Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mercenaries/Hirelings

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Reddimus, Jul 11, 2008.

?

What kind of Mercs(if any) do you want to see in D3?

1. A Permanent Merc with some equippable gear

11 vote(s)
    73.3%
  2. A Permanent Merc with no equippable gear

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Temporary Mercs only (no ressurecting)

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. No Mercs at all

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Reddimus

Reddimus IncGamers Member

Mercenaries/Hirelings

Mercenaries were one of my favorite things in D2(X) :cloud9:

I noticed the lack of mercenary topics on some D3 boards, and most that prop up have some negative feelings toward them. I've played since classic's release and never felt that mercs were 'needed' to progress or tilt the game's balance as some arguments suggest, in D2X they were more of an additional way to customize your game and be an extension of your character.

So far in Diablo 3's gameplay video, we can see that there are temporary mercs with their own AI and even scripted events (one runs ahead and sits under a wall to get crushed.)

How do you guys feel?

-A Permanent Merc with some equippable gear
    -A Permanent Merc with no equippable gear
    -Temporary Mercs only (no ressurecting)
    -No Mercs at all

2. Matora

Matora IncGamers Member

Re: Mercenaries/Hirelings

I loved working out how my merc could boost my skelly army and the variety of mercs allowed for other characters to gain benifits as well. The auras on the act two boys was a bit out of balance with others but I'd still like to see their return. Maybe even more than one?

3. Extreem

Extreem IncGamers Member

Mercenaries should definitely be in D3, but with aura mercs they need a nerf and other kinds of mercs need a buff so all are viable.

4. OutdoorsDude

OutdoorsDude IncGamers Member

It'd be nice to have a "few" (like 4) simple commands. Wait, Attack, Magic (?). I always found it annoying that your merc would fight to the death, and short of running away or going to town there was no way to stop him.

Each type of merc definitely needs Pros/Cons that fit well with the characters. If they have aura's make them physically weaker.

It can be a pain, but leveling up your merc versus buying a high level one should provide better benefits than it does now.

Maybe even allow them to carry stuff for you

5. Vulcon

Vulcon IncGamers Member

Agree whole heartedly, the most common rescue/control mechanism I have for my merc is the controversial teleport, to bring him back to me.:wink:

Let him obey me instead of the urge to die, for a change.

6. Sincubus

Sincubus IncGamers Member

I want one that stays and can be upgraded and that levels up on its own, when he/she is killed she may be respawned for a cost. (like in diablo II)

7. Hodl Pu

Hodl Pu IncGamers Member

How about merc interaction? You can gossip with your merc :). Depending how well he trusts you, he talks about better stuff and perhaps he gives you quests like "When I was a kid, I lost my fathers necklace in Flayer Jungle... blah blah." Then you can find it, give it to him, and he gives you a reward.

I also think it would be awesome if you could hear your merc say things randomly "This place is evil".. "Help me!".. "I know this area.. stay clear of the water." Of course you would be the only one able to hear him.

8. AlexanderM

AlexanderM IncGamers Member

While the idea of deeper and more responsive mercenaries is appealing (he's not silent, he's just.. stoic), it drifts further away from Diablo's roots of solo dungeon crawling. While mercenaries are certainly helpful, I think I'd prefer them to be gone, or show up on a purely temporary basis (like in the gameplay video). Micro-managing would be a move toward convenience, but then again it would be nice if -all- minions had some basic commands (protect me, preserve self, offensive). I'd like to see minions only in the hands of pet-using classes. A hardy barbarian should be able to go it alone, even if his friend has an awesome might aura.

I'm not sure if they'll show up or not. They were big enough in D2X that they might be, but the focus toward co-op play might make them less viable in the long run, as the game might more or less force you to group up with other players over NPCs.

9. Hodl Pu

Hodl Pu IncGamers Member

I was forced to group up with other players anyway, even with a merc. To me (with my personal experiences), mercs haven't affected my coop play in any way. But that's just what I've experienced :)

10. Ghoulz

Ghoulz IncGamers Member

Of course, but make them all EQUALLY useful. And be able to give them orders.

"No you @#$%ing idiot! You have Iron Maiden casted on you!"

Maybe more types, like a healer merc that doesn't do too good defending him/herself.

11. Vulcon

Vulcon IncGamers Member

It should be possible to see exactly which skills they have, i.e. do I give my barb merc. a sword with +3 to concentrate?

Why not expend their abilities to have all typical weapons for their class, e.g Bows AND crossbows, One and two handed swords, etc.

Also a command to call them back to you / send them in a direction would be nice :)