Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Merc won't gain life. Normal, or glitch?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Patch Bug Reports & Suggestions' started by SmittySixTen, Oct 16, 2006.

1. SmittySixTen

SmittySixTen IncGamers Member

Merc won't gain life. Normal, or glitch?

I got an Act 2 defense merc in Hell diff when I was at level ~7. He was level 6. I've been leveling him, but he never gains any health. He's currently level 17. His res, stats, and defense all raise but his life is still at 40.

Is this normal or is this a glitch? Thanks in advance to any help people might be able to give.

2. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

It's normal. Hell hired mercenaries are the weakest ones, their stats don't start growing for a few levels. Normal hired mercenaries will have the best stats.

If it's the Defiance aura you want, then re-hire one in Normal - it'll have better stats.

I've said this once before: NEVER hire mercs in Hell difficulty. ALWAYS hire mercs in Normal difficulty UNLESS you need one of the Nightmare auras.

There's a BIG difference in stats at higher levels. Hell mercs have something like 200 less life, 10 less str/dex at higher levels than Normal mercs.

3. dekrikke

dekrikke IncGamers Member

I always heard you had to be a lower lvl to buy a merc, so it gets higher resistance at higher lvls.

So you say that it has nothing to do with the character lvl you are when purchasing one, but the difficulty level? (so strongest - weakest: normal - nightmare - hell) ?

4. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

The only thing that has ever mattered is difficulty level. In 1.10 and before, the mercs that were sold in normal and nightmare had their level capped. If you got to level 80 and wanted to buy a normal act 2 merc, it would only be about level 18, and you would have to level it up. If you bought the same merc in Hell, it could be level 70 or so. Because of this, many strategy guides say that it is better to hire a low level merc than a high level merc.

In patch 1.11, the merc hiring level cap was removed. Now you can hire normal and nightmare mercs up to 1 below your character level at any point.

5. dekrikke

dekrikke IncGamers Member

Ow, that makes sense.
    Thanks!:smiley:

6. nubikoen

nubikoen IncGamers Member

I've been wondering about something. Did they keep the stat difference between normal and hell hired mercs when they removed the level cap?

Those few times I've used a non nm act 2 merc I've always gone back to normal just to be on the safe side, I never did check if there's a difference.
    Someone please enlighten me :)

7. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

Yes. Also note that the displayed life and defense of mercs at the hiring screen is not representative of their actual life and defense when hired.

8. DaemonAkuma

DaemonAkuma IncGamers Member

I hired an Act 2 Might merc in Nightmare when I was lvl 1 and he was lvl2.

He is lvl11 and I am lvl14 and he has yet to use his aura. I have tried all the tricks; unequip and requip his weapon, let him die/ressurect, tried new games, tried letting him get hit a lot...nothing works. He refuses.

Glitchin? Or are there other alternatives I can try?