Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Merc survival problems

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by lorax, Oct 20, 2006.

1. lorax

lorax IncGamers Member

Merc survival problems

Hello I decided to go for an Meteorb build... and have made some hell boosts..
    But my merc cannot survive mephisto or andy .. I haven't tried the others.. Also of course he dies from iron maiden

He's lvl 83 and uses the following gear:
    Andy face
    Fortitude
    Obedience in eth thresher

This gives him a nice 1k-6k dmg which really helps with CI and FI..

this gives him around 9%ll and 20%ias and a nice 40%FHR (obedience)... and I think andy gives him 15-20% PDR?

Also it's an act2 nm merc..

I wondered if I switched to act2 normal he would survive better..

Also if anyone needs an eth arachnid (102%ed) I have one for sale ...

thanks in advance..

2. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

That should be a really good set up. I use a very similar get set up. Eth Great Poleaxe Obediance, Andy's (Ral'd), and Leviathon. About the only thing your merc is lacking is DR%. (Andy's doesn't have any DR% - that's Vamp Gaze) But a good Eth Fort pretty much makes up for lack of DR with a real high def. About the only thing I'd swap out would be up'd eth shaft. All I can really say is keep leveling. When your skills go up, you'll kill Andy and Meph much faster and that limits your merc exposure time.

I wouldn't recomend switching to a defiance merc - that won't really help for Andy or meph.

Shouldn't offer items for trade here either - there's a trade forum for that.

3. Lowgat

Lowgat IncGamers Member

If it's really a problem buy a life tap wand from act one or use marrowalks. If you tap Meph your merc should be able to go to town w/o any problems.

4. BattleQueen

BattleQueen IncGamers Member

I don't see anything wrong with your merc setup. Perhaps the problem lies with your sorc. If she doesn't kill fast enough, your merc's gonna need some healing potions to last the combat... Be sure to Static Field Meph first before unleashing the meteors..

5. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Mercs really aren't going to survive more than a couple of smacks from Andy. With Meteorb, you should easily be able to FBall her from a safe distance so that your Merc doesn't even get hit.

Meph can be nasty once in a while, but not nearly as often as it sounds like you're experiencing. This is how I would recommend doing it:

1. Teleport to within Static range.
    2. While spamming Static to half health, feed Merc one red potion, whether he's taking damage yet or not (this is probably a good habit to get into).
    3. Teleport away to the optimal Orb distance; feed Merc another red if he has taken substantial damage.
    4. A few well-placed Orbs later and Meph should be no more.

6. lorax

lorax IncGamers Member

My sorc shouldn't have any problems killing him...
    She uses:
    CoH, Shako, Occu, tal amu, magefist, whistans, wts, random belt, torch..

And has max FO and currently 21 CI (used other gear firstly :()

I will try with Gaze instead of Andy..
    Merc will lack Ias though :( ....

Will report back to you once I have tried that setup..

7. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Use the teleport skill defensively! Your merc is better equipped than my Meteorb's (ethCV Insight, Dury's shell, Tal's mask) merc but mine has no troubles surviving.

When you see his life drop a bit, teleport nearby and he'll teleport with you. This means he's no longer getting smacked on by those nasties. He'll immediately walk back to the action, thus providing that meat shield again between you and the nasty monsters. Just throw in a teleport here and there between blasting to keep your merc out of too much harm, and i'll guarantee he'll never die if you do it skillfully enough.

Against Andy, teleport away immediately when he gets next to her, she hits hard. She'll swing, miss, and you'll be a short distance away. Andy should be a piece of cake for a Meteorb (or any fire sorc for that matter), she usually dies in less than 10 fireballs anyway. Just spam away, don't even worry about static. You can kill her with FB's before your merc even reaches her.

I find that using Meteors and spamming FB in between vs Meph brings him down faster, but I use full Tal's set on my Meteorb with the -15% fire resist speeding things up nicely. Still tele in, static, then back off to kill him. My retired CL/Orber used Orb to kill him, but that's because her Lightning was weak in comparison.

You look like you're only running 50% FCR, 70% if you're using FCR rings. I roll with no less than the 63% breakpoint on my sorcs, casting at that speed is crucial for survival and killing speed. 105% FCR is even better than that, it's what my current Tal's Meteorb sorc runs. I sacrifice blocking (using Spirit), but I find that playing a sorceress requires a certain finesse with teleporting to keep yourself alive.