Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

mercenar gear

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Swordy, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Swordy

Swordy IncGamers Member

mercenar gear

Level 90 Mercs resists are 56 in Hell.

Any level of Fortitude should get him to cap'd resists, tons of damage for life steal and tons of defense.

I hear people talking about the Dream runeword a lot, but I don't see how it could beat out any Vampire Gaze especially an ethereal one.

Is Doom the best A2 Merc weapon? With Fort + Vamp gaze at least?

2. Kijya

Kijya IncGamers Member

Re: mercenar gear

Dream isn't that good of a merc helm, not sure why you would have heard about it in regards to equipping mercs.

The only time it was discussed for that purpose was when people abused an aura stacking bug that would let them stack multiple holy shock auras on their mercs using dream runewords (500 or so lvl 15 holy shock auras can kill things from aura pulse alone even if each a single aura is rather puny). This specific bug has been fixed as mercenaries now have a cap on their maximum number of auras.

The best merc polearm depends on your build. Infinity is the top for most elemental casters (lightning builds especially), many depend on insight for mana replenish, and pride or reapers are used on physical builds etc.

3. IncubatorJones

IncubatorJones IncGamers Member

From a thread in paladin strategy forums:

I've also heard it works, just haven't tested myself

4. Kijya

Kijya IncGamers Member

That refers to stacking on the player character, which hasn't been fixed as bugged auradins are still around. The "fix" blizzard made was only for mercs.

5. fudoshin

fudoshin IncGamers Member

merc (pala or baba) with dream for foher isnt bad.expecially with nice eth crescent moon (-35%enemy li resistance)is nice killer (although he needs armor with ll in this case).also rogue with faith or some piercing bow should be good...

6. Elyxthaxzus

Elyxthaxzus IncGamers Member

Here's another : A cheap and effective weapon for melee classes is the Reapers toll unique. I really haven't found one better for the price for a melee class. that given, there are tons more options, just look for stats that benefit you.

I tend to go defensive for my mercs ( play HC allot, i depend on them a ton). So when it comes to armor choices, I tend to drop Fort, and stick with an upped shaft or (better yet), a gladiators bane (um or sol rune is nice in there). If you can afford it, CoH is nice, but resists that high aren't necessarily needed unless yoru fighting ubers.

I know of a few MF guides that recommend a low level poley with slow on it to slow down the bosses attacks, such as the kelpie snare. that coupled with high defense is a pretty effective combo for a cheap price.

just pay particular attention to what works well for you. I once had a real nice doom that I decided to try out on my WW barb's merc. after a few levels i went back to the reapers toll, even though it was one half the damage. the decrep, especially in HC hell, was simply too nice of a defensive tool to give up. I killed better and faster and safer overall with the reapers and decrep then I did with the doom, even though my merc was doing sick damage with the Doom. So pick based on what works well for you.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010