Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

merc weopon: Reaper Toll vs. Bonehew!!!

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by yangsta, Feb 2, 2004.

1. yangsta

yangsta IncGamers Member

merc weopon: Reaper Toll vs. Bonehew!!!

Which is a better merc weopon?

Suppose buth have same equal ED and even better, ethereal.

Now.. which is a better merc weopon??

The Reaper Toll has:

-Two-Hand Damage: (34-40) To (408-479) (221-259.5 Avg)
    -Required Level: 75
    -Required Strength: 114
    -Required Dexterity: 89
    -Durability: 65
    -Base Weapon Speed: [-10]
    -+190-240% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    -Ignore Target's Defense
    -Adds 4-44 Cold Damage
    -11-15% Life Stolen Per Hit (varies)
    -33% Deadly Strike (doubles dmg)
    -33% Chance To Cast Level 1 Decrepify On Striking
    -Requirements -25%

Bonehew has:
    -Two-Hand Damage: (103-117) To (536-609) (319.5-363 Avg)
    -Required Level: 64
    -Required Strength: 195
    -Required Dexterity: 75
    -Durability: 50
    -Base Weapon Speed: [10]
    -+270-320% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    -Level 14 Corpse Explosion (30 charges)
    -Prevent Monster Heal
    -30% Increased Attack Speed
    -50% Chance To Cast Level 16 Bone Spear On Striking
    -Socketed (2)

What do you think?

2. Zenkat

Zenkat IncGamers Member

Theyre both decent merc weapons for sure. My choice has always leaned toward the thresher. The deadly strike, the ITD, the constant spamming of decrepify lets the merc totally destroy packs of monsters. Oh, cant forget the huge life leech it has either. *looks again* ahh, dont forget that ridiculous str requirement on bonehew either. Might have to 'hel' it just so the merc can use it at its available level, whereas at 75, act2 mercs have more than enough str for ReaperToll.

Thresher > Ogre Axe

3. yangsta

yangsta IncGamers Member

Hmm.. true.. I like thresher a lot.. My merc lives a lot longer with it cuz of the decrep/15% life leech. Hes not too shabby at killing either.

But you still gotta consider the 2 sockets/ massive dmg from bonehew.

If I can get an Eth Reaper then that'll be my choice. I'd just shael it and give it a nice IAS boost.

4. Zenkat

Zenkat IncGamers Member

Yes, 2 sockets, but the Thresher can easily have one, so bonehew has an advantage of only one socket over it. Damage wise... 100 min/max more, but you gotta factor in the deadlystrike/decrep effects, since they go off very frequently.

I'll try to figure out my mercs attack here, while botching then numbers i'm sure. (if im wrong on the combined dmg, plz correct me :p)
    My merc when might is active does 3000 damage listed on his screen with a near perfect reapertoll. With possible deadly strike that jab-hit goes to 6000 33% of the time. Now i know you can probably scrounge up some deadly strike for a bonehew merc, but its not as cool as having it right there, 33% laid out for you already.
    Back to the damage, decrep goes off fairly often and will pop onto multiple enemies close to the merc, and will stay for a period of time too (as well as being recast often). This lowers enemy damage resistance by 50% and would let my merc to about 9000 damage (at times) to enemies, assuming they have no damage reduction.

In my opinion even an eth bonehew doesnt have what it takes to keep up with a normal reapertoll, and an eth reapertoll would be just plain godly.

5. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

I've been lucky, finding 4x reapers in the past couple days from meph. Still haven't found an ethereal one though >.<

I'd go toll over bonehew any day. So what if the listed damage isn't as much: what counts is that is outperforms bonehew when you're actually playing the game. gogo reapertoll!

--fatty

6. yangsta

yangsta IncGamers Member

Sounds good! I'm gonna trade for an eth reaper toll now!!!

7. Skip Dalou

Skip Dalou IncGamers Member

So just out of curiosity, where do you guys place the Tomb Reaver in this list of merc weapons? Obviously the stats are variable so it's hard to say, but
    what do ya think anyway?

Two Hand Damage:(101-129) - (452-573)
    Durability:65
    Required Dexterity:103
    Required Strength:165
    Required Level:84
    Base Weapon Speed:[10]
    +(200-280)% Enhanced Damage
    All Resistances +(30-50)
    60% Increased Attack Speed
    (50-80)% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    +4 to Light Radius
    +(150-230)% Damage to Undead
    +(250-350) to Attack Rating against Undead
    10% Reanimate As: Returned
    Sockets(1-3)
    +(10-14) Life After Each Kill

8. Shiva

Shiva IncGamers Member

I got an eth reaper....it for sure pwnz. Is there any else better out there at all? Like runewords and such? I would like a doom cryptic axe. :)

9. portmaster1000

portmaster1000 IncGamers Member

I like the Hone Sundan

It's what my merc currently has and he seems to do alright.

