Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mercenaries

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by SilkenKidden, Apr 6, 2004.

1. SilkenKidden

SilkenKidden IncGamers Member

Mercenaries

I have a nice level 17 merc archer from Act 1. I kept her with me through all of Act 2.

But at the end of Act 2 when I asked for help with Duriel, someone (sorry I forget your handle) said I should trade in my Act 1 merc for an Act 2 merc. However by that time all the 'for hires' were at level 11 or less while my archer was at level 17. But the Act 2 merceneraies were fighters. I did save my save and tried one out, but he wasn't much better than the archer against Duriel, so I restored (manually-I have Diablo save/load .bats!)

Now I'm at the beginning of Act 3. The mercenaries seem to be all sorceresses. I think I will trade in the archer for a sorceress.

Questions:

What's the best strategy for mercenaries?

Should we get a new one each act?

Or should we find one that has different skills than our NPC and keep him/her? Should I have a high level fighter instead of hiring another sorceress?

2. whiteknight0916

whiteknight0916 IncGamers Member

I'm not an expert, but a good idea is to have a tank work with a range user.
    As a Sorc an act 2 Merc will provide a tank. It might be best to get and act 2 Defensive Merc. He has Defiance Aura which will help your defence. Consider eather getting the Act 2 Merc and leveing him up, or keeping the Act 1 merc until act 5 and get a Barbarian, but I would conside getting the Act 2 Merc now. He will help alot

3. Nathanjk

Nathanjk IncGamers Member

Yea act 2 or act 5 is the way to go. Act 2 holy freeze is probably your best bet.

4. SilkenKidden

Ok, I went back for an Act 2 merc, but what do you mean by Act 2 holy freeze?

There's a defensive guy named Fazel (level 13) and another named Zanarhi (level 10). I'll go for Fazel.

What's holy freeze? It isn't a cold spell.

5. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

go to www.battle.net/diablo2exp and you can find information about mercs and skills. Holy freeze is a paladin aura that causes monsters to slow down, but is not cold, so it does affect cold immunes.

there are 6 different types of act 2 mercs. normal and hell are the same, nightmare a2 mercs are generally considered the best.

Right now, your choices are:
    offensive: which gives you blessed aim.
    defensive: which gives you defiance.
    combat: which gives you thorns.

these skills might not mean anything to you right now, and these skills aren't considered very helpful anyway. i usually go with blessed aim, and give him the best wep offered from the stores.

feel free to try them all out and see what they do.

since you can't get nightmare mercs at the moment anyway, we can save that discussion for later, or you can read the website's information (we usually call it Arreat Summit, or AS for short. it's blizz's official homepage for diablo 2.)

6. SilkenKidden

Thanks. I took the defensive guy and he was casting something that put a blue glow around my character's feet. I'll look up the mercenaries on the web. Maybe they are in the book too. That would be a good place for the info. You can't tell much by looking at the NPC or your own stats.

I read in another discussion that your NPC must be within 5 levels of the monsters in order to level up. This guy started out at 13 and he is gaining experience so I guess he will level. I'm staying in act 2 just to train him some. What kind of weapons can he take? He rejects everything I try to give him. Knowing he's a paladin might help with that. What a scrungy looking paladin:)

BTW, I'm playing in normal in single player mode.

Does blessed aim help a sorceress's aim in casting? Or is just for bows? Guess I'd better read that FAQ.

7. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

The blue glow is the actual Defiance aura. And yes, you won't see much differently in your stats screen because the aura level is quite low. When you level the difference will show more.
    Defiance gives you an extra % in defense, increasing to +240% defense at high levels. This will cause you to get hit less, and thus increasing your ability to survive melee and ranged attacks. It does not help with elemental spells though.

As for weapons and gear, an act2 merc can wear Polearm class weapons. To equip them your merc needs to fulfill the Strength, Dexterity and Level requirements to equip it of course, just like a normal character. The Strength and Level requirement also goes for the armour and helm.

And finally just a remark on the Blessed Aim merc. The Blessed Aim aura will not benefit a normal spellcasting sorceress. It will then only help the merc itself. However, it IS usefull for a melee sorceress, but I don't think you want to do that since you're obviously new to being a sorceress.