Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Merc Question

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Dennis_KoreanGuy, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Dennis_KoreanGuy

Dennis_KoreanGuy IncGamers Member

Merc Question

Hey guys. I know this doesn't really fit the Sorc Forum but it's for my sorc and it seems better than Statistics so...

I have a lvl ** A2 Holy Freeze Merc.

I'd like to mention that I'm NL so no Infinity or such for my Lightning Sorc.

Current Equipment

Eth Bonehew (-15% Req Jool / Amn)
    Delirium Bone Visage or Visor or w/e
    Shaftstop (29% EDamage)

but this setup was "Back in the Days" where I was poor and couldn't afford stuff... now I'm thinking of getting an EBotD Polearm for my merc and getting a different Soc in Shaft.

Delirium I need it to stay because it is really INSANE with melee mercs and seriously it RULES when more than 75% of the time the monsters are fighting each other, stunned, or fleeing just because of Delirium... truly beats any Gaze / Guillaum BIG TIME!

Shaftstop... where I just like its 30% DR, but now instead of that crummy 29% ED, I will get a new soc. I realize that mercs have their own IAS bp's, but I have no clue what they are and I've never made a melee char in my life so I never understood the base weapon speed, IAS, and all the numerical stuff. If I need to, I will get a 40/15 IAS jewl in it. If I won't break the bp with it, might as well just get like a Cham (cannot be Frozen) maybe? Maybe a Jah (5% Max Life Increase)? Ber(8% DR)? Um(15 All Res)?

For the weapon... well I haven't decided what to use. I have easy access to a EBotD Lance right now, but I was wondering whether I should get Ghost Spear or Hyperion Spear or War Pike... What is most effective in terms of damage + speed? My merc has enough str + dex to wear any of them... :thumbsup:

Feedback please...

- Dennis

2. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

hmm. i don't see any need to upgrade. he's surviving just fine, right? delirium is a great helm for survivability. weapon doesn't really matter, whatever you can afford is fine, although etheral bonehew is good enough.

yes, i would put cbf in the armor somehow. i don't see anything good on the runeword front. etheral steel carapice, perhaps?

3. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

According to the base weapon speed of the weapon in question the amount of ias you need on him/her to hit certain fps rates could be found here:

http://diabloii.net/townsfolk/mercias/

Also huge physical dmg output doesn't always tell the full story. Crushing blow helps a lot in act boss scenarios and one weapon i find that has a balance of both is Hone Sundan yari (Eth Obedience on ladder) :D CBF works great for my necro's might merc vs hell baal as he is not slowed down and leeches enuff life as a result when taking dmg. A simple Duriel's Shell would do - cham shaft if you have the means is even better as it offers nice dr too. Cheers :D

4. Dennis_KoreanGuy

Dennis_KoreanGuy IncGamers Member

Well this is how I see it. People have 1350 Def Archon Enigma, and 1350 Def Dusk Enigma, and they prefer Archon over Dusk... when the Str Req for Archon is 103 and Dusk is 77... 26 pt difference! Normally this means 52 extra Life for the Dusk user, unless they have a lot of +str item that they can wear before hitting 77... but people use Archon anyways. Why? because its "better" in a way because its rarer... and everybody else says so.

So why am I choosing EBotD > EBone Hew? because I get easily peer pressured and I will wear what is "better" in the standard of general D2 community instead of what is actually "better".

Lol no just joking. I've decided on EBotD War Pike because of its fast base wep speed... It will dish out far more damage than my Bonehew, Poison Nova seems cooler than Bone Spear, +30 all attributes making his stuff easier to wear, more IAS, and various small stuff I like such as -25% enemy Def...

Thank you very much for the informative link. The only problem is I don't know crap what to do with the base wep speed... What relations do they have with % IAS?

Yes CB does help a lot in fact against boss cases... but I use my sorc's merc simply when I am rushing ppl because it has couple more faster frame casts than my Windy Druid, and I find act bosses with 75% Light Resi in Hell quite an edible breakfast for my 41K Lightnings... really all I ever use the merc for is its Holy Freeze and diversion when I'm rapid teleing in Hell Baal runs or something of the sort...

Cham for the Shaft it is then!

Any ideas whether I really should use War Pike when there are better things?

- Dennis

5. xeyloderixed

xeyloderixed IncGamers Member

actually ogre axe have better base speed than war pikes, but ogre axes dont come with 6 sockets.

if u are concerned about mercias, then just go for the fastest elite one (ghost spear for spears and threshers for polearms). i dont have the bps at hand, and im too lazy to search (although i have it somewhere). if u do find a good table, just make a botd out of anything that matches your speed tastes.

anyways, if u still have trouble after reading this, pm me. ill get u more informative answers later.

good luck.