Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Merc question

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Toxis, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Toxis

Toxis Diabloii.Net Member

Merc question

Hi guys :howdy:

In your opinion what is the best merc a sorc can have. i know an act 2 mercs springs to mind straight away because of their auras. But are act 5 and act 1 mercs totally useless? any thoughts?

- Toxis

2. Chimaira

Chimaira Diabloii.Net Member

act 1 & 5 mercs aren't useless, but the auras make all the difference. Also sorceresses really need a good tank, which kind of rules out act 1 mercs. Act 5 mercs can be good tanks and I think they have a higher regeneration rate than act 2 mercs, but still an act 2 merc with Defiance/Holy Freeze is more survivable + they can help out your party. There is also a much wider/better weapon selection for act 2 mercs than act 1 & 5...The Reaper's Toll, Hone Sundan, Kelpie Snare, Bonehew, Infinity, Insight, all excellent weapons.

3. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Diabloii.Net Member

Well I don't think that you can pick out one merc that is best for all sorcs. When you consider the variety of different sorc builds you have to realize that they will all have different needs. That being said, the a2 mercs are basically the way to go. My sorc has a lvl 85 a5 merc and he does his job very well, but an a2 merc would probably do it better. The a1 merc is also useful, but not to most sorc builds. Generally, a ranged attacker wants a tank and not another ranged attacker. Its not that the a1&5 are useless, they work well if equipped well- its just that the a2 mercs mostly work better.

I'd also like to point out that A3 mercs do exist. They are constantly over-looked and almost never used. For that reason alone I like to use one on certain characters. You should consider at least trying one out sometime, they add style points to any build.

4. garion

garion Diabloii.Net Member

i usualy use act 3 mercs through normal...until i get to nm act 2 then i swithc out for either a holy freeze or might merc (bowazon...summoner...etc) for most of my chars....

5. KiLLiNDaY

KiLLiNDaY Diabloii.Net Member

i find that act 3 merce is very useful, especially for a fire sorce. A cold merce often uses glacial spike and that can help your metoer/firewall effect them fully. and if it is a special type monster it'll slow them down like holy freeze. but this way if it is a normal monster it will freeze them and your firewall/meteor will have full effect.

6. raffster

raffster Diabloii.Net Member

hello. i'm leveling an act 5 merc for my lightning sorc from normal difficulty and he's almost level 50 now. he seems to be doing his job not any better or less than an act 5 i had for another sorc i once had. what i've noticed is that for non physical immune monsters, he kills a lot faster than act 5 mercs. i'm not in hell mode yet so that's where the true test will be.

i don't care so much for the auras but i can see how holy freeze can help slow down the monsters. we'll see how long before i really see the advantage of the act 2 over the act 5 mercs. it also boils down to equipment. i'm giving my merc the best stuff at hell level so if he doesn't do his job, i'm getting an act 2 merc.