Hone Sundan

Two-Hand Damage: (95-107) To (193-217) (144-162 Avg)
    Required Level: 37
    Required Strength: 101
    Base Weapon Speed: [0]
    Durability: 28
    +160-200% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    Adds 20-40 Damage
    45% Chance of Crushing Blow
    Repairs 1 Durability In 10 Seconds
    Socketed (3)

Not as damaging as either but the Crushing Blow is nice and socketed with ShaelAmnAmn it gives a nice life leech/IAS. For kicks you can put some Rattlecage armor (25% Chance of Crushing Blow) on him too. It was fun to watch him solo the Flayers in Act III, since Rattlecage also has a flee effect =)

PM1K

10. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

I'd only consider it when it has max sockets (ranging from 1 to 3)

Amn-Shael-Shael or Amn-Amn-Shael depending on IAS breakpoints.

11. Verocity

Verocity IncGamers Member

My merc has an ethereal Bonehew with 318%ED. Does like 9xx max damage. He's a might merc, and with his aura on, he does 1649-4999 damage. I socketed it with an Amn and Shael. Duriel's shell is invaluable for its can not be frozen, resists, and Str bonus. Top it off with a 8%LL Vamp Gaze and he is one mean mofo.

That is until those damn Oblivion knights iron maiden him...you can guess what happens then.

Any ways, I think the perfect weapon largely depends on what equipment your merc has as well. Reaper's Toll would be good if you did not have any other source of LL. As long as you can get 15%, you're fine for Hell. Duriel's shell give the nice str bonus so my merc could handle the bonehew earlier in his level. He is 86 right now.

I've never tried Reapers but it has some really strong mods on it. LL, Crit, decrep, and ITD. See what fits best with your gear.

Tomb Reaver beats these both hands down.

12. Zenkat

Zenkat IncGamers Member

True, a Tombreaver fits in for mercs nicely. So do a lot of other weapons as people have pointed out. Personally i'd pick Tombreaver over bonehew anyday, just has the superior stats on it. I'd still pick a reapertoll over the reaver, it just has better stats for a merc specific weapon. Tombreaver is also incredibly hard to find >.<, ive found 3 thresher, 4 ogreaxe, 1 giantthresher even, but no unique cryptic axes...

Even if i manage to find a tombreaver (hopefully an eth 3 socket one) its going on my druid. ed/ias-ed/ias-zod would make for one of the most godly fury weapons ever.
    (but now we're way off the topic of bonehew vs. reaper toll)

13. rickster

rickster IncGamers Member

Tombreaver is an ideal weapon for a merc if you are mfing. Otherwise i'd say an eth reapertroll all the way.

14. cascius

cascius Banned

yeah i got a perfect eth thresher 240ed but like only 11 ll on it. I socketed it with a shael to get my merc to cast his godly decrepify faster. Result: my holly freeze merc rocks. Baal's minions are not slow... They're almost not moving at all. Also, u have to consider that the decrepify is basically double damage at 99% of the time (since my merc casts decrepify with his first jab). So effectively, it's as if my thresher had an average damage of 700 or so... Hard to beat imo.

15. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

I've been wondering what to socket my merc's reaper toll with... so shael gets it to next bp? i wasn't sure whether I'd do shael or amn. The next bp, and having decrep go off sooner certainly gives it the leg up in socketing options.

--fatty

16. Zenkat

Zenkat IncGamers Member

Yeah, a shael will speed it up by half a frame, from like 7.5fpa to 7fpa jab. Add one ias jewel with the shael and he'll hit 6.5fpa.

17. Anksun

Anksun IncGamers Member

Crescent moon is severaly underrated.
    If you are enough rich to get this one on a good weapon for your merc. You just get yourself the best weapon.

Think about it. Your merc will cast 33% of the time level12 STATIC FIELD. Not enough for you? Well he's also going to cast a Chain lightning level17 at 17%... So the monsters are frequently hit by a chain lightning which slow them +static...

On a side note, my sorc merc is using eth reapers since my previous comments only apply for non-lightning sorceress. He's here to help me and since i'm a lightning sorc, he would be on no used with the weapon on lightning enchants like me...

And I would add an ethereal Ariocs is right there with the other weapons mentionned. 475 max damage, add to that +skills AND 50% DEADLY strike! He doing great.

18. st-hearts

st-hearts IncGamers Member

Ethereal Reaper's Toll is a nicer balance of offensive and defensive capabilities. However, I personally prefer my Tomb Reaver over both of those weapons because of the speed, resistances, magic find and chance to raise Returned.

Having an army of Returned tanking minions while Hell Baal'ing is just too funny.

~Hearts~

19. Ghost Makaveli

Ghost Makaveli IncGamers Member

i have both a perf eth bonehew and a perf eth reapers. now, dispite the fact the bonehew does almost 300 more damage, the decriptify, itd, leech, and deadly strike most definately make the reapers my favored one

and yes, i own a eth tomb reaver (near perf, its perf ed, perf res)

its good as well, but it still doesnt compare to my reapers =)

20. asdfghjkl

asdfghjkl IncGamers Member

I believe Crescent Moon runeword has been adjusted to cast Static Field 7% of the time, instead of the beta's 33%.

Regards to the topic, Repear's Toll is more helpful than Bonehew simply because of the chance to cast Decrepify.