Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Merc vs Act Bosses: What does it take not to die?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Lynchgrinch, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Lynchgrinch

Lynchgrinch Diabloii.Net Member

Hey SPF,

The title is pretty self explanatory but i'll go into a bit more detail here.

Char and Merc are clvl90. Char is a pretty bog standard Blizz Sorc outfitted for MF, Merc is holy freeze and is currently wearing the following:

Vamp Gaze
    Gladiator's Bane
    The Reaper's Toll

He survives with no issues at all against creeps and 90% of other uniques/superuniques (unless they spawn with TRULY awful mod combination).

I'm limited to Non-ladder runewords (and I'm not rich in runes runes although my participation in the RFL hopes to remedy this!) and a smattering of the standard and really good S/Us.

Let me know your experiences with keeping the morons alive! Thanks in advice!

2. srrw

srrw Diabloii.Net Member

The best way of keeping your merc alive vs Act bosses is for you to tank them (hint: Max Block.). Life Tap wand is also a perfect but rather annoying solution. CtA helps a ton. For Mephisto specifically GA+Kira's+Kelpie does the job really well. For Diablo you tele on top of him so the Lightning blast thing does not hit him, Steel Shade to limit the Firestorm damage and he should be fine. For Baal slow is key i.e. Kelpie. Against Andariel the only possible way I've found is to kill her really fast.

3. DaveW

DaveW Diabloii.Net Member

Sounds like you are MFing the Act Bosses so I assume this is at p1? The advice from srrw is solid. Kelpie does wonders against those bosses. If you can, upgrade to Stygian Pike for extra damage. Also Rattelcage (cheap remedy) or Duress + Guilliames Face for the CB. Dont worry bout life leech the bosses have reduced leechable-ness, and Hell Meph and Diablo you cant leech at all. (Dont know bout Hell Duriel, but then who runs him?) As above Life Tap allows life leeching. As for Andariel, yea she can be a pain. Tanking with Static then IB and odd Blizz for the chilling will help.

4. Causa

Causa Diabloii.Net Member

Against Meph I tanked myself while using static. Then stepped back for orbing. Merc had Kelpie and blackhorn's face. Both have slow and helm also lightnin res +absorb. Sometimes I had to give him red pot, hardly ever rejuv.

I'd say, tank him your self while static and give merc slowing gear.

-Causa

5. Dezrok

Dezrok Diabloii.Net Member

I'd change your armor. Treachery is hard to beat. It only costs Shael+Thul+Lem and doesn't need RWM. My own experience is this makes a huge difference.

The Decrepify from Reaper's should give you enough slowing that you don't need more.

I'd also think about changing from Holy Freeze, which does nothing against bosses. Seeing you're a Blizzsorc you should be chilling everything else anyway? So why not go with a merc that is going to add something extra? Might will help the merc leech which should help him stay alive longer.

6. Darkthrone

Darkthrone Diabloii.Net Member

I am quite partial to the defiance mercenary. I use it for all my characters that aren't melee. They rarely have problems with bosses. Combine it with a weapon that slows, whether that be Reaper's or Kelpie Snare, or something else, they tank the boss without any problems.