do. However, the skill Hydra was boosted in 1.13, so they benefit from those changes and their Hydras do more damage than last patch...same is true in Throne Wave 3 too.

4. michaeljay

michaeljay IncGamers Member

My souped up Zealot needs lifetap to stay alive. A merc has no shot. You're guaranteed to run into a combination of brutal mods like amplify damage and a might aura. You're being spammed not only by hydras but by the council's physical/lightning attack.

5. shazbot

shazbot IncGamers Member

Ah, thanks for all the responses. I didn't realize the council would be so tricky. How do I find out what my merc's physical resists are? I've traded for a Vamp gaze, so hopefully that damage reduction will help. What's the difference between magic damage reduced and damage reduced? Are they mutually exclusive?

So regarding armor, is it true that defense for a merc doesn't matter, and what I should look for is just good mods?

I'm an IK barb, so the council doesn't pose a threat to me. It's just annoying to pay 50k each time I run it because my merc keeps dying. For some reason, most of the time even though I'm attacking the council with WW, they like to ignore me and attack the merc. But yeah, I've noticed that when he's amped he pretty much goes down immediately, whereas when he's not, he tends to die while I'm mid-whirl and can't toss him a rejuv. Too bad there isn't a command to just tell him to stay in town and wait it out.

6. IncubatorJones

IncubatorJones IncGamers Member

I have a merc with Vamp (19% dr) and Treachery (15% dr from Fade) and he still dies unless life tap activates from draculs. One solution is to buy a life tap wand. Or do like I do, go hide in the durance level 1 for a while if the going gets too hot :girly:

7. droid

droid IncGamers Member

There's only a few pieces of equip that grant your merc % phys damage reduction....Shaftstop (30%), Vgaze (15-20%), and Fade on Treachery grants 15%. Thats probably the only places you're likely to get some from. There's a 50% cap.

MDR reduces any magic damage (fire, light, cold, magic, not poison). PDR reduces any physical attack....there's integer PDR, which just cuts a flat number off each attack, and %PDR, which reduces it by a percentage, basically physical resist.

Def does matter, especially since they can wear eth armor.

If you're a WW barb, then you'll have one point in Leap. You can use that to try and take the heat off your merc; if he's getting swarmed, Leap in right on top of him. It'll knock the nearby Councilors back for a moment, and force them to retarget...some will retarget you instead of your merc. There's actually a build that maxes Leap, since with a wide radius it can be used to perma-stun entire rooms.

And yes, ducking down the stairs to Durance 1 is an effective alternative to Teleport for pulling your merc out of trouble instantly. Councilors have no natural health regeneration according to Arreat Summit, so even if you sit down there for a few moments you're not losing any progress on killing them.

8. breened

breened IncGamers Member

A Steel Shade socketed with a Mal would probably be a good option if you don't particularly need the life leech and damage reduction from the Vampire Gaze.

9. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

GA+Um, a helm with enough res to max it (Tal's+Um) and a weapon with %ed, IAS and maybe additional leech, CB and/or CS will probably do an excellent job. Kira's will also offer enough extra res to protect him from occasional conviction auras, but it has no leech.

10. wickedswami

wickedswami IncGamers Member

Only go to travincal if you plan on running it for a long time, leave your merc dead for it. (you said yourself that you didn't need it)

Or:
    Use taunt & other warcries to keep him alive. Leap can also help.

On defense, there's 2 ways to go, either don't bother, or go all out. Don't bother= 700 defense armor isn't better then a 10 defense one.

All out= ethereal bugged armors with 1K+ armor, and defiance aura.

Anything in between is a bad option imo. Of course, there's no reason NOT to get a higher def armor, but I don't see the point in paying for one. (in the "don't bother" scenario that is)

11. daneBO

daneBO IncGamers Member

I know some people like to go the DR route, but using an ebugged fort, and Ral'd Andarial helm usually works best - imo. Not the cheapest, but not too expensive either. Finding or trading for a LO will give you something to play for.

I think your issue is more in your merc's weapon. Its not doing enough damage to leech health. A cheap obedience might be better and it offers 30 resists too. Get your life leach from Andy and that will free up your choices for a wep.:thumbup: