Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Merc Weapon

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by sjw7, Jun 6, 2005.

1. sjw7

sjw7 IncGamers Member

Merc Weapon

Hi all

I have finaly got my Nightmare Act 2 Deffensive merc some decent armor (Stone) but he is only using a Woestaff at the moment and he may as well be poking the enimies with a broom handle for all the damage he is doing.

Can some one recommend a good weapon for him that is cheap. I am talking prices up to a maximum of an Ist as thats probably the most i could rustle up being rather poor.

Obviously charitable donations would be greatfully recieved :p but im only really after suggestions on what to buy/look for.

Cheers

Sjw7

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

IMO there is no need to spend an Ist rune for a merc weapon. BTW, if you can afford to spend an Ist rune for merc equipment, I don't think you need any donations :p

For leveling, I recommend Husoldal Evo, preferably an ethereal version, helm=Gaze, armor=Griswold's with 3 IAS jewels in it. At L75, switch to Reaper's Toll which costs perhaps 10 pgems. No further changes are necessary IMO. I often exchange Gaze by Tals helm or Crown of Thieves because I need the Gaze for leveling the next merc :)

3. Bert

Bert IncGamers Member

Also a bonehew is nice with 2 Amn runes for 14 % ll.

Bert

4. sjw7

sjw7 IncGamers Member

Thanks Krischan. I had no idea what the weapons would cost so Ist was just a guess. I will have a look for a reapers toll as he is level 84. I also have an empty griswolds so can try to get some jewels for it.

Thanks for the info.

5. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

reapers toll is great, chance to cast decrepify is useful for everything except necros... It also has nice ll, so no need to fix it elsewhere.
    Another favorite of mine though is to use Tomb Reaver, but it comes at lvl84.

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

If it's a merc for a necro or if your character curses your enemies with something (e.g. lifetap with Dracul's Grasp), Reaper's will override your own curses all the time. Better use a different weapon then, like an upgraded Kelpie Snare (the ultimate act boss killer - slows enemies hit by 75%), Tomb Reaver, Arioc's, Bonehew or a rare, big damage polearm or spear.

7. Rehsa

Rehsa IncGamers Member

insight runeword is pretty cheap granted you can find a polearm with 4 slots. it's good until you get really high lvl because it has no life leech. get a gaze or something instead for the LL and it can do wonders. i was lucky to find an ok low lvl polearm weapon and socketed it to 4 slots. not the best damage, but not the worst. eth bill, used a socket quest for 4 sockets, put in insight, now my sorc doesn't run out of mana (except when teleporting -_-)

8. Angelclaw

Angelclaw IncGamers Member

My sorc rarely loses 10 points of mana when her merc has Insight. Even when teleporting.

IMO, the best cheap equipment your merc can get is Insight in Collosus Voulge (easily gotten in Cow Lvl Hell), Stone in some decent Elite armor, and Andys Mask. :thumbsup:

9. Rice_Farmer3

Rice_Farmer3 IncGamers Member

if you are on ladder, there are so many choices like reaper's toll, insight and stuff.
    if you are on nonladder, i'd say go for bonehew, although that is when you merc is lvl 61 and has 195 Str. Eth bonehews are way better but it goes way above 1 ist. although 195 str seems a lot, it is easily achieved by giving him gris armor with 3 P amethysts and a helm tht gives to Str. like guillaume's face. so if you are on nonladder, you prety much have to wait a little bit for the optimum weapon, but if you meant lvlling weapon, there are lots. go to a website that has list of unique items (like diablo11.com, or arreat summit) and loook up normal and exceptional polearms/spears and take your pick.
    EDIT: looking at all those people talking insight, i guess you are on Ladder. NVM all the stuff i said. :lol:

10. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Ethereal Honor Mancatcher
    Ethereal Honor Cryptic Axe
    Ethereal Honor *Insert elite weapon here with 5 sockets*

Bonehew Amn+Amn or Shael+Amn
    Reaper's Toll
    Arloc's Needle
    Blackleech Blade

11. Arutha

Arutha IncGamers Member

Some weapons I use on merc are eth great polaxe insight, eth cryptic axe obedience( my hammer pallys merc does up to 10k with this), and i have a eth 4os crytic axe i found that i think im gonna make infinity in.

12. Agateryon

Agateryon IncGamers Member

i can give a free reapers toll if you want to :)