Merc Setups

Merc Setups

I was thing on some merc setups for my fishymancer

Setup 1
Eth Vampire Gaze
Eth Shaftstop
Infinity CV?

Setup 2
Guilehama (that stupid name and ugly hat thingie)
Fortitude
Infinity CV?

Setup 3
Dream Helm
Coh/forti/Shaft
Infinity CV?

I don't what merc I shall use.. And whats the difference between infinity Collussus Voulge and Cryptic Axe?

I think setup 1 is the best because of the 50% dmg reduce.. or does that not count on mercs??

Zarniwoop

Diabloii.Net Member
Swap the helm for a guilliame's face.

Crushing blow is better than anything else on a merc.

You could spend hundreds of high runes, and you wouldn't appreciably outperform a merc setup that you can get for pgems. That's NOT the case if you decide to run ubers.

I prefer an insight because I'm lazy and hate replenishing pots, but infinity will be the next toy I play with to see how it affects my mages.

Zarniwoop

Diabloii.Net Member
CA is faster. Can be a difference maker in leeching in some cases. But in all honesty, it really makes no difference.

I'm not certain on the range of the two weapons.

and how is the dmg between those too?

Inifinity doesn't have life leech.. so I need a helm with life leech right? Only 2 helms i can think of are Crown of Thieves and Vampire Gaze wich one do you suggest? and why?

Eilo Rytyj

Diabloii.Net Member
CA is faster. Can be a difference maker in leeching in some cases. But in all honesty, it really makes no difference.

I'm not certain on the range of the two weapons.
CA is not faster than CV. They are the same speed. CA has 0.5 higher average damage than CV, and lower strength requirements and slightly higher dex requirements.

Range is constant for mercs. Weapon range is not an issue.

Zarniwoop

Diabloii.Net Member
If you go with the infinity, you'll have 40 crushing blow which is plenty for most bosses. I'd still use a guillaime's for 75 crushing blow, but if you don't like rezzing your merc every several runs, use a vampire gaze with high physical damage reduction.

Can have up to 20 percent physical damge reduction. Combine with a shaftstop for an easy 50 percent physical damage reduction.

Another nifty option is andy's visage. 20 IAS, +2 all skills, significant life leech, up to 30 strength, etc. It's a very good helm.

I guess, if I had to choose a pairing with infinity it would be andy's. If a monster hits hard enough to seriously damage your merc, damage reduction and lifetap won't save him. Only thing that can fix that is Lifetap (or a stream of blue pots) and I dont run lifetap ever outside Uber Tristram.

One setup I keep meaning to try is:

1. Andy's helm (+2 to might aura)
2. +2 eth arkaine's valor (+2 might aura)
3. +4 arioc's needle (+4 might aura).

I'd love to see that run if it didnt lose the crushing blow. Anyone know how much the extra 8 to the aura jacks up damage? Might be a cool setup just to play around with. Maybe stick an amn in the arioc. Would be a great trash clearer.

Noite Escura

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd love to see that run if it didnt lose the crushing blow. Anyone know how much the extra 8 to the aura jacks up damage? Might be a cool setup just to play around with. Maybe stick an amn in the arioc. Would be a great trash clearer.
Might gains 10% damage per point. 80% over your base damage thus. Not that great, but may be interesting you have summonmancer...

omgwtfbbqpwned

Diabloii.Net Member
IMHO, with a Skelliemancer, you don't need to place too much defensive-oriented gear (or any for that instance), since 99% of the time he'll have Skellies around him to help absorb damage and kill. He doesn't really need the Shaftstop/V-Gaze combo if he's surrouned by Skellies.

With my Skelliemancer, I just think of my Might mercenary as an "extra strong Skellie Warrior who also supports with Auras". I think around 10% L-Leech is really all you need for him to stay alive.

Like others said, go with items that benifit the rest of your minions, or further enhance his ability to kill.

Edit: And with regard to your set-up, I would consider Andy's/CoH/Infinity or Guillame/Duress/Infinity.