Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Merc won't level up

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Phyrie, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Phyrie

Phyrie IncGamers Member

Merc won't level up

Hi,
    My husband and I are playing D2 LOD via TCIP/IP games on our tiny network at home. We each have a merc that we got in Lut Golein. I'm not sure what they are; they're the dudes with the pikes and the auras. My guy is levelling up like crazy, keeping up with me (level 42) but my husband's is lagging so far behind he's becoming useless. He's only at level 25 while my hubby's level 42. We only play together, mostly, so I just can't see why my guy levels up and his doesn't. If it makes any difference, I'm an Amazon and he's a Sorceress.

Thanks for your help,
    Phyrie

2. wookie919

wookie919 IncGamers Member

Mercs are very sensitive to monster levels. For example, if your merc is level 20 but the monsters you kill are level 50, your merc won't gain much (any) experience.

Also mercs only gain experience when you or your merc makes the kill. If someone else in your party makes the kill, you will get the experience but not your merc.

Here's a link to the ultimate merc guide:

http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=306061&highlight=merc+levelling

Try using the search function next time you have a question. Chances are, the answers you are looking for are already there. :)

3. teck21

teck21 IncGamers Member

Yeah, I suspect you are making all the kills which is why your mercs levelling and not your H's.

I'm not sure about level 25s, but I find NM cows excellent for levelling mid level mercs.

4. Sunjeet

Sunjeet IncGamers Member

5. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Sometimes the merc doesn't level up, even though he has enough XP. Leave the game and re-enter and his level should get fixed.

6. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

I have an experience that mercs level very slowly until level 25. It's get better and better with the higher level. But if you don't level them, they could get a lot under monster level not taking experience again. Try to level the merc in lower level area. Once he will be close to you, it will be OK. I usually don't bother leveling them, because I hire nightmare A2 merc anyway.

7. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

My merc strategy is as follows:

In normal mode I hire get whatever merc is available and stick to an act 3 cold merc.

In nightmare, mercs die all the time, so I ignore them until my character is about L45, so an act 2 nm merc can wear Gaze, Gris armor and Husoldal Evo or Pierre Tombale Couant (preferably ethereal versions, of course). At that level he gets massive XP in nightmare Baal runs which he will survive most of the time with the mentioned equipment.

Mercs don't get XP from kills made by party members, so if your character himself isn't good at mass-killing monsters in public games, make solo games instead.