Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Merc Weapon Redux

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Spearthrower, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Spearthrower

Spearthrower IncGamers Member

Merc Weapon Redux

Having just found

Bonehew
    Ogre Axe
    Two-Hand Damage: 112 to 580
    Durability: 32 of 50
    Required Dexterity: 75
    Required Strength: 195
    Required Level: 64
    Polearm Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: 75
    Fingerprint: 0x761034b1
    +300% Enhanced Damage
    30% Increased Attack Speed
    Prevent Monster Heal
    50% Chance to cast Level 16 Bone Spear on striking
    Level 14 Corpse Explosion (9/30 Charges)
    Socketed (2: 0 used)

I am a bit torn over what to keep on my merc. I see a lot of posts supporting the use of:

Hone Sundan
    Yari
    'AmnShaelAmn'
    Two-Hand Damage: 103 to 209
    Durability: 28 of 28
    Required Strength: 101
    Required Level: 37
    Spear Class - Fast Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: 57
    Fingerprint: 0xf8dc5c9a
    +187% Enhanced Damage
    +20 to Minimum Damage
    +40 to Maximum Damage
    14% Life stolen per hit
    20% Increased Attack Speed
    45% Chance of Crushing Blow
    Repairs 1 durability in 10 seconds
    Socketed (3: 3 used)

I realise that the crushing blow is the main reason for it, but I was wondering if people rated the generally higher damage of the Bonehew to be worth it for a Merc? :rolleyes:

2. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

Try both see what works best for you

3. Jaedhann

Jaedhann IncGamers Member

Hhhmmm, the hone for bosses and critters with a lot of hitpoints, so you can take maximum use of the cb. For critters with little hitpoints the bonehew will do much better.

Jae

4. wwyvern

wwyvern IncGamers Member

Up the Hone. Be aware of the high dexterity requirement resulting via the upping process.

5. Spearthrower

aman - I am asking here for a reason! ;) I realise I can try them both out, i want to know what other people think.

Jaedhann - thanks, but I dont intend to carry round one of these to switch around before hitting a boss..... :)

Wwyvern - I dont have a Lum going spare to do that.... in fact, i dont have a Lum and the first couple will be used for other things.

6. Gaz

Gaz IncGamers Member

Depends what character you're playing. If you're playing a sorc type (sorc, fishymancer, magezon, lightning zon) I would stick with the Hone Sundan becuase the low hit point monsters you'll take out fairly easily anyway, and the crushing blow makes a huge difference on the bosses.

If you're playing a character that relies on crushing blow (jabazon/barb/anything physical damage) give the merc the bonehew. you should already be doing enough crushing blow to cover and the additional damage will make a difference once you drop the bosses hitpoints, as well as give you slightly better merc crowd control.

7. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

Note that the Bonehew does have an extremely high (for a mercenary) strength requirement so you may want to stick with the Hone Sundan as you can use that earlier. The Crushing Blow really is very nice.

That said I would switch to the Bonehew when possible. I do have a mercenary using the Bonehew and it works quite well, but I had to socket it with a -15% requirement jewel to do so initially. You can socket the Bonehew with Amn runes for life leach to keep your mercenary alive fairly easily (due to high damage and fast attack) once you no longer need the -requirement bonus.

8. Llathias

Llathias Banned

You won't like this answer, but that really depends on the type of merc, the build of the character, other pieces of equipment, what you use the char for and what purpose the merc serves.

For example, if you have a Meph/Pindle runner sorc with a HF merc, Hone Sundan is the way to go. However, for a fanatic pally with might merc (who's wearing Guillaume's and Duress) running the pits or cows, Bonehew will probably help more.

9. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

If your merc lacks life leech and crushing blow from his other gear then I vote for the Hone

If he has (or you can get him) plenty of life leech and CB from his helm and armour then I vote for the Bonehew.

-hps

10. wwyvern

wwyvern IncGamers Member

Toss a coin mate and never look back, it's much easier than weighting all these factors :)

11. Spearthrower

Heh.... that's probably closer to what I will do! :)

Let's assume I go for the brand spanking new shiny with big numbers (read: Bonehew) - what to socket it with? I am guessing 2x Amn for leech as it already has 30%IAS..... not sure where to even get information on weapon breakpoints.... it's great being a newb all over again! :D It's like having a second virginity! ;)

12. Deaddave

Deaddave IncGamers Member

haha nice 1 spearthrower, i dont know the break points but i found with bonehew the best gear set up iv found (from what iv got) is gullys face and dureals shell. (still havnt socted my bonehew)

13. NacRuno

NacRuno IncGamers Site Pal

I am almost sure that i am allowed to post this link;
    http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english
    [please warn me if i am wrong so that i can erase it.]

