Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Merc Question for Thrower

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by MaddMartigan, May 29, 2008.

1. MaddMartigan

MaddMartigan IncGamers Member

Merc Question for Thrower

Ok, so I haven't played in quite a while, and when I did, it was all the rage to get a might merc and throw a big ole DOOM on him. Now that I'm on ladder after literally years I want to make my old fav, a throw barb, and I can't decide what one of these new fangled rune words to use. It doesn't seem to me that the two popular ones, Insight and Infinity, would really benefit me. I like the idea of getting an aura that boosts my damage, but really want a merc that can tank and hold mobs at arm (or axe) length. I've got a *****in' phoenix shield available for trade, so I can pretty much get whatever. Thanks for any advice!:afro:

Edit: I was considering for a moment maybe something OTHER than an act 2 merc, like a rogue with a Faith bow or something... I dunno.

2. Ed from Russia

Ed from Russia IncGamers Member

Re: Merc Question for Thrower

Unless you use Gimmershreds, I would probably go for a Might merc with Reaper's Toll (with ctc Decrepify). Or maybe Pride but I wouldn't spends the HRs for it.

Other equipment would be a helm with leech (Tal's, Andy's or Gaze) and a high-defense armor with nice mods (Fort, Shaftstop, Duress, ...)

3. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Act 1 is a alternative and a act2 Blessed Aim/Doom can be helpful with a thrower.

4. DH Amazon

DH Amazon IncGamers Member

Faith+Giant Skull (knockback) merc keeps you safe. And you need lots of ias without fana aura. At its iron maiden safe. And she pops those black skeletons quite often for extra safety. Threachery/Duress armor for her.

I had 6x gimmershred, but didn't like them, those run out so fast. Those white knives (warshrike) I liked much better. And with nature piece ring, almost must for full game pits/full game baal. That RIP and cannot heal are so nice.
    And that oak gives you 500...1000 life, and ranged char can keep it alive.
    Repair cost is about 1000 gold, so you can recast when needed.

You have 2 knockback sources, giant skull and glegclaw gloves, usually not needed, but keep in stash for some areas. LoH much better for damage.

Atmas amu for full games, almost any other works if soloing. And atmas gives solution for immunes. Not needed if using Act2 (reapers toll) merc.

You need only 40 ias for 4frame throw with fana, so knives give 30 and LoH hloves takes care of rest. Razortail is good belt.

For safety set, use glegclaw gloves+Nosferatu belt to keep 4frame speed. Knockback+35% slow should be safe enough almost everywhere.

Forty armor+Gore boots+Raven ring+Arreat helmet.And +max charms, you don't need much life from charms, its safe build.

Something like that, and 4 set of knives. And maybe keep 2xfleshripper in stash if you do after full game baal, those huge bosses are impossible to throw dead, at least with act1 merc.

5. MaddMartigan

MaddMartigan IncGamers Member

I'm actually probably going dual lacerators or lacerator/gimmer. I actually had little problem earlier with bosses, just cuz amp damage would brutalize them. I think my damage on my last thrower was like 4.5k or so per throw. Thus far I have;

Arreats
    Gores
    Razortail
    Highlords
    Ravenfrosts
    Lacerators
    Gimmer
    Fort
    Faith bow
    Nigma

An Uber pally dropped all his gear on me, which is sweet but I really hate paladins. I have a sweet *** eth exile that I can probably get a ton of runes for, maybe that's where I'll grab merc armor and other stuff. I'mm definitely going the Frenzy route to build speed and cast amp, then unload on mobs. I wonder if equiping dracs would make a high level build like this Uber viable... eh, dunno.