Merc Leveling

HapyHrt

Diabloii.Net Member
Merc Leveling

Hi! I've read that keeping your normal merc to the end creates a better merc. I'm level 38 and ready to move to NM, but merc is only level 22. Where can I level him up? I'm scared he won't be able to handle cows and dies during Baal's minions too. Thanks!

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
I assume this is about an act 2 merc, right ?

There might be other ways, but this is how I would do it:

Give him e.g. Wormskull, Twitchthroe (worth 3 pgems each) and the biggest damage polearm or spear he can wear (visit she shops for it), with IAS, if possible. 5%LL should be enough because there is no leech penalty in normal mode.

Level him in the act 4 areas and as soon as he is L25, switch to Baal minion runs, then quest through nightmare and then do nm Baal minion runs. He will still die a lot, but revive him immediately if there is a chance that he can survive the problematic encounter if you try it again more cautiously.

As soon as his level and stats allow it, switch to Gaze, Gris armor with 3 IAS jewels and e.g. Pierre Tombale Couant (ethereal if possible). That would be good enough for all of nightmare, including Baal minions. Alternatives are Black Hades, Crown of Thieves, Tal's Helm or a cruel polearm or spear, but these items have a higher level req.

When he is L75, he can wear Reaper's Toll which will make him good enough for hell mode, even when keeping the armor and helm.

HapyHrt

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks!

Yep, it is an Act 2 merc. Thanks for the advice. Now, I just have to be patient and let him do some killing. Thanks again!

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
Perhaps you know this, but the mercs from nightmare are the ones with the most popular auras, especially the defensive and the offensive one. Check here for a list. I never used those from normal mode, except for leveling and questing with my character.

HapyHrt

Diabloii.Net Member
Just to make sure...

Having a definace merc that has been leveled up from normal is better than buying one at the Hell level, right? I hired the defense act merc in Normal. Thanks, I'm always learning.

HapyHrt

Diabloii.Net Member
Now, I'm not sure

Now I'm not sure, I just logged into my character and I notice that neither I nor my merc has the aura. Geez :confused:

HapyHrt said:
Now I'm not sure, I just logged into my character and I notice that neither I nor my merc has the aura. Geez :confused:
a couple things. 1) he has to reach a certain skill level before he'll start using his aura (i don't remember exactly what lvl it is) 2) it doesn't just pop on as soon as you start a game. he seems to cast it at random once you leave town. i've had auras come on as soon as i've gone through wps. other times it never comes on. but once it's on it stays on unless he or you dies. or you leave the game.

also, there's a very helpful chart for leveling mercs on this page. the link doesn't seem to be working at the moment. but try checking it later

http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=580#Merc Stats and Leveling Mercs

Myrakh-2

Diabloii.Net Member
The merc doesn't just randomly turn the aura on.

The aura is an "attack", similar to the "Inner Sight" attack from the rogues. The merc will turn it on eventually when he attacks monsters; the chance for the merc to use his "aura attack" depends on his level, and is getting lower as the merc levels up --- so it might take a little longer at higher levels for the aura to activate.

This also means the merc will not activate his aura if he doesn't get a chance to attack monsters --- like when you go back to lower difficulty levels, killing monsters long before the merc even gets to notice them :) Or if you play a Skelemancer and your minions "get in the way" all the time...

of course it's an attack, but when he uses it is random. i've had it come on as soon as i come through wps with no monsters on the screen. and i've run river of flame before without it coming on at all. usually it comes on within the first 30 seconds of him fighting, but you never know.

amb

Diabloii.Net Member
krischan said:
He will still die a lot, but revive him immediately...
At the risk of sounding incredibly noobish, how exactly do you revive, heal and equip a merc?

Thanks!

druliusCleaver

Diabloii.Net Member
amb said:
At the risk of sounding incredibly noobish, how exactly do you revive, heal and equip a merc?

Thanks!
These should work unless you've changed your default control settings. I also assume you are playing LoD expansion, because there is a difference between classic and expansion. I don't think you can equip mercs in classic.

to revive: talk to the vendor in each town that can resurrect the mercs, it's Kashya in act 1.

to heal: if you hold down shift when you drink a potion from your belt, you will give it to the merc instead, or you can drop a potion on their icon (upper left corner).

to equip: push 'o' on the keyboard, or right click on their icon (hover over it until it lights up, then right click). Drag gear into place, they can be picky about the gear they will use, like Rogue scouts won't carry swords.