You can find here all the attack speed calculations for all characters and mercs, with every weapon. click on 'show IAS/FPA table' to see the IAS/FPA table :tongue:

Hope that helps....

PS: but i am not sure about one thing, that site gives the jab skill breakpoints only, does the merc always use jab or does normal attack has also the same breakpoints? I assume merc doesn't use normal attack :undecided:

EDIT: removed the link than added again :S

14. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

Im pretty sure that link is not allowed to be posted here

15. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

That link is ok, as well as the skill calc :smiley:

16. Llathias

Llathias Banned

Actually, the speed calc is said to have flaws on A2 merc tables. RTB's tables, which are more accurate, can be found here (posts #21-#24)

A quick search came up with this thread in addition to the above. Incidentally, it's also about socketing a Bonehew! A good read, and contains the tables from the first link as well.

17. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

Personally, i'd save the lum and pul runes to up any potential merc weapon unless it's ethereal. That way you're stat reqs are lower for your merc which means he can use it earlier.

I like the bonehew if it was eth. Good damage ...but like others have said - pure damage can be dwarfed by crushing blow against bosses. My upped ethereal Hone Sundan works really well for my summoner-exploder (fishy)

Hone Sundan
    Ghost Spear
    Two-Hand Damage: 96 to 694
    Durability: 28 of 28
    Required Dexterity: 153
    Required Strength: 112
    Required Level: 69
    Spear Class - Fastest Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 86
    Fingerprint: 0x41e3c017
    +182% Enhanced Damage
    +20 to Minimum Damage
    +40 to Maximum Damage
    Required Level +7
    45% Increased Attack Speed
    45% Chance of Crushing Blow
    Repairs 1 durability in 10 seconds
    Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (3: 3 used)

Notice that I just threw in some 15% IAS jools in there and no leech back in the day when it was not upped. What the hey, he survives pretty good and I like to think that i've good crowd control skills with my curses.

I've also upped an eth Kelpie Snare to this:

Kelpie Snare
    Stygian Pike
    Two-Hand Damage: 149 to 652
    Durability: 30 of 35
    Required Dexterity: 87
    Required Strength: 158
    Required Level: 56
    Spear Class - Normal Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 80
    Fingerprint: 0xaaee03d6
    +10 to Strength
    +179% Enhanced Damage
    +30 to Minimum Damage
    +50 to Maximum Damage
    Fire Resist +50%
    Required Level +7
    Slows Target by 75%
    +1 to Life (Based on Character Level)
    Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)

The kelpie stygian pike is really nice within a certain useful parameter. Great for running singular opponents like baal with certain characters. Like a sorc. That way you can have a guillame's for crushing blow, kelpie for slow, holy freeze merc for the extra slow and duress for crit and crushing blow too or fort for extra damage... and then a sorc char with a lower resist wand (charges) and static for halving Baal's health and then the big elemental damage attacks like fireball/meteor/blizz.

But at the moment i'm running pindle for that darn Death's web. That grogs found a dweb off Baal's minions that lucky bugger!

18. Spearthrower

Thanks for the links and info gents.

Some of the problems I have though are due to the fact that I have only recently started playing again.... and while I am in possession of my old stash from 1.09 and before now... I have no desire to use it. I am doing everything non-twinked.

Thus, I can't pull out a load of good runes to do upgrades with and I dont have any support equipment like outlined above (Guilliames face/ Duriel's shell etc)

As this is non-twinked, it's mostly a concern of throwing away such a nice item (Bonehew) if I dont use it with this character. I will keep it in the stash and consider it more!

Thanks for the replies.

19. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

Ive used the Bonehew plenty with great results odds are good that at some near point you will find guills face even if you dont have it now then youll have CB on top of massive damage.
    (who knows maybe two bers will drop from above) But no really Ive always been happy with bonehew.

20. grogs

grogs IncGamers Member

Hopefully this will make you feel better, it has taken me over 11K /p8 Baal runs, 1 level 99 sorc and very close to a 2nd 99er in my hammerdin to get it :wink3: