Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mercenary - buy at low level, or high?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Taniniver, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Taniniver

Taniniver IncGamers Member

Mercenary - buy at low level, or high?

I am building a new sorc, and she will be using a Holy Freeze merc.

I want him to be as strong as possible, but am a bit confused by something in the mercs FAQ here:

-------------------------------------------

Is it better to hire a new mercenary every now and then, or continue resurrecting my first mercenary?

By far the type who "grow up with you" will be stronger and better, due to having leveled over time.

-------------------------------------------

So, if I bought a merc of say level 25, and levelled him myself to 90, would he have any different stats to if I bought a merc of level 47 (hired in the same difficulty, both act 2 NM defensive), and levelled him to 90?

Thanks for any replies

2. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

AFAIK, the "growing up" only works difficulty by difficulty, not level by level. So the best thing to do would be purchase the highest level act2 NM def merc, and level him to high levels. Note that because you wanted a holy freeze aura, you have to buy the NM merc anyways, so he would have to grow with you.

Resurrection is the best thing for a mercenary. My merc becomes a part of me after a while, I could never replace him. Plus, if I did, I would lose all the equipment I had set him up with. I would also lose all those levels I gained for my NM merc. So, no, don't buy a new one every time he dies, it's better to just ressurect.

3. Taniniver

Don't worry, I wasn't considering replacing him :)

My current sorc is level 91, and her holy freeze merc is also 91. He uses Gaze with Um, Glad's Bane and Viperfork with Amn.

I was just considering though, with my new sorc, if I should get into NM ASAP (like, level 21) and hire the new merc, or wait until I am already fairly high level (40+) and then hire him.

Would I in fact get different level mercs offered depending upon my character level?

I checked with my 91 sorc in NM, and they were offered at level 43-47.
    Would a level 21 character just entering NM act 2 also have them offered at that level, or lower?

4. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

You cannot purchase a merc with level higher than yours, so I would wait until level 47 so you can purchase a level 47 merc (highest you can buy in act 2 nm).

5. ogz

ogz IncGamers Member

sorry cannot answer u, but..

i suggest u hire a merc in normal, write down its stat after it lvs up
    then hire another merc of the same lv, and compare..

shouldn't take too long

if u want to be extra sure u can lv him up a few times to test

6. Rohrim

Rohrim IncGamers Member

buy them at a low lvl and lvl them up...if you compare a lvl 30 merc who was raised from a lvl 12 merc...and one that was bought at lvl 30.....there is a huge differance in stats.....try it

7. alainpp66

alainpp66 IncGamers Member

The lvl21 char would only see mercs at lvl21... no higher. (Basically what Mr.Evil said)

As far as leveling a merc to increase his stats... That's wrong. Level at which he is hired/acquired makes no difference.

The only thing that varies a merc's stats, is the Type of Merc and the Difficulty (Normal, Nightmare, Hell) in which he's hired.

Anyone who says differently has played too much pokémon.

8. Taniniver

Now I don't know what to beleive, I have totally conflicting information in the same thread...

Is there anyone here who has actually examined the game mechanics, anything like that, who can say for CERTAIN?

And yes, people are correct - I got into NM act 2 at level 21, and all the mercs for hire were level 21. I got one for now, but I could always replace him once I reach level 47, if it's confirmed that levelling my current one will NOT give him any better stats.

In fact, now that I have him, with a little help from people here, we could clear this up right now.

He is currently level 21, and with no equipment has:

40 life
    75 strength
    54 dexterity
    10-22 damage
    13 defense
    45 res all (in norm)

Note this is a NM Act 2 Defensive merc, we must compare like for like.

Could someone who is not much over that level and doesn't have a merc they want please hire a similiar merc, and post his level and stats?

Then I will level my merc, note the changes, and work out if he would have the same stats when he has levelled up to the same as the other.

Thanks

9. sangfagel

sangfagel IncGamers Member

Tanivier, alainpp66 is right... These guys played pokemons too much :D

If you would use might- or defiance- merc you would have a choice: NORMAL or HELL and you would do better taking one in NORMAL and developing him than taking one high lvl in HELL.

Becouse you consider HF merc only, you have no choice and MUST equire him in act 2 NIGHTMARE. In this case his lvl when you hire him does not matter.

10. Vizier

Vizier IncGamers Member

Alain is correct (if you didn't already notice his 5,000 posts!)

There was a nice 1.09 chart listing each merc's stats for each level but I don't have the link. Maybe someone else can post it if it's of any interest.

11. Taniniver

Yeah, I noticed the number of posts, but I don't like to rely on that alone as a judge of how much someone knows about the game. He has only been registered here since 22-06-2003 (not that I have been here that long :rolleyes: )

But since the information has now been confirmed by two other people, I'll forget about this useless merc and hire another one when I am level 47.

Thanks for the info everyone :thumbsup:

12. sangfagel

Register dates are corupted - even for oldest and most expirienced members the system shows "registered since xx-06-2003". This information is just not correct. :teeth:

13. Boooyakasha

Boooyakasha IncGamers Member

There is an 'anti-rush' feature, or bug, that if you buy your merc at too low level from NM onwards, they will have insanely low HP (40 Life).

14. Taniniver

I see. It DID seem very low life for such a merc, they normally have a lot. IIRC, my level 91 one has over 2000 life.

Anyway, in case anyone is interested, I hired the merc again at level 47, then levelled him up a bit in NM cows. He is level 59 now I think, and doing OK.

15. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

They're not corrupt, just wrong. I have been here since march 2001 and problably longer, but around that time there was a forum crash. I just don't remember...
    June 2003 was the third forum crash.

16. Magos

Magos IncGamers Member

Might mercs are also NM only

Normal and Hell Difficulties:

Combat - Prayer
    Offensive - Blessed Aim
    Defensive - Defiance

Nightmare Difficulty:

Combat - Thorns
    Offensive - Might
    Defense - Holy Freeze

17. sangfagel

Thanx for your correction. You are of course right.